Rest time between shifts? Watch

coffeeaddict09
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi all, I am currently a 1st year student nurse on a busy ward in my local trust. My shift patterns are similar to my mentors and entail working lates and earlies. Lots of my shifts appear to be a late (1.30-9.30pm) followed by an early the next day (7am-3pm) sometimes I’ve getting 3-4 hours sleep max and I’m exhausted. I understand that some nurses have to do these shift patterns however, prior to starting my training was always under the impression that by law you had to have a minimum of 11 hours rest period (gap) between shifts, which in my case isn’t happening and for other students and staff also. Am I totally wrong on this or should we not be doing these shifts?
Also, even though technically as students we are supernumerary this is not happening. Thanks in advance
Claire461
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
squeakysquirrel
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by coffeeaddict09)
Hi all, I am currently a 1st year student nurse on a busy ward in my local trust. My shift patterns are similar to my mentors and entail working lates and earlies. Lots of my shifts appear to be a late (1.30-9.30pm) followed by an early the next day (7am-3pm) sometimes I’ve getting 3-4 hours sleep max and I’m exhausted. I understand that some nurses have to do these shift patterns however, prior to starting my training was always under the impression that by law you had to have a minimum of 11 hours rest period (gap) between shifts, which in my case isn’t happening and for other students and staff also. Am I totally wrong on this or should we not be doing these shifts?
Also, even though technically as students we are supernumerary this is not happening. Thanks in advance
Yes you are entitled to 11 hour break. If your mentors are doing these hours then the trust is breaking the law. I would speak with your tutors. Being exhausted leads to mistakes and whilst you are only a student you do not want to hit burnout
coffeeaddict09
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Thanks for your reply! I have spoken to the university and they’re silent on the matter and when I spoke to the Practice Education Facillitators at the NHS Trust I’m on placement at, they told me to “suck it up” and “if I can’t do it then I shouldn’t be a nurse” If this is the treatment student nurses, nurses an other qualified healthcare professionals get it’s no wonder we have such a staffing shortage. What can I do? Just because something is ‘the norm’ it doesn’t mean it should be allowed. After plenty of research, including the RCN and NHS Employers website it states a minimum 11 hour test period between shifts.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (115)
58.67%
No (81)
41.33%

Watched Threads