The Student Room Group

Mild acne and Benzoyl peroxide

Been using BP for 5 weeks and not sure if I am seeing any results yet. Also I am worried because I haven’t felt much of the irritation,skin peeling and dryness. I have felt irritated once or twice in certain spots but that’s it

It’s 5% BP and I apply a pea size amount every night to my face. I started moisturising in the day because apparently BP has aging side effects.

Not sure I feel like I need some guidance really want to clear my skin.

I’m also using gentle aloe Vera face wash,drinking enough water, and have sugar in moderation
Original post by SuperHuman98
Been using BP for 5 weeks and not sure if I am seeing any results yet. Also I am worried because I haven’t felt much of the irritation,skin peeling and dryness. I have felt irritated once or twice in certain spots but that’s it

It’s 5% BP and I apply a pea size amount every night to my face. I started moisturising in the day because apparently BP has aging side effects.

I’m also using gentle aloe Vera face wash,drinking enough water, and have sugar in moderation

I had consistent mild acne for years that wouldn't go away no matter what products I used or creams/antibiotics I took. In the end I went on isotretinoin/roaccutane and that transformed my skin so it's completely clear now! Perhaps go to the gp and see if they can prescribe you something that might help if you don't think your skin is improving.

Keep using gentle face washes and remember to keep your skin moisturised. Do you wear makeup?

Lucy
5% never worked for me, I bumped it up to 10% and all acne went.

Make sure you only use it at night, wash your face straight after you wake up and I think you need to use an SPF mosituriser because BP makes your skin UV sensitive but not sure.

I don't recommend BP btw - if it works and you stop using it, your skin will breakout like crazy as it adjust to you not using BP anymore. BP only treats, it doesn't cure acne so find what is causing your acne and target that.
Reply 3

Same thing happened to me - need to drop BP cos it's **** on it's own

Get on Epiduo - has adapalene and BP - had mild acne but got loads of white heads and Epiduo made those f**c**** go away
Original post by f***HR
Same thing happened to me - need to drop BP cos it's **** on it's own

Get on Epiduo - has adapalene and BP - had mild acne but got loads of white heads and Epiduo made those f**c**** go away

Depends from person to person.

Epiduo made my skin much worse but BP actually cleared it - but I dislike both creams.
Reply 5
Original post by ZombieTheWolf
Depends from person to person.

Epiduo made my skin much worse but BP actually cleared it - but I dislike both creams.

Oh fair - think we both can agree on "f*** acne"?
Reply 6
Did nothing for me, I think it's a quack remedy designed to make money for drug companies and Boots. If you have persistent acne that causes distress I would hound the GP for some help.
Original post by hallamstudents
I had consistent mild acne for years that wouldn't go away no matter what products I used or creams/antibiotics I took. In the end I went on isotretinoin/roaccutane and that transformed my skin so it's completely clear now! Perhaps go to the gp and see if they can prescribe you something that might help if you don't think your skin is improving.

Keep using gentle face washes and remember to keep your skin moisturised. Do you wear makeup?

Lucy

Thanks I will probably ask my gp when I next see them,

Original post by Zarek
Did nothing for me, I think it's a quack remedy designed to make money for drug companies and Boots. If you have persistent acne that causes distress I would hound the GP for some help.

GP was the one who prescribed me BP. My acne is mild but I have never had clear skin, my acne does affect my confidence
Original post by ZombieTheWolf
5% never worked for me, I bumped it up to 10% and all acne went.

Make sure you only use it at night, wash your face straight after you wake up and I think you need to use an SPF mosituriser because BP makes your skin UV sensitive but not sure.

I don't recommend BP btw - if it works and you stop using it, your skin will breakout like crazy as it adjust to you not using BP anymore. BP only treats, it doesn't cure acne so find what is causing your acne and target that.

Thanks, online I have read that you don’t need 5 or 10 and that 2.5 is enough. So I guess it’s different for everyone.
Thanks, online I have read that you don’t need 5 or 10 and that 2.5 is enough. So I guess it’s different for everyone.

Only use 10% if you used 5% before because, oh boy! You will feel the difference! So make sure not to go straight to 10% if you don't already use 5%, and maybe use 10% one day and 5% next etc.

Personally, having less spots outweighed the itchiness and all for me so I just transitioned to it instantly 😂 good luck!
Reply 10
Thanks I will probably ask my gp when I next see them,

GP was the one who prescribed me BP. My acne is mild but I have never had clear skin, my acne does affect my confidence

Go back and tell them it's not doing the trick. I guess it's reasonable that they want to work through the options, from the most gentle upwards. The problem, which I experienced, was this can take years all the while you suffer angst and cause skin damage by prodding at spots. Avoid this by the way as I think it can do more damage than the acne. Also get an independent view on how unsightly you acne is. It seems quite mild from what you say and perhaps isn't as big a deal as you think.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest