The Student Room Group

Revising only the content

I have received this advice from countless of people teachers and smart friends alike. A lot of them say that there is no such thing as exam technique. If you know the content then you will know the answer. I take biology chemistry and religious studies and i wholehearted believe that is true for RS and partly for chemistry. As many of the questions in chemsitry keep coming up, i have found that i keep making silly mistakes, and when i said that to my teacher he said it is because i do not know the content well enough. I was advice to write up notes from the textbook, then write notes from my notes and then recall them from memory.( spaced repetition) So it is a 3 step process which should ingrain all the information in my mind.But i have a few questions on this technique. Particularly with biology, because the ms seems so different to what the question is asking me and i can never know what the question wants from me. But many of my friends who get good results, do only a handful of exams questions, they all focus on the content.Can i get some more advice on this please? Has anyone else tried this method with mu subjects ?
Reply 1
that advice is not great haha

there 100% is such thing as exam technique, especially for A level biology. do as many exam questions as you can find, even old spec if its the same information required. study the markscheme and eventually you'll get better at writing exactly what the examiners want to hear. same goes for chem, but rs is an essay subject right? so naturally exam technique is just being good at writing essays!

Quick Reply

Latest