Ciffsome
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi there, I’m a student who finished high school using my own country’s curriculum, but I am now taking an additional year to write the Cambridge International A levels. I have just started and am trying to decide whether or not a 4th a Level will add any value to my application. I am taking Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics and Computer Science. Having to do both the AS and A2 exams is supposedly quite hectic so I might drop computer science and just take 3. I want to study Mathematics at Cambridge as my first choice. Any advice?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ciffsome)
Hi there, I’m a student who finished high school using my own country’s curriculum, but I am now taking an additional year to write the Cambridge International A levels. I have just started and am trying to decide whether or not a 4th a Level will add any value to my application. I am taking Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics and Computer Science. Having to do both the AS and A2 exams is supposedly quite hectic so I might drop computer science and just take 3. I want to study Mathematics at Cambridge as my first choice. Any advice?
They only require 3.
They can sometimes be more lenient if you have 4 or it comes to a tiebreak.

If your 4th is poor then it adds nothing. Go for 3 good ones.

Many of your competitors will be at the top of their game. Consider an EPQ and food experience.
Poisson
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You probably already have high school qualifications from your own country and if they are very good I would suggest contacting the Cambridge Admission Office to see their equivalence in terms of A-levels and whether they'd be accepted.

There is sense in taking another year to do A-levels especially in Maths and Further Maths but you could consider not doing computer science and physics. I would suggest focussing purely on Maths and studying for the three STEP papers as well as doing maths competitions and other maths related extra-curricular instead. You could even take the Additional Mathematics A-level as that will definitely help in applying for maths at Cambridge.
thekidwhogames
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would 3 and focus the remaining time preparing for STEP, admission test, interviews, competitions, etc.
Ciffsome
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thanks for all the help everyone👌🏼
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (292)
56.05%
I don't have everything I need (229)
43.95%

Watched Threads