I'm 17, my parents have their own company and they force me to work with them

Watch
VladWat
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Basically, my parents bought their restaurant 1 year ago. (My stepdad and my mom)
I've been working for them everyday 8 hours in the summer without a day off in the kitchen since I'm on Hospitality and Catering at college.
Suddenly my step dad changes my workplace to as a Waiter and I'm trying to explain to my mom since 3 months that I dislike it and I'd rather go to another job.
I've tried working at their restaurant as a waiter and I can't enjoy it at all, it's a metal abuse job and the worst is that I have back problems, can't stand more than 2 hours in feet.
Today because I didn't go to work cause of my back she said I destroy her relationship and she'll break up with my stepdad cause of me.
I've just told her that she should keep her relationship and I will just move out when I'm 18, "I didn't want to break your relationship, I told you I don't like to work and now you come at me with this"

What am I supposed to do in this situation?
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
it is totally unreasonable for them to force you to work if you have a bad back.
eez
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
you're not gunna have a future if you work as a waiter all your life - tell him you want to achieve more and that its somewhat insulting that he doesn't believe in you. if you get him on the backfoot, you can get him where you want him.
VladWat
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
it is totally unreasonable for them to force you to work if you have a bad back.
So it's not only about a bad back, it's the thing that what my mom said, she just said I broke her relationship and she'll break up with my stepdad because I don't come to work with them..
VladWat
Rep:
?
(Original post by eez)
you're not gunna have a future if you work as a waiter all your life - tell him you want to achieve more and that its somewhat insulting that he doesn't believe in you. if you get him on the backfoot, you can get him where you want him.
I've tried this and it only got me "While you're in college you need to work somewhere so you can get money"
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by VladWat)
So it's not only about a bad back, it's the thing that what my mom said, she just said I broke her relationship and she'll break up with my stepdad because I don't come to work with them..
your Mum does not seem to see you as a priority.
eez
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've tried this and it only got me "While you're in college you need to work somewhere so you can get money"
why would you need money while in college? theyre not charging you for it.

the whole relationship excuse is weak, you working for him isn't going to decide how the relationship goes. just stand your ground.
VladWat
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
your Mum does not seem to see you as a priority.
Since they bought the restaurant, she's been working 6/7 days morning to night in the Kitchen, she's been obsessed with the restaurant and I even feel like she doesn't even care about how I feel or how I don't, just that she cooks me food/gives money for college
VladWat
Rep:
?
(Original post by eez)
why would you need money while in college? theyre not charging you for it.

the whole relationship excuse is weak, you working for him isn't going to decide how the relationship goes. just stand your ground.
I tried working for them few weeks just because of my mom and I don't enjoy it, I said I won't come anymore and now she's being sad/mad on me and tells me a lot of *****

I don't know what to do about this, honestly.. I haven't been with my mom or dad for 4 years since they've been divorced and left the country
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ahh the restaurant. The single worst business anyone could ever hope to try to run. You're not destroying any relationships here, but your parents' sh*tty decisions are.

Check your rights as an under-18 - you are generally entitled to two days off per week, and a 30 minute break if you're working for more than 4.5 hours at a time.

https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work/young-workers
eez
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I tried working for them few weeks just because of my mom and I don't enjoy it, I said I won't come anymore and now she's being sad/mad on me and tells me a lot of *****

I don't know what to do about this, honestly.. I haven't been with my mom or dad for 4 years since they've been divorced and left the country
it sounds like theyre only hiring you, as a minor, so they can get away with paying you far less. have you tried confronting both people and telling them what they're doing is wrong, manipulative and immoral?
VladWat
Rep:
?
(Original post by eez)
it sounds like theyre only hiring you, as a minor, so they can get away with paying you far less. have you tried confronting both people and telling them what they're doing is wrong, manipulative and immoral?
Did this with my mom but I can't with my step dad, I've been knowing him only for a few months
My mom keeps telling me that she's ashamed of my stepdad because I don't come to work and they "need" me
VladWat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Ahh the restaurant. The single worst business anyone could ever hope to try to run. You're not destroying any relationships here, but your parents' sh*tty decisions are.

Check your rights as an under-18 - you are generally entitled to two days off per week, and a 30 minute break if you're working for more than 4.5 hours at a time.

https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work/young-workers
It's not about the breaks nor free days, it's about mostly that she keeps telling me that they'll break up because I don't come to work with them
eez
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's not about the breaks nor free days, it's about mostly that she keeps telling me that they'll break up because I don't come to work with them
thats obviously not true though
VladWat
Rep:
?
(Original post by eez)
thats obviously not true though
I don't really know what to do..
It's been her birthday, I've had no money, she told me "You could've at least talk to your stepdad, work few hours and get me something.." I was at college then, I couldn't.
When I had money, I always bought her attentions to see that I still love her, went sometimes specially to buy her some stuff with the excuse that I went to buy some clothes for me, even tho she left the country for several years and left me only with my grandparents, I understood that it was because of my dad that he left us with lots of debts and she went to work in a better place.
eez
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't really know what to do..
It's been her birthday, I've had no money, she told me "You could've at least talk to your stepdad, work few hours and get me something.." I was at college then, I couldn't.
When I had money, I always bought her attentions to see that I still love her, went sometimes specially to buy her some stuff with the excuse that I went to buy some clothes for me, even tho she left the country for several years and left me only with my grandparents, I understood that it was because of my dad that he left us with lots of debts and she went to work in a better place.
cant you suggest alternative jobs that you'd prefer to do?
VladWat
Rep:
?
(Original post by eez)
cant you suggest alternative jobs that you'd prefer to do?
I've done this, even told her that I'll change my college course to IT rather than working in the kitchen, I've chosen this course just because I've been working with them in the summer 7/7 days, it was my mistake.
My step dad brought his friends here to help him with the company and she keeps telling me that his nephew that's 23 years old stays 24/7 there, even tho he just stays on the upper level on the phone 24/7 doing nothing, she's giving me everyone as an example like they're perfect and i'm completely **** and the worst son
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well that's just emotional blackmail. I wonder if there's a law against using that kind of coercion to get someone to work.
eez
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've done this, even told her that I'll change my college course to IT rather than working in the kitchen, I've chosen this course just because I've been working with them in the summer 7/7 days, it was my mistake.
My step dad brought his friends here to help him with the company and she keeps telling me that his nephew that's 23 years old stays 24/7 there, even tho he just stays on the upper level on the phone 24/7 doing nothing, she's giving me everyone as an example like they're perfect and i'm completely **** and the worst son
being 23 and working as a waiter full time isnt really something id wanna aim for and you probably feel the same. as @Sinnoh said, its emotional blackmail. id try get away from her as soon as you can, she has bad intentions
VladWat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Well that's just emotional blackmail. I wonder if there's a law against using that kind of coercion to get someone to work.
Even tho there would be a law against this, I wouldn't do anything about this to her, the problem is that I love my mom even tho she's unsure of this, I think
I just don't know how to get this over... I feel like complete ****...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (511)
33.71%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (627)
41.36%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (309)
20.38%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed