Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by étudiant fatigué)
Is meeting up with friends different?
Do you talk to less or more people?
How much studying do you have to do?
Meeting up with friends different from what?
More or less people than what?

A lot of studying. It takes up the majority of your time.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
SoftGingerCat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There is so much studying but it's so worth it if you want to take A levels. At my sixth form the enviroment is so nice and I can get so much work done. Friends have kinda changed but thats to be expected as you grow up so try not to worry about it.
étudiant fatigué
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
How often do u meet with friends
Anonymous12311
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
How often do u meet with friends
Sometimes it depends on how busy your friends are. I still meet with my secondary school friends who attend other sixth forms/colleges and I see them atleast once a month but sometimes I don’t see them for like 2-3 months,it depends really

We make more of an effort to meet when it someone’s birthday and when there are holidays ☺️
Last edited by Anonymous12311; 4 weeks ago
étudiant fatigué
Rep:
?
Do u hang out with sixth form friends out of school?
Anonymous12311
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Do u hang out with sixth form friends out of school?
Yeah. We are a group of 5. 3 of us (including myself) attend the same sixth form whereas the other 2 attend college and another sixth form. You just have to make it work somehow if friendship is a concern for you.
Hass3n7
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Work is more intense but more interesting. You will make friends and lose some old ones. I generally see my friends a lot as we do a lot of our work/revision together. It really does depend on what suits you.
blacksheep8
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm writing from the perspective give of staying at the sixth form my school was a part of.

Meeting up with friends was a bit different. In my experience meeting up was more or less the same in year 12, but me and my friends seem to both get closer and then more distant. We got closer because we were older and related over similar things at that age, but then we got more distant because she started going out with boys and caring a lot about looking cool. We got even more distant in year 13 because she went to another school part of our sixth form, but I was alright because I got closer with someone who had similar values to me. Sometimes I would spend time alone which was actually really pleasant. The main difference between school and sixth form is that you can be alone. At school it's really difficult to be alone because you're there for 7 hours every day of the week. Sixth has way less hours, and you can leave when you want a lot of the time. This means you can disengage from bad friends and focus on yourself. It was very peaceful and freeing. Good for your mental health.

I think overall I spoke less to people, for example at break time before lessons I wouldn't speak a lot to people. But just like at GCSE when your classes change up and you get put with new people, you start talking to more people you usually wouldn't have, which is often really nice.

More studying is needed at a-level for sure because you've got less subjects, but in way more detail, and the expectations are higher than before, say for example, in English. This doesn't mean you have to study way more. I didn't, but then again, I got mediocre grades and had some stress because our teachers were mad about league tables. They'd shout at people and threaten those who weren't getting good grades, or weren't attending regularly enough. This was the worst thing about our sixth form. I can't speak for all, but our sixth form were too stringent, unsympathetic, and motivated for the wrong reasons, e.g. grades for the school's league tables over student's health and wellbeing. They had the capability to kick students out, and they did. This was the worst thing about our sixth form.

Apart from that sixth form is the bomb. The subjects are way more interesting, and if you're lucky you'll get good teachers. There's loads of free-time, you can chill on your own, you can go out for lunch, you can meet new people if you want, you do have more respect from the teachers, etc.
StrangeLilBean
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I stayed at my school sixth form, as did most of my friends. Nothing really changed for me in terms of people tbh.
study_blr
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Not really. You just maybe see them less (if you use your frees wisely) or just a breaks and lunches. Depends how much you revise. You may have less of a social life.

Depends on how you are. I got more social at sixth form because everyone knows everyone and people care less about cliques.

Teachers say at least 3-5 hours per week per subject. I usually do 4 hours a day (Including frees at school) but this may increase if i'm feeling extra productive.
philipd
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's so easy, you can see everyone you want. Work is easy, you have so few deadlines, the courses are easy, the lessons are more interesting and everyone is there because they want to be. Most of all its easy though and doesn't take a lot of work.
SomeWelshGuy123
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)

A lot of studying. It takes up the majority of your time.
That is not true in the slightest. When I was at 6th form, admittedly a few years ago now, studying was a couple of hours a week at most, going out took priority.
DrawTheLine
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SomeWelshGuy123)
That is not true in the slightest. When I was at 6th form, admittedly a few years ago now, studying was a couple of hours a week at most, going out took priority.
I think you mean it wasn't true in the slightest for you.
SomeWelshGuy123
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
I think you mean it wasn't true in the slightest for you.
No it's not true in the slightest for anyone who remotely has a life. Was recommended to spend 2-3 hours per subject.
DrawTheLine
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SomeWelshGuy123)
No it's not true in the slightest for anyone who remotely has a life. Was recommended to spend 2-3 hours per subject.
I guess my sixth form was just different to yours then.

2-3hours in what time scale?
alevels2020
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
1. All my friends from high school went to the same college but I went to a completely different one and I dont really speak to them now apart from 2/3. I'm still quite close with the ones I do speak to. I have made new friends here and honestly Im so much happier with my new friends.
2. For me, I have my group of friends who I talk to all the time and then my friends in lesson who I dont really talk to outside of lesson.
3. Be prepared to study. A lot. And revise for every little test you have, it'll help you so much!
19Matt19
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
At A-level you get to choose the 3 subjects you're particularly interested in and study them in greater detail compared to studying a wide range of subjects in less detail at GCSE. With regards to friends you make new friends and loose some old ones. I found hanging out with my friends as a great way to relax from studying - particulary in year 13. The bottom line is work hard and dedicate yourself because your future self will thank you for it! But also experience all the great social things that happen with your friends e.g. learning to drive, turning 18, independance.
blackvoid17
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I stayed in my same school for sixth form so meeting up with friends didnt change too much. You obviously do more studying since a levels are much harder, but you also get free periods which are useful (if used wisely)
étudiant fatigué
Rep:
?
How often do u meet friends out of school
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (7)
11.67%
Yes - a food allergy (5)
8.33%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (3)
5%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (4)
6.67%
No (41)
68.33%

Watched Threads