h26
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi, this extract is from my school notes - I still don't quite get the difference between primary and secondary radiation. Would really like some help! Thanks!

"Ionising radiation is any EM wave or particle that carries sufficient energy to ionise (remove electrons) from an atom.
There are two types of EMR that are ionising – x-rays and gamma rays. There are three types of nuclear particle that are ionising – alpha particles, beta particles and neutrons.
When ionising radiation interacts with matter, it creates secondary radiation of a lower energy. Together, the primary and secondary radiation then trigger ionisation in the environment and the synthesis of highly reactive free radicals! Moreover, energy is released as heat. The linear energy transfer (LET) describes the loss in energy of primary radiation. It is a numerical expression of the particle energy lost to the medium per unit track length. Unit is Jm-1.
LET value high for: a radiation, fast nuclear fragments (during nuclear fission), low for: photon radiation.+"

Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Erm, I think a good example of this would be a nuclear reactor. You've got the primary radiation coming from the fuel rods, they're emitting neutrons. Those neutrons then interact with atomic nuclei within the reactor, causing them to become unstable and radioactive. The radiation from those "affected" atoms is the secondary radiation, because it is caused by the primary radiation interacting with them.
h26
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Erm, I think a good example of this would be a nuclear reactor. You've got the primary radiation coming from the fuel rods, they're emitting neutrons. Those neutrons then interact with atomic nuclei within the reactor, causing them to become unstable and radioactive. The radiation from those "affected" atoms is the secondary radiation, because it is caused by the primary radiation interacting with them.
Ah right, I see! So, the primary radiation is being emitted from the fuel rods and the primary radiation in your example are the neutrons. So it's sorta like this in a different situation, right? Name:  6.PNG
Views: 21
Size:  127.5 KB
Last edited by h26; 7 months ago
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by h26)
Ah right, I see! So, the primary radiation is being emitted from the fuel rods and the primary radiation in your example are the neutrons. So it's sorta like this in a different situation, right? Name:  6.PNG
Views: 21
Size:  127.5 KB
Yeah. I guess in that example the secondary radiation would be the red arrows
h26
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Yeah. I guess in that example the secondary radiation would be the red arrows
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (21)
6.03%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (203)
58.33%
No (124)
35.63%

Watched Threads