The Student Room Group

Is 5 A-Levels too much?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by craftywizardboy
Don't do 5 A levels. You will dilute your learning and you will seriously regret it. Universities only require 3. Doing 4 will make you stand out already. My advice is to do Maths, Chemistry, Biology, and Physics as this will keep your options open. Unless you absolutely love maths do further maths instead of Physics or Biology. However, this entirely depends on what you want to do in the future.

Thanks for your comment! The thing is, isn’t FM the same level as maths, just more maths? So, in essence I’d be doing biology, chemistry and physics with a maths A-Level which has extra maths?
Reply 61
Original post by MoUddin
Isn’t biology seen as a subject you need to do medicine? It may not say it in the entry requirements, but aren’t students with a biology A-Level set?

No, and see my important edit above :smile:

Universities don't have hidden requirements. If a particular university doesn't require a subject then that's what they mean.

Current Medicine requirements are here:
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf
Reply 62
Original post by Doonesbury
No, and see my important edit above :smile:

Universities don't have hidden requirements. If a particular university doesn't require a subject then that's what they mean.

Current Medicine requirements are here:
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf

Okay, thanks for that!
Hmmmm idk if this idea will work but hear me out
So some schools will let you do the full maths A level in year 1 of sixth form and further maths in year 2.
If you did this you could still do 5 A-Levels, but only need to do 4 each year. It would really help your workload! Plus it would mean that you are applying to uni with a grade already.
Best of luck! <3
Reply 64
Original post by barror1
So some schools will let you do the full maths A level in year 1 of sixth form and further maths in year 2.
If you did this you could still do 5 A-Levels, but only need to do 4 each year. It would really help your workload! Plus it would mean that you are applying to uni with a grade already.
Best of luck! <3

It doesn't help the workload - you are still doing 5 A-levels worth of work across the 2 years.
Original post by Doonesbury
It doesn't help the workload - you are still doing 5 A-levels worth of work across the 2 years.

Yeah I was just thinking about breaking up the workload to make it a little more bearable, even if it is the same amount over the 5 years. Guess we'll just see what OP thinks!
Reply 66
Original post by barror1
Best of luck! <3

Hey barror1,
But aren’t A-Levels linear now? So I won’t be able to do an A-Level in one year?
Reply 67
Original post by MoUddin
Hi there,
I’m currently in Year 11, and will be doing my GCSEs in a few months. Just like many others, I don’t know what to become when I’m older, and therefore want to keep my options as open as possible - hence the ‘5 A-Level’ on the title. The 5 A-Levels I have chose are:
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Now, I know many people say it’s ‘too hard’ or ‘not worth it’ but I honestly think I can do it. I am already achieving grade 9s in these subjects (from year 10). I will also be doing a Further Mathematics GCSE, in which I’m predicted an A^. The only thing that’s concerning me is time. I know that this may be an issue but can someone give me an idea of how long it would take to do 1 A-level topic revision (I know it’ll vary but a rough answer will be appreciated)?
Are there any tips you can give on doing 5 A-Levels?
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

I started off doing exactly the same thing at the start of Year 12, and then I ended up dropping F. Maths after a few weeks. The workload is too much and it really does not give you any advantage for anything. Just do 4 and either drop Biology or F. Maths. Drop Bio if you want to do engineering. Drop F. Maths if you want to more variety of choices in a years time when you apply to uni...
Reply 68
Original post by MoUddin
Thanks for your comment! The thing is, isn’t FM the same level as maths, just more maths? So, in essence I’d be doing biology, chemistry and physics with a maths A-Level which has extra maths?

This is a common misconception. Further Maths is quite hard, it isn't just a bit more maths. It is a lot.

You'll essentially finish all of a-level maths in year 12 and then proceed to further maths in year 13. (People who do just Maths have 2 years to do all of the content of normal maths). The content for Normal maths isn't easy, some of the topics will take time to settle into your mind(e.g statistics topics), let alone f. maths in which the content is even harder. I also do biology, chemistry and physics in which there is a lot of content to learn, especially Biology.
Take my advice: I was also a high achieving student at GCSE I got A*'s in all the subjects I'm currently doing and right now I just finished yr 13 mocks with 2 a*'s and 2 a's. I have an offer from Imperial College to study engineering and I'm not doing 5 alevels. even with 4-5 hours a day (which is what i do) it will be difficult to keep up with the workload and keep your teachers happy, have a social life and do hobbies. SO don't unnecessarily do an extra subject which will take up your time and give you no advantage whatsoever.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 69
Another current year 13 here, I'm going to be honest. Don't do five. You can get a good spread of A levels without taking five and taking two sciences and maybe one math subject could ever work better in your favour of you want to go down that route. Maths/Science subjects are very closed ended anyway, as you'll always end up doing something related to them. You don't need to decide what exactly you want to do, it'll probably change a couple times in your first year, but if you can close in to your area of subject ( For example I know I wanted to study something that incorporates English Literature ) then that's better than nothing.

You need to remember that Sixth Form has longer lessons, more contact hours and that unis aren't just looking at your grades anymore. They're looking at your extra curricular activity, how you work in practical situations etc etc. If you take five you're sacrificing extra curricular stuff, I only do three A levels but Revision and homework combined for one subject takes about 3-4 hours, there's just not enough time in the day. Even though you may not see the jump yet it really lands when you get into school, everything is very intense and realistically speaking most sixth forms won't let their students choose more than 4 A levels.
Which exam boards will you be doing ?
Original post by MoUddin
Hey barror1,
But aren’t A-Levels linear now? So I won’t be able to do an A-Level in one year?

No you can complete it all in 1 year. Linear means there isn't modular assessments you study and sit one final exam to determine your grade. When you sit that exam is up to you, a lot of smart people can essentially finish the whole course in year 1 of sixth form and do the exam.
Reply 72
Original post by Mr.noname
Which exam boards will you be doing ?

AQA for all of them
Reply 73
Original post by tdag
This is a common misconception. Further Maths is quite hard, it isn't just a bit more maths. It is a lot.

You'll essentially finish all of a-level maths in year 12 and then proceed to further maths in year 13. (People who do just Maths have 2 years to do all of the content of normal maths). The content for Normal maths isn't easy, some of the topics will take time to settle into your mind(e.g statistics topics), let alone f. maths in which the content is even harder. I also do biology, chemistry and physics in which there is a lot of content to learn, especially Biology.
Take my advice: I was also a high achieving student at GCSE I got A*'s in all the subjects I'm currently doing and right now I just finished yr 13 mocks with 2 a*'s and 2 a's. I have an offer from Imperial College to study engineering and I'm not doing 5 alevels. even with 4-5 hours a day (which is what i do) it will be difficult to keep up with the workload and keep your teachers happy, have a social life and do hobbies. SO don't unnecessarily do an extra subject which will take up your time and give you no advantage whatsoever.

Hey,
Say I finish A-Level maths before I start sixth form (or very close to finishing it), wouldn’t that give me an upper hand? I’ll be taking Further Maths GCSE, and this is beneficial for A-Level Maths, and I have also done Level 3 Algebra, and this covers A-Level content too.
Reply 74
Original post by MoUddin
Hey,
Say I finish A-Level maths before I start sixth form (or very close to finishing it), wouldn’t that give me an upper hand? I’ll be taking Further Maths GCSE, and this is beneficial for A-Level Maths, and I have also done Level 3 Algebra, and this covers A-Level content too.

can you give me examples of the topics you have covered? or the specification?
Reply 75
Original post by MoUddin
AQA for all of them

Oh dear, luckily I only do aqa for physics and biology. AQA ask really hard application questions at A-Level for physics and biology. A lot of the students struggle at this in physics in my school. A-Level is a lot more of understanding and application. Not just definitions and simple calculations..
Reply 76
Original post by tdag
can you give me examples of the topics you have covered? or the specification?

From the top of my head, I have done:
Quadratic formula (GCSE and L3A content)
Simultaneous Equations
Inequalities
Geometry of lines and circles
Trig functions and graphs
We have touched on exponentials and logs
Vectors (we touched on that too, since it’s GCSE)
Newton’s Laws
Sequences
Arithmetic series (finding nth term and sum of sequences)
We have touched on moments
Matrices (FM GCSE)
Algebraic Proof
Differentiation (FM GCSE)
Sine and Cosine Rules
3D Pythagoras
Fractions, Decimals and Percentages (I think that’s GCSE, but it’s in L3A and FM GCSE)
Thanks
Reply 77
Original post by MoUddin
Hey barror1,

It's up to your school, but yes you can.

However it doesn't change the workload at all.
Personally I would say just go for it if you think you can manage it, but it's definitely advisable to drop at least 1 in year 13. I'm doing CIE and currently preparing for A2, I study almost 5 hours per day during weekdays and up till 15 hours per day during weekends. I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Economics. Trust me, Further Maths itself will already take up most of your time, not to mention you are going for Biology and Chemistry, both science subjects requires plenty of memorising. Physics will definitely help out a fair bit for F.Maths. That being said, Physics actually goes pretty well with F.Maths.
Reply 79
Original post by MoUddin
Hmm, that’s the first time I’ve heard that! Thanks for your comment. What is an EPQ? I know it’s an Extended Project Qualification but what do you do? Thanks

For an EPQ you do a 5000-ish word research essay on a topic you choose and you usually do it in your free time. Many people use it on their UCAS to show strong subject interest. Its not as easy as it sounds- the paperwork and all the logs are a big pain. Other than that its fun.

Another thing is that you won't really get a feel for the subjects until you've been doing them for a long time. I didn't appreciate how much effort A-level chem required until we got to the organic side of it etc. You have the entire summer to decide- look at uni websites, requirements for the courses you want to or just do some work experience to get a better idea. Thats what I did when I couldn't decide between medicine/eco/ engineering.

Quick Reply

Latest