Would I look stupid wearing a top-hat to lectures? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi everyone,

I am really interested in buying a top-hat, and have found one that I really like and am *so* inclined to buy.

I have quite a traditional dress sense. I am the only person in my college who wears a tie and jacket everyday (even a Sunday), so already stand out.

Do you think that I would look a little out of place if I wore a top-hat at university, or would it match my dress sense?

I am so close to buying this, as I really want a nice hat to wear. The only thing is that I don't see any other student at my university wearing a top-hat, and worry that I may look a little out if place, although I already dress far more formally than the rest anyway.

Does wearing a top-hat still command respect, or would people mock me at uni if I wore one?

https://www.lockhatters.co.uk/men/to...l-top-hat.html
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
£445 for a fricking top hat?! For that price I hope you can pull money out of it instead of white rabbits..
Last edited by Plantagenet Crown; 3 weeks ago
GetTheLondonLook
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
this the look you’re going for v
Spoiler:
Show
:fatcontroller:
Blue_Cow
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Does wearing a top-hat still command respect?

Do it. You will command so much respect they'll make you a Knight Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire.
Last edited by Blue_Cow; 3 weeks ago
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes, you will look stupid.
TimmonaPortella
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Nah OP, actually most people wear top hats to lectures.

Just make sure you don't forget the monocle and cane. Otherwise you'll look quite foolish!
BonsaiColony
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I love vintage wear, normally wear hoodies and jeans, have a few days where I just wear a whole 70s outfit or 50s retro dress cinched at the waist. Sometimes it’s nice dressing ladylike. But a hat. That’s brave. I wouldn’t but you do you son
CoolCavy
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
£445 for a fricking top hat?! For that price I hope you can pull money out of it instead of white rabbits..
What student even has £445 lying about for a top hat lol
TheRadishPrince
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi everyone,

I am really interested in buying a top-hat, and have found one that I really like and am *so* inclined to buy.

I have quite a traditional dress sense. I am the only person in my college who wears a tie and jacket everyday (even a Sunday), so already stand out.

Do you think that I would look a little out of place if I wore a top-hat at university, or would it match my dress sense?

I am so close to buying this, as I really want a nice hat to wear. The only thing is that I don't see any other student at my university wearing a top-hat, and worry that I may look a little out if place, although I already dress far more formally than the rest anyway.

Does wearing a top-hat still command respect, or would people mock me at uni if I wore one?

If I walked into my first ever lecture and saw a gentleman in an expensive top hat he would immediately command my respect as a man of class and of pure confidence.
Daigan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You would look stupid wearing a top hat anywhere. Try being a little more subtle by wearig a mankini.
ltsmith
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
meh.

i doubt anyone would even care.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
There was a student who dressed like this everyday, who was a Junior Year Abroad student at my Oxford college. We all thought he was a serious idiot tbh...
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You'll look the part for BSc Pimpology in this nifty titfer
Name:  titfer.png
Views: 9
Size:  80.8 KB
and would surely be 'top' of the class
DarkChaoz95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
You'll look the part for BSc Pimpology in this nifty titfer
Name:  titfer.png
Views: 9
Size:  80.8 KB
and would surely be 'top' of the class
lmao, OP will end up cosplaying Penguin then..

PQ
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You can get a decent top hat from a joke shop for about a tenner.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
why not dress like these suave chaps ?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/imageserv...2C9&resize=685
mpaprika
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
just make sure the person behind you will be able to see:afro:
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes.
I used to know a guy who did this, he use to prance around in long coat tails and show off an ancient eyeglass that didn't magnify during conversations.
Pretentious creep use to go to pervy parties for the fat wallets of high society, he used to wear long haired wigs and tights there.
hallamstudents
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi everyone,

I mean if it makes you feel confident then go for it. Yes it will probably catch people's attention but it isn't always a bad thing! I think it could be a look.

Lucy
Benj0
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Depends what course you're on and what uni you're going to.

Honestly, if you make it your thing, people will just come to accept that that's how you dress.
They'll see you and think "oh, it's Anon with their tophat again" and that'll be that.
Dressing for yourself rather than to please other people is what makes you interesting.

If it makes you happy, go for it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (38)
10%
I used to but I don't now (12)
3.16%
No, but I want to start (137)
36.05%
No, I am unable to (86)
22.63%
No, I chose not to (107)
28.16%