Help! Watch

Hermion
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I m studying in S4 and currently taking Biology, chemistry, physics, maths, English and geography. For higher studies I m planning to take the 3 sciences and maths and English, I really want to plan ahead and hoping to study biomedical sciences in university. What universities should I look for? And what preparation should I take beforehand? Any suggestions? And what advanced highers should I take? P.s I really want to go to university of Edinburgh or maybe Oxford or Cambridge (that's my ultimate dream but I don't know whether it is possible lol)
floraa02
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
hello - i’m in s6 and have just applied to uni so i’ll give you some advice from my experience

i’d make sure you have evidence of your interest in biomed such as work experience - this will back up your passion when you go to write a personal statement. the more evidence you have about yourself the better, and it’ll help you stand out. it’s good that you are thinking ahead so you have time to volunteer or something.

grades wise, all you can do is your best. so work hard, don’t be afraid to bother teachers for help! depending on your higher results i’d probably do at least one AH in a science of your choice but tbh choose the subjects you’re best at to do AH in as it’s a lot of work for a subject you don’t love.

in terms of which university i wouldn’t worry about it too much - in S5 visit those that have biomedical courses on offer and see which one you feel most at home in. consider accommodation, nightlife, sports, transport, etc.

i hope this helped! feel free to ask me anything else and i wish you the best of luck!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Hermion
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for this invaluable advice. But just wanted to ask you that I am not at all interested in becoming a general practitioner. I am saying this because I have read in many websites telling you that for your work experience you should go to our local GP or maybe nursing homes and possible try to do some work if you want to study medical science at university. But I have no interest at all. And second of all I want to study about biomedical science. So what should I do for my work experience. Any advice?
Thanks once again.
floraa02
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
yeah i said nothing about being a GP? hahaha? i only mentioned your interest in biomed?

research some biomedical volunteering experiences for teenagers as for example im interested in geography so i applied to spend a week in st. andrews doing fieldwork - stuff like that also shows your interest.
Hermion
Rep:
?
Oh I m so sorry for that! I know you said biomed .. but if you have a look at the entry requirements for biomed in university of Edinburgh they don't ask you to have any work experience but if you have a look for entry requirements for medicine they give you a ton of advice about having some work experience like shadowing Ur GP or something like that (if that makes sense) ..so yeah! Anyways thanks a lot for that! ♥️
floraa02
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i’m not saving you MUST do work experience but you really should have something that shows your interest - i have no work experience in geography but plenty of stuff to prove my interest
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (80)
60.15%
No (53)
39.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise