British Politics and Brexit and no deal or a deal and all that. Watch

mjhmichael18
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
If there was a no deal scenario, How could Elizabeth Boyle who lives in Northern Ireland meet up with her friend Nancy Kelly who lives in the Republic of Ireland every three months? Would Elizabeth Boyle have to use her passport just to cross the Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland hard border? Thanks and Best wishes From Michael.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ColinDent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by mjhmichael18)
If there was a no deal scenario, How could Elizabeth Boyle who lives in Northern Ireland meet up with her friend Nancy Kelly who lives in the Republic of Ireland every three months? Would Elizabeth Boyle have to use her passport just to cross the Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland hard border? Thanks and Best wishes From Michael.
No she wouldn't
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
A border isn't land mines and DMZ. It's not Korea 2.0. It's a border. There's a border when you go on holiday to Europe. Yep Europe. You show your passport. That's a hard border. Hard border isn't bad
mjhmichael18
Rep:
?
Are you sure of that?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Are you sure of that?
Absolutely

Okay link didn't work, here's some of the text from gov.uk

After a ‘no deal’ Brexit on 29 March 2019
If you are an Irish citizen you will continue to have the right to enter and remain in the UK, as now. You are not required to do anything to protect your status.

You will continue to have the same reciprocal rights associated with the CTA in the same way that British citizens in Ireland would if there is no deal. These rights include the right to work, study and vote, access to social welfare benefits and health services. Where required, domestic legislation and agreements will be updated to ensure that the CTA rights continue to have a clear legal basis.
Last edited by ColinDent; 3 weeks ago
mjhmichael18
Rep:
?
I am not talking about an Irish citizen entering UK. I am talking about a UK citizen entering Ireland that way round not the other. These people have been friends for 30 years since they first met at University.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I am not talking about an Irish citizen entering UK. I am talking about a UK citizen entering Ireland that way round not the other. These people have been friends for 30 years since they first met at University.
Yep that's mentioned too but I couldn't be bothered to copy it all.
The common travel area agreement predates our eu membership by some 50 years and is a legally recognised international treaty so simply cannot be ignored.
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If ireland wants to act like a real country it shoud accept the fact that it may have to have a proper border we should not give in to terrorists, Northern Ireland will remain a part of us forever, just as Ireland should have
mjhmichael18
Rep:
?
(Original post by ColinDent)
Yep that's mentioned too but I couldn't be bothered to copy it all.
The common travel area agreement predates our eu membership by some 50 years and is a legally recognised international treaty so simply cannot be ignored.
Do you think Article 50 could be extended? And if so when to?
Mister Fantastic
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I had to queue up for an hour and show my passport when I went to Spain last year. They even made me take off my belt and shoes. Fascists.
mjhmichael18
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mister Fantastic)
I had to queue up for an hour and show my passport when I went to Spain last year. They even made me take off my belt and shoes. Fascists.
Do you think there could be a 2nd referendum?
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Do you think Article 50 could be extended? And if so when to?
Well if parliament has it's way then yes almost certainly, as for how long that's anyone's guess but I believe mr Corbyn would get his wish for a general election at that point because the Eurosceptics in the conservative party would support a no confidence vote, then a new ukip type party will gain very many seats in parliament and we will leave without a deal.
Just my guess though, very possible as there will be a huge kickback against the main parties due to their dishonesty.
Mister Fantastic
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Do you think there could be a 2nd referendum?
Yep.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (49)
9.37%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.68%
No, but I want to start (188)
35.95%
No, I am unable to (122)
23.33%
No, I chose not to (150)
28.68%