How to become fluent in another language at uni? Watch

Iasonas
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I'd did French at A level and got an A in it. I have an unconditional offer to study the Geography International Programme at UCL, where I can do a year abroad in France, but French does not form part of the modules. How can I prepare myself for the year abroad and possibly have this included in my degree transcript? I feel it would be a waste to just stop learning it, so how can I go about this? Thank you!
hello_shawn
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
your language learning is not, and never will be, confined to the educational level. Employers post-uni are always going to be more interested in your conversational fluency in other languages, so the more you go to France, Belgium or any other Francophone country and put the language to good use, the better your chances of advancing in that year abroad. As for the year(s) you'll be in uni, there are certain to be international students from said Francophone countries doing your course, or sharing your flat, speaking their language to them will do you no harm...
Iasonas
Rep:
?
(Original post by hello_shawn)
your language learning is not, and never will be, confined to the educational level. Employers post-uni are always going to be more interested in your conversational fluency in other languages, so the more you go to France, Belgium or any other Francophone country and put the language to good use, the better your chances of advancing in that year abroad. As for the year(s) you'll be in uni, there are certain to be international students from said Francophone countries doing your course, or sharing your flat, speaking their language to them will do you no harm...
Well I'd like to get to a good level of fluency, as I am actually looking to relocate to France as most of my family now live there and so I was hoping this may be possible within my degree by taking an outside module. I know UCL also do evening language classes, so I will maybe look into that too.
TommyDH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Iasonas)
So I'd did French at A level and got an A in it. I have an unconditional offer to study the Geography International Programme at UCL, where I can do a year abroad in France, but French does not form part of the modules. How can I prepare myself for the year abroad and possibly have this included in my degree transcript? I feel it would be a waste to just stop learning it, so how can I go about this? Thank you!
Can you not start a french club or a french speaking society? At the very least you can put it on your CV, and find new friends to just sit around and talk in French to for the fluency.
Tootles
Badges: 20
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Iasonas)
The best way to do it would be to go to university in France.
LeapingLucy
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Most universities offer language classes that don’t form part of your degree.

UCL does ones in the evening - if you’d rather do one during the day then check out the LSE language courses, which any University of London student can sign up to (LSE is just a 20 minute walk from UCL).
Iasonas
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tootles)
The best way to do it would be to go to university in France.
I am, for a year, but I’d obviously like some preparation as the lectures will be in french
Iasonas
Rep:
?
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
Most universities offer language classes that don’t form part of your degree.

UCL does ones in the evening - if you’d rather do one during the day then check out the LSE language courses, which any University of London student can sign up to (LSE is just a 20 minute walk from UCL).
Thanks for your reply, yes I was thinking of lse haha. I’m currently waiting on their decision as I’ve applied for the geography BA, and the flexibility they offer with languages is really appealing, since I think for some courses they will modify your degree to ‘geography with German’ if you take a certain amount of credits in it
Iasonas
Rep:
?
(Original post by TommyDH)
Can you not start a french club or a french speaking society? At the very least you can put it on your CV, and find new friends to just sit around and talk in French to for the fluency.
I was looking for something more formal tbh, that would be included in my degree transcript. I just feel it would be a useful skill to have
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (47)
9.13%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.72%
No, but I want to start (185)
35.92%
No, I am unable to (119)
23.11%
No, I chose not to (150)
29.13%