The Student Room Group

Is it possible to self-study A-levels, and where do I start?

I'm currently working 20hrs a week and earning about £500 a month. I went to sixth form, but got kicked out due to mental health, and then went to college but suffered a grievance and ended up dropping out in the second year.
Now I'm at work, and I kind of need the money to get by so I don't want to quit... but I want an education, and I want to finish my A-Levels. It keeps me up thinking about it. I'm now 19 and if I were to start at Sixth Form again, I'd be 20 when the year starts, which probably means I have to pay (which I can't, really). But I don't really want to be in retail for the rest of my life and actually have a passion in the subjects I want to take.
Is it possible to self-study these subjects, and doing it mostly online? Or am I in over my head a bit here?
Original post by astaphaios
I'm currently working 20hrs a week and earning about £500 a month. I went to sixth form, but got kicked out due to mental health, and then went to college but suffered a grievance and ended up dropping out in the second year.
Now I'm at work, and I kind of need the money to get by so I don't want to quit... but I want an education, and I want to finish my A-Levels. It keeps me up thinking about it. I'm now 19 and if I were to start at Sixth Form again, I'd be 20 when the year starts, which probably means I have to pay (which I can't, really). But I don't really want to be in retail for the rest of my life and actually have a passion in the subjects I want to take.
Is it possible to self-study these subjects, and doing it mostly online? Or am I in over my head a bit here?

It isn’t easy but you could certainly give it a go with one subject and see how you get on.
What subjects do you hope to take?
The two main ways to independently study are buying a programme from a distance/online learning provider like NEC or working your way through examiner approved text books and accessing free internet resources. Either way to then have to find and pay an exam centre to take the exams.
Reply 2
I originally took Law, Sociology, English Lit, and Film Studies. I'd like to pick one of those back up again... How expensive do you reckon distance learning would get? And thanks for the response :smile:
Original post by astaphaios
I originally took Law, Sociology, English Lit, and Film Studies. I'd like to pick one of those back up again... How expensive do you reckon distance learning would get? And thanks for the response :smile:

You should do some research and try to get user feedback on course quality.
As an example Sociology with NEC is currently £552.50
https://www.nec.ac.uk/courses/sociology-a-level

Quick Reply

Latest