Chasing some CHEQUES and a DREAM - A*AAA GYG Watch

chieula2301
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Facts about me:

1. I'm Vietnamese.

2. I'm 19, but still doing A-levels at the moment because I decided that it is the only way to get into unis like LSE!

3. I live in Bucks but I go to college in London - a long journey everyday

4. Subjects I'm doing:

Maths (Edexcel) - A
Further Maths (Edexcel) - predicted A*
Economics (Edexcel) - predicted A
Government and Politics (AQA) - predicted A

5. Unis I've applied to, in order of preferences:

LSE - Maths and Economics (pending)
Warwick - Economics (A*A)
UCL - Economics and Statistics (pending)
Bristol - Economics and Finance (AA)
Manchester - Economics (AB)

And here is my journey to get A*A*A (the last A is already achieved so, meh) x
Last edited by chieula2301; 2 weeks ago
nyxnko_
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Good luck! :rave:
Moments
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Good luck.

Any particular area of finance (i'm guessing) you have in mind?
Is finance something that particularly motivates you?
chieula2301
Rep:
?
(Original post by Moments)
Good luck.

Any particular area of finance (i'm guessing) you have in mind?
Is finance something that particularly motivates you?
My ultimate goal is to be able to get in McKinsey, if not then IB would be great.

More like money coming from it motivates me if I’m honest 😂

I took out a big loan from my sister to fund my education in the UK and I do want to pay her back in the end when I have a decent job, with interest 😂
chieula2301
Rep:
?
21/01/2019: Further Maths

Core 1&2:

Got A* for the last 3 class tests, quite happy but not really over the moon, because I thought I was gonna get full marks but I did not. I finished it with time to spare, I checked, but apparently not thoroughly enough so mistakes still happened.

Lesson learned: check carefully as I go along when I do my exam because it could be very dreadful having to check every single bit when I have finished the test.

Further Pure 1:

I don’t know what to say really. I have a good teacher (I think), but in my opinion, he is not very organised when it comes to transferring knowledge from his mind to his students.

I struggled a bit with vectors (so far), decided to buy a book on FP1 to self-study at home.

Further Mechanics:

It caught me out, badly.. I did a combined test for FM+FP1 and I couldn’t do any questions related to Elastic Strings and Work, Energy, Power. I admit those are hard questions but I just feel like I don’t get the basic bit of the problem.

Lesson learned: be active in organising my own coursework, go through the textbook, find different types of questions that could be asked, if I don’t do it, I would completely miss out because my tutor wouldn’t do it anyway.

I’m always knackered on Mondays, because I have 4 classes, each is 2 hour long so basically from 9AM to 6PM. And the worse thing is, tomorrow is the same with Exam Practice at 11AM (40 minutes in exam condition), that gives me a really short time to revise at Monday nights, while I’m already tired as hell..

Anyway, life is difficult, one way or another, but I will get through this!

Have a good night everyone! 💤
Last edited by chieula2301; 3 weeks ago
Moments
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by chieula2301)
My ultimate goal is to be able to get in McKinsey, if not then IB would be great.

More like money coming from it motivates me if I’m honest 😂

I took out a big loan from my sister to fund my education in the UK and I do want to pay her back in the end when I have a decent job, with interest 😂
Aiming high with McKinsey eh? 😉 that's excellent!

Never beat yourself up over not getting 100 though. Remember, to stand out you only need to be better than the people in front of you. You beat your A-level group, then step it up to beat your uni cohort and you step it up again to beat your grad scheme cohort. Whatever mark is, doesn’t matter.

If you want to succeed at that level of finance you’ll need a streak of arrogant ruthlessness inside you too. But that will come with time as you start beating your peers at various levels.

Look forward to the updates, go get em!
chieula2301
Rep:
?
Aiming high with McKinsey eh? 😉 that's excellent!

Never beat yourself up over not getting 100 though. Remember, to stand out you only need to be better than the people in front of you. You beat your A-level group, then step it up to beat your uni cohort and you step it up again to beat your grad scheme cohort. Whatever mark is, doesn’t matter.

If you want to succeed at that level of finance you’ll need a streak of arrogant ruthlessness inside you too. But that will come with time as you start beating your peers at various levels.

Look forward to the updates, go get em!
That is really encouraging, thank you!

Are you or were you in the same position with the same dream like I am?
Moments
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
That is really encouraging, thank you!

Are you or were you in the same position with the same dream like I am?
You’re welcome.

Not quite in the same position but I am half viet though! Actually I’m 11 years older and studying to move away from finance into engineering.

I think if I had the chance to go back and do something again, it would be to try properly at A level (I didn’t do very well overall). I got a big company straight from college, because I knew the right person.

Guess I’m hoping you don’t make the same mistake I did during college, because even though I didn’t need to do well, it feels like something isn’t complete.
gcsemusicsucks
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yaay good luck! :hugs:
chieula2301
Rep:
?
You’re welcome.

Not quite in the same position but I am half viet though! Actually I’m 11 years older and studying to move away from finance into engineering.

I think if I had the chance to go back and do something again, it would be to try properly at A level (I didn’t do very well overall). I got a big company straight from college, because I knew the right person.

Guess I’m hoping you don’t make the same mistake I did during college, because even though I didn’t need to do well, it feels like something isn’t complete.
With that mindset, I'm sure you'll be great when you get into engineering
chieula2301
Rep:
?
I wish I could change the thread title into Chasing some cheques and a dream - A*AAA. Does anybody know how?

24/01/2019:

Life in general:

Yesterday was my 20th birthday, went out for dinner with family, spent time with my boyfriend and I think that I'm a lot happier and luckier than many people in this world, to have a place to fall back, a family to be with, a special friend to share my journey with and I should not take that for granted.

Further Maths:

As expected, did alright with Further Pure 1 (although I didn't quite get everything), failed badly with Further Mechanics 1 (as usual), got C in general. I've constantly got CECC for my 4 class tests from the beginning of the school year until now and I'm worried as hell! This could not end well!!

Economics:

This is the subject that I 'think' that I'm quite good at and an A is definitely reachable! However, I seriously doubt that recently since we haven't made much progress, still at theme 4 and I don't feel like I got every concept Too much to revise, did that bit by bit at the weekends but still feeling lost somehow.

Politics:

Couldn't be arsed. My offers are A*A so I've been neglecting Politics recently, which is a bad idea!!! I should keep my work ethic as before and work to an A standard!!! Still struggling with American politics though, the good news is my tutor has finally opened some surgeries on it so I can go to (if I can find the time).
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
you can change the title of the thread by right-clicking 'edit' on the first post of this thread :yes: it should take you to the old editor which lets you change your title
happy belated birthday! :party2:
chieula2301
Rep:
?
(Original post by nyxnko_)
you can change the title of the thread by right-clicking 'edit' on the first post of this thread :yes: it should take you to the old editor which lets you change your title
happy belated birthday! :party2:
aw thank you very much! I’ll do that when I get back to my laptop xxxx
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
aw thank you very much! I’ll do that when I get back to my laptop xxxx
no problem
chieula2301
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
10/02/2019

A lot had happened ever since I last posted on this thread! And I mean, A LOT!

School life:

Further Maths:

Exam practices have been rolling in for a couple of weeks and it really exposed my weaknesses when it comes to time pressure. I luckily got A for Further Mechanics, but because it was only a 40 minute session so my tutor could not test us everything, so he decided to cut out oblique impacts (which is the bit that I truly suck at). However, mocks are coming at the beginning of March and it will be a full paper on every topic! I really should get revising properly and start drilling in that dumb part of mechanics...

Got a C for core pure though, because I stupidly slipped and most of the marks were affected. More past papers need to be done during this half term break!

Economics/Politics:

I feel like we have not covered that Theme 4 that thoroughly tbh, but apparently we have finished everything and it's time for revision so I can foresee a tonne of self-studying work to do... My tutor told us the questions for the exam practices and helped us prepare for it so I don't really know what is the point of it anymore, of course, I got high A all the way through, which seriously makes me doubt about the reality when I have to sit in the real exam not knowing what the questions are, how can I develop thoughts and manage the time if I had not been practising to do so? But, I bloody need an A, or even A* to save my life so I will cope and find a way!

Urgh don't even wanna talk about politics, dreadful is the only word I can think of! I don't pay much attention to it like I used to anymore, which is a bad thing to do I know but I can't help it. Absolutely terrified of both US and UK politics. I only chose the subject because I hope it will be my ticket into LSE but I'm not sure if it's worth it anymore... I haven't heard back from them yet, which is not helpful either, I wish they could just either reject me, or accept me in the next few weeks...

Life in general:

It has been the toughest time ever in my life. I was diagnosed with retinitis pigmentosa on Thursday, which is a genetic disorder that will worsen my vision and eventually leave me blind. My vision at the top right corner of my right eye is gone, and I only noticed that after I came back from the hospital.

Many articles on the internet said that patients with this disease will be legally blind by 40. In my case, 20 years from now.

I was devastated. But then all those tears and sorrows do not help the situation anyway, so I moved on from that.

A big lesson that I have learned during these days is, life is precious, and to be living healthily and happily and to be operating at your full body potential is a privilege. I learned to be more responsible with myself, my body, my health. I completely cut KFC (I loved their hot wings a lot and I used to have them like 3-4 times a week), eat more vegetables and try to have a balanced diet. Time is finite and days are numbered. Everything may not feel the same before the diagnosis anymore. I hope I can find some courage to move ahead and work my arse off, to pretend that things did not happen and my happy life could come back to me.
Last edited by chieula2301; 6 days ago
_pxmudi_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Wow, I hope God gives you the strength and all the happiness. You deserve it. :heart: I still haven't been diagnosed with any genetic disease but my vision is pretty bad too and I totally understand. I can't even see 1 metre ahead of me properly without my glasses. With my glasses I am good for now.
Good luck on getting your dream grades! :proud: Be happy, stay blessed.
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Yay for further mechanics! :woo:
Hope you hear back from LSE soon :crossedf:
And your lesson is truly special :lovehug: It's one that I think a lot of people, especially students, overlook. We're so caught up in grades, what's up next and our successes and failures that we forget to treasure the things that we have at the moment.. :sadnod:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (47)
9.07%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.7%
No, but I want to start (186)
35.91%
No, I am unable to (121)
23.36%
No, I chose not to (150)
28.96%