The Student Room Group

Life after uni worries

Hey!

To keep it short... I am currently a year 2 student studying Education.

Prior to this course, I had achieved my qualification in level 3 child care. And I have 5 gcse’s C and above (including English and maths). On top of this, I have plenty of experience within a childcare setting as I’ve volunteered in settings over the course of 3 years. And currently am helping out at a school now one day a week around uni.

However, my plan after uni is to become a TA for a few years just to gain confidence and to have a break from education, then maybe to do a pgce later on in life. But I feel SO anxious that I am not going to get a job as a TA in case I finish uni with a 2.2. (Even tho, majority of TA positions do not even require a degree, so I’m already qualified by my level 3, but I feel that as if my degree grade will look bad on me.

Am I just over thinking the situation?
Reply 1
Yes, I step at a time, enjoy your degree studies and I'm sure all will be well.
Same position, I'm in my final year too and I think most people feel the same.

I've come up with a relatively sound plan - MSc Forensic Psych into QFP stage 2, but I don't know if things will actually go that way. I need to actually get applying for Masters after my exams are done with.

Just try coming up with a plan going forward so you're not completely aimless, which you seem to have done already. I think you'll be fine though, just enjoy the rest of your degree :h:

Good luck with everything!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Abbdabb
Hey!

Prior to this course, I had achieved my qualification in level 3 child care. And I have 5 gcse’s C and above (including English and maths). On top of this, I have plenty of experience within a childcare setting as I’ve volunteered in settings over the course of 3 years. And currently am helping out at a school now one day a week around uni.

However, my plan after uni is to become a TA for a few years just to gain confidence and to have a break from education, then maybe to do a pgce later on in life. But I feel SO anxious that I am not going to get a job as a TA in case I finish uni with a 2.2. (Even tho, majority of TA positions do not even require a degree, so I’m already qualified by my level 3, but I feel that as if my degree grade will look bad on me.

It won't look bad. TA jobs are easy to get if you have the right attitude and minimum education requirements, so don't worry about it.
Original post by Abbdabb
Hey!

To be honest, you are worrying about nothing because you have more than enough qualifications to work as a TA, regardless of whether you get a 2.1 or 2.2.

They will be looking more at your attitude to children and your experience of working with children, which you have a good amount of. I think you will be an excellent candidate and it's a good idea to work as a TA for a year or two before starting a PGCE. Some TAs get trained to teach through their schools, while others decide to leave to pursue a full time PGCE.
Thank you, I appreciate this and all comments above! Needed someone to talk sense to me, it’s so easily to get just myself into a panick mindset. It’s only because I care so much about my future job that I’m aiming for x

Thanks all x
Your future workplace will take into account a number of things instead of purely just your grade. While you're still at uni, it's definitely worth considering ways in which you can add to your experience to improve your CV.

Your careers office at your uni is always a great starting place as they understand your qualification and employability inside out. There are also some fantastic undergrad employee programmes such as CEOx1Day that can be of use to you too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending