This discussion is closed.
CatusStarbright
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
M520 – Literacy Motion 2019, TSR Liberal Democrats
This House calls on the Government to take important action about the standards of literacy in the UK.

It is imperative for children and young people to grow up confident with literacy skills in order to produce a more productive workforce. The estimated cost to the taxpayer arising from failure to master basic literacy skills could be as much as £2.5 billion every year.1

England is the only country in the developed world where those aged 55-to-65 are better in literacy and numeracy than those aged 16-to-24.2 This is surely not an acceptable narrative to continue. And a worrying prospect for the economy should this situation worsen.

This motions calls on the Government to provide a strategy to tackle illiteracy in young people and adults, including greater investment in Early Years Education services so that educational inequalities can be tackled at the start of a child's education, and not allowed to grow.

References
Spoiler:
Show

1. 2009 report into the long term costs of literacy difficulties:
https://readingrecovery.org/images/p...ition_2009.pdf

2. 2016 OECD report:
http://www.oecd.org/unitedkingdom/bu...of-england.pdf

Last edited by CatusStarbright; 4 weeks ago
TheRadishPrince
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Aye.
Despite offering no direct legislation it does, as a motion, fulfill it's purpose in granting a mandate to a future bill producer discussing these topics as they will have approval of the house through this motion.
Joep95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Nay

Pointless motion that they couldn’t even be bothered to think of any actual proposals
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
For the reasons outlined in the House reading, I will be voting against - there are greater priorities that ought to be tackled first, and not simply tackling by arbitrary 'greater investment' - especially when the issue is at least partially down to active decisions taken by parents.
04MR17
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I urge MPs when voting to consider what this motion does. It gives government freedom over how to tackle this problem (quite generations for motions) and whilst an increase in investment is called for the government is not bound to follow this specifically should the motion pass. This motion simply allows the house to agree over the importance of literacy in our society.

In the debate on this item members of the government put the blame on children for their own lack of education, I see this as irresponsible rhetoric from a government afraid to do anything meaningful for the good of everyone. Give this motion an aye to hopefully see that change.
London090
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Nay, I'm still disappointed that there has been no further initiative to extend on what they exactly propose to do.
04MR17
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by London090)
Nay, I'm still disappointed that there has been no further initiative to extend on what they exactly propose to do.
Because it's not what the Liberal Democrats are doing, it's for the government to "do".
CatusStarbright
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
In keeping with precedent, I have got mr T to proxy for me for the purposes of this division.
Joep95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Because it's not what the Liberal Democrats are doing, it's for the government to "do".
It’s for the Lib Dem’s to call the government to do
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Stupid motion. Doesn't do anything. Bad evidence. Thank U, next
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
One Aye has been removed due to a double vote in seat 41 (PetrosAC for Concited).
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The Ayes to the right: 22
The Noes to the left: 20
Abstentions: 4

The Ayes have it! The Ayes have it! Unlock!

Turnout: 92%
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (69)
7.97%
I used to but I don't now (24)
2.77%
No, but I want to start (319)
36.84%
No, I am unable to (220)
25.4%
No, I chose not to (234)
27.02%