Luizkana
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hello everyone, I'm an undergraduate student in the US and I will have my Biology BA degree (with a Chemistry minor) finished up in December 2019 with my current overall GPA being 3.83. I am supposed to start the application process for US medical schools this spring for the 2020 cycle and I am planning on taking the MCAT exam in May, in case I don't get into any UK medical schools. However, I am originally from Poland and would prefer to be closer to home and family because I realized I will lead a happier life that way. I'm looking for any information, tips, or advice that you guys might have to help me apply to medical schools in the UK. I would like to stay in the UK following graduation so I'm not worried about not getting into residency in the US as an international student.

I have found out that in the UK, the study of medicine starts at the undergraduate level (https://occameducation.com/what-are-...us-and-the-uk/), but I will already have an undergraduate degree; will that help me anyhow?

I have dual US/Polish citizenship; can I use that to defer some fees etc since Poland is in the EU and EEA? Do I still need a UK study visa in that case? What else would I need? Should I apply for citizenship in the UK or something else if I am looking to stay there after graduation?

I also found a website (https://www.naric.org.uk/naric/) that is supposed to help recognize and compare international qualifications. I'm not sure if it is required to go through this process or not (pretty pricey too). Does anyone have any insight about this?

I realize I have a rather unusual situation being a citizen of an EU country but (almost) having finished undergraduate studies in the USA. I would really appreciate any information or advice. If you have any questions, please ask!

– Luiza
ltsmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
where do you want to practice medicine? you would be best served studying where you want to practice.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Luizkana)
Interestingly your question have been asked by another person very recently.

The short answer is that you will need to ask indivudual med schools to see if they recognise your undergrad degree.

If not, then you'll have to seek another route of entry (not GEM!)
Luizkana
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Interestingly your question have been asked by another person very recently.

The short answer is that you will need to ask indivudual med schools to see if they recognise your undergrad degree.

If not, then you'll have to seek another route of entry (not GEM!)
What do you mean by "not GEM"? Also, do you think email is sufficient or should I call those individual med schools?
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
What do you mean by "not GEM"? Also, do you think email is sufficient or should I call those individual med schools?
Hi. Check out the differences between GEM and standard undergrad courses. How were you planning on paying for the degree and funding living costs?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I mean
(1) you need to contact (email is probably better because you'll have a record) to ask if they will recognise your degree, and if they don't
(2) then you'll need to consider alternative entry into medicine that's not GEM! (because you must have a degree [that they recognise] to enter GEM)
ltsmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
(2) then you'll need to consider alternative entry into medicine that's not GEM! (because you must have a degree [that they recognise] to enter GEM)
i would have thought some schools would recognise a US bachelors as being equivalent to a UK honours degree?
Siannyallen
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
slightly unrelated but I believe that the graduate entry veterinary medicine courses recognise a relevent US bachelors degree, so maybe some med schools do the same for GEM?
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Siannyallen)
slightly unrelated but I believe that the graduate entry veterinary medicine courses recognise a relevent US bachelors degree, so maybe some med schools do the same for GEM?
Isn't the big advantage of GEM (other than being one year shorter) that student loans apply? I don't believe that the OP would be entitled to them so the difference between 4 and 5 years wouldnt be as great as for a UK based student.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 7 months ago
Hello everyone, I'm an undergraduate student in the US and I will have my Biology BA degree (with a Chemistry minor) finished up in December 2019 with my current overall GPA being 3.83. I am supposed to start the application process for US medical schools this spring for the 2020 cycle and I am planning on taking the MCAT exam in May, in case I don't get into any UK medical schools. However, I am originally from Poland and would prefer to be closer to home and family because I realized I will lead a happier life that way. I'm looking for any information, tips, or advice that you guys might have to help me apply to medical schools in the UK. I would like to stay in the UK following graduation so I'm not worried about not getting into residency in the US as an international student.

I have found out that in the UK, the study of medicine starts at the undergraduate level (https://occameducation.com/what-are-...us-and-the-uk/), but I will already have an undergraduate degree; will that help me anyhow?

I have dual US/Polish citizenship; can I use that to defer some fees etc since Poland is in the EU and EEA? Do I still need a UK study visa in that case? What else would I need? Should I apply for citizenship in the UK or something else if I am looking to stay there after graduation?

I also found a website (https://www.naric.org.uk/naric/) that is supposed to help recognize and compare international qualifications. I'm not sure if it is required to go through this process or not (pretty pricey too). Does anyone have any insight about this?

I realize I have a rather unusual situation being a citizen of an EU country but (almost) having finished undergraduate studies in the USA. I would really appreciate any information or advice. If you have any questions, please ask!

– Luiza
I think ecolier has answered this quite considely and highlighted the issue.

You are in a non standard position and you have to find out whether a medical school will consider you and what for.
The degree is down to their discretion as they are most used to taking pre degree qualifications. You wnat to be in the A*AA or AAA equivalents.
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergra...qualifications

You may appreciate that the UK is leaving the EU this year, so 2019 was the last year that EU students were guaranteed payment of fees. You may be too late plus the fact you already have a degree may make you ineligible plus the fact you may not have the residence requirements could also make funding difficult. When the UK leaves the EU then EU citizens not already resident in the UK will be treated differently just as UK citizens in the EU will be. You would need to get answers to all these questions and most of them are outside your control or depending on events.

It may not be viable to come to the UK unless you have sorted out your finances. You could well just be regarded as an international student. In contrast an EU citizen at unergard level gets home fees.

I dont think UK naric will be needed unless the med school asks for it. Save your money for now. they are used to looking at qualifications from all ver the world.

If I were in your position I would be looking at opportunities in other EU countries as well.
The UK may not be a viable option.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?