Do not go on the John Locke Institute summer school

Watch
JonTargaryen123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi everyone! I attended the John Locke institute summer programme last year and I think the negative comments here are really unfair. The problem is when people think that just by attending these courses they will get into Oxford- that is not the case. The programme is what you make of it and honestly with the great academic resources provided if you work hard, it really helps in preparation for the admissions test and the interview. The tutors were from Oxbridge and they were honestly incredible. As far as the accommodation goes, it's summer school, not a luxury vacation at a resort. Its better than most other summer schools in that you at least have en-suite rooms, where the rooms and toilets are really clean. The chateau is really beautiful with incredible gardens, there's a football pitch,a ping pong table, and also a swimming pool. Food is not high-tea at the Ritz but its actually quite decent. The main reason I loved the programme were the people, I actually made some really good friends there and sharing rooms wasn't a problem because one of my roommates actually has now become a really good friend. I am still in touch with most of the friends I made there and have met with them multiple times. They take you on trips to the town nearby, the beach and kayaking, so its all good fun. Martin who runs the course in very helpful for oxbridge admissions and Marie is one of the most supporting people you'll ever meet. Honestly, although the cost is a bit high, it really is worth it and to answer some of the people who are wondering whether they should go or not- really do go, you'll have an incredible time!
sherlanddris
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I don't understand your comment. Does it cost £120 to enter the competition? I was going to enter but wouldn't be able to if that was the cost
TheManTheMyth
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No, entering the competition is free. If you are shortlisted however, the dinner costs £120 to attend at Oxford. But you don't need to go to the dinner if you don't want to.
(Original post by sherlanddris)
Hi, I don't understand your comment. Does it cost £120 to enter the competition? I was going to enter but wouldn't be able to if that was the cost
scclxo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hello, I came across the John Locke Institute summer school when I was browsing essay competitions, and on the website, it seems very helpful for Oxbridge applications, but there is a lack of concrete information for the 2020 summer school. I hope someone on this thread (if you're still active) can provide a general overview of what the summer school is like, and whether the 3k price is worth it. It seems that people think the History part of the course is rather lacking, but I am planning on studying Philosophy at university (maybe in a joint/combined degree with Politics or in Liberal Arts), and looking at the faculty at JLI, it appears that the professors would be quite adept at the subjects I'm interested in. I'm very much interested in Philosophy and Politics and things like moral and political philosophy and ethics; I currently do RS and Politics at A Levels so I have a general idea of what these subjects are like - would the course still be helpful, or would it only provide an introduction into the subjects mentioned?
Currently I'm in Year 12 and I'm planning on applying to Cambridge (for their Philosophy degree), and I was wondering if the intensive Oxbridge sessions were truly helpful, because they seem that way. I haven't submitted an application yet as I need to ask for an academic reference at school, so I would be grateful if anyone still on here could provide some insight into the application process and the quality of the summer school in general. Thank you! xx
Last edited by scclxo; 5 months ago
Poldork
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by scclxo)
Hello, I came across the John Locke Institute summer school when I was browsing essay competitions, and on the website, it seems very helpful for Oxbridge applications, but there is a lack of concrete information for the 2020 summer school. I hope someone on this thread (if you're still active) can provide a general overview of what the summer school is like, and whether the 3k price is worth it. It seems that people think the History part of the course is rather lacking, but I am planning on studying Philosophy at university (maybe in a joint/combined degree with Politics or in Liberal Arts), and looking at the faculty at JLI, it appears that the professors would be quite adept at the subjects I'm interested in. I'm very much interested in Philosophy and Politics and things like moral and political philosophy and ethics; I currently do RS and Politics at A Levels so I have a general idea of what these subjects are like - would the course still be helpful, or would it only provide an introduction into the subjects mentioned?
Currently I'm in Year 12 and I'm planning on applying to Cambridge (for their Philosophy degree), and I was wondering if the intensive Oxbridge sessions were truly helpful, because they seem that way. I haven't submitted an application yet as I need to ask for an academic reference at school, so I would be grateful if anyone still on here could provide some insight into the application process and the quality of the summer school in general. Thank you! xx
It's probably changed a bit since my time, but I think JonTargaryen123 above gives a good summary. It was certainly enjoyable from what I remember of it, and I've made some good friends from it. As to whether its worth the money, it sort of depends on what you want to get out of it - but let them know if you can't afford it as I've known them to do bursaries before. It should be quite good for philosophy - admitadly that's never been my strong point but I remember various discussion about ethics. The course is mainly aimed at those thinking of applying for PPE at Oxford, but you get lots of people with similar interests applying. If I were you I'd ring them up and have a chat. The application from what i can remember was pretty straight forward, consisting of a skype interview. Hope this helps
4mmjenkins
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I emailed John Locke Institute to casually enquire about their gap year programme in the states, and then exchanged a few emails re: my A levels etc with Martin Cox. Pretty soon he started really pressuring me to sign up for the summer school, which I’m obviously hesitant about doing at the moment. Has this happened to anyone else?
lolidkwhat
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
yep, I enquired about the essay competition and he told me to sign up...I might as well apply as I can reject/defer an offer if I want...but its worth a shot I guess?
sydxwood
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by 4mmjenkins)
I emailed John Locke Institute to casually enquire about their gap year programme in the states, and then exchanged a few emails re: my A levels etc with Martin Cox. Pretty soon he started really pressuring me to sign up for the summer school, which I’m obviously hesitant about doing at the moment. Has this happened to anyone else?
Hey - I enquired about the Gap Year in the US as well a couple of months ago and have a few phone interviews and emails with Martin, but he hasn't said anything to me about the summer one. I doubt the summer school is even going ahead at this point
PrinterRon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I also applied for the JLI summer school this year, to which it is still happening but instead of in Normandy it’s in Oxford and the second week is virtual. It sounds like it’s a mixed bag of experiences? I have applied for financial aid, but am not sure if I will be able to afford it even after 40%: as has been previously mentioned, it’s quite a lot of money, and whilst worth it for those interested in PPE and history, I am thinking of applying to English or French. As I will really have to find the links, I’m not sure if I should go? Is anyone else going this year? And anyone who has been previously, is it applicable for subjects outside the PPE/ history realm (since I am thinking of applying for English and French, which isn’t exactly super similar)?
meghal03
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey I’ve applied (pretty last minute) to go this year too!! I was also having the same worries about whether it was actually worth it when I’m still not 100% on what I want to study at university. My a-levels are all over the place so i’m currently deciding between taking the academic route with my maths and politics a-levels to do political economics or switching it up and studying fashion design lol. Joking aside though even if you don’t go down the history/PPE road, it’s a good thing to have on a university application or a CV. I know two people who attended the JLI summer school: one went on to study history at Oxford and now works as nurse, another did it and then went to University College London to study art. Basically what i’m saying is this isn’t the defining factor of what you’re going to do in the future, it’s just a good experience that seems to be worth it even if you don’t go on to do history or philosophy. I hope this helped a little bit ahah
JoshKS117
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey! I’ve applied this year too. Probably a bit late for this thread but it’s taking place now at the Royal Agricultural University and the home of the late Conservative philosopher Sir Roger Scruton. In my interview the Dean was lovely and Marie and Martin seem wonderful too. They must have worked so hard to make this year work and not just coo out and put it online which I really respect. Still shocked it’s actually happening this year.
Daniellegray2002
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi, I've also applied this year and I had my interview yesterday. Where did you find out about applying for financial aid?, because I couldn't see anything on the application form and I've emailed one the staff members about it but haven't received a reply. I'm thinking of applying for Journalism but hoping for a career in human rights so I don't think you have to want to study PPE in order to go just have an interest etc...
Daniellegray2002
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by JoshKS117)
Hey! I’ve applied this year too. Probably a bit late for this thread but it’s taking place now at the Royal Agricultural University and the home of the late Conservative philosopher Sir Roger Scruton. In my interview the Dean was lovely and Marie and Martin seem wonderful too. They must have worked so hard to make this year work and not just coo out and put it online which I really respect. Still shocked it’s actually happening this year.
Hi I was told it was taking place in Oxford this year??
JoshKS117
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Daniellegray2002)
Hi I was told it was taking place in Oxford this year??
It was, but they cancelled
Daniellegray2002
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by JoshKS117)
It was, but they cancelled
That's odd I had my interview yesterday morning and we were talking about Oxford as a venue for the Summer school in August
yesterday161
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
yeah - pretty sure there are 3 courses this year, 1 in oxford, 1 online and another 1 in oxford? could be wrong - reading stuff about it being somewhere agricultural or something - can’t find anything about this on the website
Last edited by yesterday161; 2 weeks ago
Daniellegray2002
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by yesterday161)
yeah - pretty sure there are 3 courses this year, 1 in oxford, 1 online and another 1 in oxford? could be wrong - reading stuff about it being somewhere agricultural or something - can’t find anything about this on the website
That's what I thought, I'm glad to see someone else has read the same stuff I have, I was beginning to get a bit worried 😂
yesterday161
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
does the institute tell you if your application’s been unsuccessful, or do they just leave you hanging? because i kind of feel i should have heard something by now - just gonna assume i’ve not been accepted. anyone from the last round of applications heard anything?
Daniellegray2002
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I've not heard anything either, I'm beginning to think that I just haven't been successful but it would be nice to be told that rather than just assume
roserose36
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
have you guys heard something now? i’ve heard nothing so i’m confused
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (119)
25.32%
Better than expected (97)
20.64%
Worse than expected (254)
54.04%

Watched Threads