The Student Room Group

Human Resources Management Masters - Is it worth it?!

Hey guys.

I graduated from BSc Sociology in May 2018. I got a job as a HR Administrator just before I graduated. I love working in HR and have been thriving so far.

I was thinking about doing a Masters in HRM for a few reasons:

1. I don't have a business related degree that some companies look for.
2. No CIPD qualifications as of yet.
3. I love learning.
4. My ultimate goal is HR Director - I want the best chance I can get to make it there.

Is it worth pursuing this? I currently work for a university, so I'm sure I can find a way to study and work there at the same time - maybe a part-time course or going part-time in my job for the year. They're pretty flexible.

I'm thinking about this from a money viewpoint as well. If there wasn't such a hefty cost, I would go for it - no doubt. I don't mind getting another loan, but I want it to be worth it. I want it to help me gain more opportunities and work my way up the ladder.

Is there a different route I can take to get there?
Original post by stemmery

Have you talked to your line manager about this? They would be able to advise about what is required to climb the career ladder where you are. You may not need a masters.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
Have you talked to your line manager about this? They would be able to advise about what is required to climb the career ladder where you are. You may not need a masters.

My line manager is off sick for a couple of months so won't be able to ask him. Will ask around at work when I'm back in (I've also been off sick).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending