Only took 3 A-Levels, am I at a big disadvantage?

Watch
jassypants
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I originally planned to take 4 A-Levels but was strongly advised not to by my principal so stuck to 3. I am starting to panic reading TSR forums and such because it seems the majority of people applying to Cambridge, Imperial etc. have taken 4 A-Levels.

I'd like to study Computer Science but I'm not sure if I'd have a chance of getting into a top university if I don't have Further Maths (I'm taking single maths, physics and computer science A level).

There is an option to take AS further maths next year, but I'm not sure if an AS is worth it? (btw I'm in yr12 right now).
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jassypants)
I originally planned to take 4 A-Levels but was strongly advised not to by my principal so stuck to 3. I am starting to panic reading TSR forums and such because it seems the majority of people applying to Cambridge, Imperial etc. have taken 4 A-Levels.

I'd like to study Computer Science but I'm not sure if I'd have a chance of getting into a top university if I don't have Further Maths (I'm taking single maths, physics and computer science A level).

There is an option to take AS further maths next year, but I'm not sure if an AS is worth it? (btw I'm in yr12 right now).
Well, Imperial state that they "strongly recommend" FM to A2.
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jassypants)

Most unis’ entry requirements are only 3 A-levels, so that shouldn’t be an issue. However, I would strongly recommend checking your preferred universities’ entry requirements in case some of them do specify a fourth subject.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
there are plenty of places to study computing which do not require top A level scores. the people who graduate then go on to have rewarding careers.

although it is nice for parents to say "Alfredo is up at Fitzbillies reading something awfully exciting involving robots" it is better to find somewhere you feel comfortable with.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
AS further maths could be helpful. If you like doing maths then it could be a good idea to take it.
4 A-levels is generally a bad idea unless the 4th one is further maths or a language you're fluent in, since those would involve less work than 4 completely distinct subjects.
Also, TSR is not representative of the general population of students.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (279)
33.94%
No (543)
66.06%

Watched Threads