Pokemon Red & Blue 20th Anniversary- Nostalgia thread and challenges

Watch
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago

2019 marks the 20th anniversary of the release of Pokemon Red and Blue in Europe (the Japanese actually got it almost three years but we'll ignore that), the massively influential first games in what would eventually become the most successful video game franchise of all time. It also marks the 15th anniversary of their remakes, pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen, so double celebration.

To commemorate the release of the games that absorbed more of my childhood than pretty much anything else, I figured I would start a thread for people to reminisce, have a go at revisiting them or even give them a try for the first time if you weren't around when they first released. If you want to get in on the fun, the three best ways to play the original pokemon games are;

*Nintendo eShop: If you own a Nintendo 2DS or 3DS, you can download the Virtual console versions of the original pokemon games through the online store for less than a tenner each. These versions of the games are identical to the originals, except for the addition of online battle and tradings and the ability to transfer pokemon to the most recent generation of 3DS games.
*Original Gameboy carts: Despite being two decades old, the original Pokemon games were so popular that it's no trouble at all finding original copies on eBay or from retro game stores, and the same goes for the GameBoy consoles you can play them on (you can play them on any version of GameBoy branded console except the Gameboy Micro). Popular high street store CEX has all three colours available to purchase online for under £20 each, and the same goes for GameBoy Advance consoles, meaning you can pick up a genuine piece of your childhood for less than the price of a new PS4 game in 2018.
*Emulators: If you don't own a 3DS and don't fancy spending actual cash on a game that's potentially older than you are, there's the option of GameBoy emulators for running the games on your PC or Android device (I've lost track on whether or not they exist for iPhone anymore, I'm sure you can can find out by googling it). I'm not going to link to where you can find the game files as that's against site rules, but they're easy enough to find. My emulator of choice for Android is JohnGBC, it's in the Play Store and there's a free version if you don't mind ads or a paid version with extra features like controlling game speed.

Get Playing!

If you do want to play along with me (which you hopefully will so that this thread doesn't just become an echo chamber of my game updates), then awesome and I'll keep a running record of anyone who wants to play with their time/teams belore. Of course the simplest and most nostalgic method of playing is to simply play the game however you like at your own pace, but for any veterans to the series looking to make this 90s kids game a little more difficult, I'll be doing two popular "alternate" playstyles that people play to make the experience more challenging; speedrun, and Nuzlocke.

Speedrun is as simple as it sounds, with the aim of the game being to blitz through the game from Pallet Town to Pokemon League Champion as quickly as possible. Your recorded time in the computer after beating your rival at the Elite 4 is the finish line, and the current world record is 1 hour and 43 minutes! This is a crazy difficult thing to do that needs a huge amount of luck and memorisation, but for anyone who knows the game like the back of their hand it's fun to challenge yourself to see how quickly you can make your way through it. I'll be doing this in a couple of weeks when I've got a 12 hour plane flight to keep myself occupied.

Before that, however, I'll be doing a run with what's come to be known as the Nuzlocke Challenge. Nuzlocke is essentially Pokemon on hard mode, with a set of restrictions you impose on yourself to make the game a lot more difficult to complete with a proper "game over" scenario. Nuzlocke at its base has two rules:
*You can only capture the first catchable pokemon you encounter in any route, cave, ocean or city. Any other pokemon you encounter must be KO'd or run from. After that first encounter you cannot catch any other pokemon in that area for the rest of the game, whether you caught it or not.
*Any Pokemon that faints is deemed dead and cannot be used again, you must release it at your next visit to the PC. If all of the pokemon in your party faint and you lose a battle, it's game over and you have to start again.

There are also optional rules that aren't mandatory but add to the hardcore nature of the run that I personally use:
*No healing items can be used at any point, whether that's HP, PP or status healing. Poision is pure dread in this scenario.
*No duplicate pokemon on your team, if you catch a Pidgey then you cannot use another one unless that first one dies. If your first encounter in an area is a pokemon you already have then tough luck, no new pokemon for you in this area. This is Nuzlocke.
*No legendary birds. They're all caught at high levels, and Articuno and Zapdos both make a good chunk of the late game battles a lot easier.
*All pokemon must be given nicknames. Getting attached to them makes it suck all the more when they die.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Classic Run Players

Speedrun Players

Nuzlock Challenge Players
Gofre ImageImageImage
Last edited by Gofre; 1 year ago
Gofre
Rep:
?
Started my Nuzlocke run on red yesterday, nothing too difficult. Got lucky with a Nidoran M catch early, did a bit of grinding to bring Benjen the Bulbasaur (I'm going for Game of Thrones names this time) up to 13 for Vine Whip and cleared the first gym at the 30 minute mark. Now to focus on Nidoran ready to evolve twice in Mt Moon to carry the bulk of the game!

Day 1
Badges: 1
Dex: 3
Casualties: 0
Time: 0:36

Image Benjen Lvl 15, Vine Whip/Tackle/Growl/Leech Seed
Image Ned lvl 4, Tackle/Leer
Image Reek lvl 5, Tackle/Tail Whip
Zerforax
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Great game. Interesting that Pokemon Let's Go on the Nintendo Switch is basically another remake but new people are still enjoying it.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Day 2 down, badge 2 down. Nidoran is now a big scary Nidoking ready to do the legwork for most of the run, while I also picked up a Magikarp because I discovered that a guy sells you one just before Mt Moon, something I've never found before despite playing this game dozens of times over the last 20 years! Reek the Rattata is casualty number one, living up to his intended purpose as death fodder when Ned took a rogue quit and I needed a safe switch-in for Benjen. I also cleared Nugget Bridge and Bill, so next stop is the S.S Anne.

Day 1
Badges: 2
Dex: 7
Casualties: 1
Time: 1:29

Image Benjen Lvl 20, Vine Whip/Tackle/Growl/Leech Seed
Image Ned lvl 20, Horn Attack/Leer/Tackle/Poison Sting
Image Margaery lvl 10, Splash

Casualties:

(Original post by Zerforax)
Great game. Interesting that Pokemon Let's Go on the Nintendo Switch is basically another remake but new people are still enjoying it.
Yeah it's interesting to see that even after two decades of innovation in the gaming industry, the remarkably simple formula of a humble GameBoy game can still capture the attention of millions of people. It's a testament to how much they got right all those years ago!
Last edited by Gofre; 1 year ago
nyxnko_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Might join along on Thursday with my handy emulator for a classic run :yes:
I haven't played the originals so would definitely love to try them out :thumbsup:
Guru Jason
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I got all the games up to USUM and the 3ds ports. Don't get to play much these days. Used to mod for the poketuber Pimpnite but i just don't have time anymore. May dig it out for a nuzlocke speedrun.
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm tempted to give the speedrun a go, though my time is already thinly stretched between playing MTG Arena and Wizardry 8. :sadnod:

I'll see if I can find my old Blue cartridge anywhere, as if I do give it a go then the original hardware would always be my first choice. :coma:
Gofre
Rep:
?
(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
I'm tempted to give the speedrun a go, though my time is already thinly stretched
That's the great thing about a speedrun, you try and use as little time as possible :ahee:
Puddles the Monkey
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
God I'm old
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Gofre)
That's the great thing about a speedrun, you try and use as little time as possible :ahee:
Yep, definitely the format of choice if I do get around to it. :p:
Guru Jason
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I love some of the nuzlocke comics. The original Nuzlocke comics is great and I would also recommend Perry's nuzlocke and Freddy nuzlocke comics. Both easily found via a Google search.
Gofre
Rep:
?
I forgot to make a save state to update my nuzlocke process on here after Gym 3, so here's a double update after gym 4!

No real trouble yet, I used the S.S Anne battles and the trainers in Gym 3 to grind up Magikarp until it evolved into Gyarados, making that part 2 of my planned trio to sweep the rest of the game with. Surge predictably put up zero challenge to Nidoking without his electric moves, so after that I went hunting for a couple of extra pokes to bring my Pokedex up to 10 to collect Flash. With a Pidgey and Spearow in the bag (I'd actually forgotten about grabbing a flier up until this point, so it was lucky I hadn't burned these routes yet) it was a quick stop outside Dark Cave to nab a Voltorb (I'm pretty sure I can still do this cave blind but Voltorb was thankfully the first encounter so that just makes things easier) and then a solid five minutes got lost to a swarm of zubats more relentless than I've come across in a long time. But it was out the other side with no casualties and straight onto Celadon. A brief visit to the Game Corner to pick up Abra (sorry Eevee, I can't take you now), and I have all the pieces for my final trio- Nidoking, Gyarados and Kadabra. Grinding through the gym trainers to evolve Abra into a self-sufficient Kadabra and then a few Ice Beams from Gyarados cleared Erica with only a slight scare from a rogue crit by Victribell's Rzaor Leaf.

Four badges down in under 4 hours of play, this is shaping up to be a decent Nuzlocke run so far. Now to waste a load of time beating Team Rocket and liberating the Pokemon graveyard, then onto Koga!

Day 3
Badges: 4
Dex: 13
Time: 3:37

Image Aemon lvl 18, Confusion / Teleport
Image Margaery lvl 28, Bubblebeam / Body Slam / Thunderbolt / Ice Beam
Image Ned lvl 28, Thrash / Horn Attack / Dig / Poison Sting
Image Benjen lvl 22, Mega Drain / Cut / Poison Powder / Leech Seed
Image Pod lvl 13, Gust / Sand Attack / Quick Attack
Image Varys lvl 14, Tackle / Screech / Flash

Reserves:

Casualties:
Guru Jason
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Gofre)
I forgot to make a save state to update my nuzlocke process on here after Gym 3, so here's a double update after gym 4!

No real trouble yet, I used the S.S Anne battles and the trainers in Gym 3 to grind up Magikarp until it evolved into Gyarados, making that part 2 of my planned trio to sweep the rest of the game with. Surge predictably put up zero challenge to Nidoking without his electric moves, so after that I went hunting for a couple of extra pokes to bring my Pokedex up to 10 to collect Flash. With a Pidgey and Spearow in the bag (I'd actually forgotten about grabbing a flier up until this point, so it was lucky I hadn't burned these routes yet) it was a quick stop outside Dark Cave to nab a Voltorb (I'm pretty sure I can still do this cave blind but Voltorb was thankfully the first encounter so that just makes things easier) and then a solid five minutes got lost to a swarm of zubats more relentless than I've come across in a long time. But it was out the other side with no casualties and straight onto Celadon. A brief visit to the Game Corner to pick up Abra (sorry Eevee, I can't take you now), and I have all the pieces for my final trio- Nidoking, Gyarados and Kadabra. Grinding through the gym trainers to evolve Abra into a self-sufficient Kadabra and then a few Ice Beams from Gyarados cleared Erica with only a slight scare from a rogue crit by Victribell's Rzaor Leaf.

Four badges down in under 4 hours of play, this is shaping up to be a decent Nuzlocke run so far. Now to waste a load of time beating Team Rocket and liberating the Pokemon graveyard, then onto Koga!

Day 3
Badges: 4
Dex: 13
Time: 3:37

Image Aemon lvl 18, Confusion / Teleport
Image Margaery lvl 28, Bubblebeam / Body Slam / Thunderbolt / Ice Beam
Image Ned lvl 28, Thrash / Horn Attack / Dig / Poison Sting
Image Benjen lvl 22, Mega Drain / Cut / Poison Powder / Leech Seed
Image Pod lvl 13, Gust / Sand Attack / Quick Attack
Image Varys lvl 14, Tackle / Screech / Flash

Reserves:

Casualties:
It honestly a shame about the gen 1 attack split otherwise gyarados would walk it. Also ice beam on gyarados over nido?
Gofre
Rep:
?
(Original post by Guru Jason)
It honestly a shame about the gen 1 attack split otherwise gyarados would walk it. Also ice beam on gyarados over nido?
I've carried Nuzlockes solely on Gyara before thanks to the base 100 Special stat, but I'm going for a pair of mixed attackers after losing him to a rogue crit last time I did a Nuzlocke and having no fallback, with Kadabra there to spam Psychic at everybody and teleport if I get hit with poison at a bad time. Nido will be getting Thunder and Blizzard when I reach those TMs, to compensate for the lower Special stat.
Guru Jason
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Gofre)
I've carried Nuzlockes solely on Gyara before thanks to the base 100 Special stat, but I'm going for a pair of mixed attackers after losing him to a rogue crit last time I did a Nuzlocke and having no fallback, with Kadabra there to spam Psychic at everybody and teleport if I get hit with poison at a bad time. Nido will be getting Thunder and Blizzard when I reach those TMs, to compensate for the lower Special stat.
Not a bad shout. I did a nuzlocke and ended up with the lapras from silph co running the bolt beam option with psychic and surf.

Fun fact gen 1 lapras gets solarbeam. I transferred a modest lapras over to gen 7 and z moved it. Bloom doom lapras is new meta.
Gofre
Rep:
?
(Original post by Guru Jason)
Not a bad shout. I did a nuzlocke and ended up with the lapras from silph co running the bolt beam option with psychic and surf.

Fun fact gen 1 lapras gets solarbeam. I transferred a modest lapras over to gen 7 and z moved it. Bloom doom lapras is new meta.
Yeah I've used Lapras over Gyara before, but I missed having the extra speed against Lance and a couple of other E4 members.

I've not actually played Gen 7 since the very early days, I was big into the competitive side of things in Gens 4 & 5 but then Hearthstone rolled in and took over my casual online playtime. I'll have to revisit it some time.
DanF_2000
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Never done a nuzlocke before but been playing Pokemon since I was 6! (19 now) Started with Emerald and have played these: Crystal, Ruby, Emerald, Fire Red, Pearl, Platinum, Heart Gold, White, White 2, Y, Omega Ruby, Sun, Ultra Sun, Ultra Moon and Let's GO Eevee. Planning on replaying HG, White, White 2, Y and Omega Ruby this year!
15heseltinea
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My teacher at school yesterday period 3 and 4 she checked the weather forecast and she said it wasn't going to snow here but then she jinstit and know look what has happened @littleswany and @Kyx.
15heseltinea
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not bad shout out that I have captured 10,000 Pokemon and still upgraded my teem and i am unstoppable because I have a teem of 3 Pokemon at level 100 and my 3 reserved Pokemon are level 50 and i have no casualties at all, so beat that.

:danceboy::danceboy::f1::f1::hide::hide::kungfu::kungfu::lockstock::lockstock::lockstock::medieval::medieval::medieval::run::run::run::lfc::lfc::lfc::lfc::lfc2::lfc2::lfc2::lfc2::kungfu::kungfu::kungfu::kungfu::kungfu::kungfu::kungfu::kungfu::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse: and i haven't done a nuzlocke before still playing Pokemon since 5! @littleswany and @Kyx.
Last edited by 15heseltinea; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (87)
13.92%
I'm not sure (30)
4.8%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (198)
31.68%
I have already dropped out (13)
2.08%
I'm not a current university student (297)
47.52%

Watched Threads