The Student Room Group

I want to learn music software...

I want to create music, EDM for example.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Advice from someone who has experience in this field would be great.

I'd prefer something free, but has a structured 'course' I can follow as a complete beginner. I'd prefer more mediocre software that has a lot of learning resources than top tier software where you have to scour the internet troubleshooting on your own.

And a forum where I can ask questions would be great.

Mods move my thread if there is a better forum to post this in plox <3
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ChickenMadness

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Advice from someone who has experience in this field would be great.

I'd prefer something free, but has a structured 'course' I can follow as a complete beginner. I'd prefer more mediocre software that has a lot of learning resources than top tier software where you have to scour the internet troubleshooting on your own.

Hey there :smile:
I think your thread is in the right place but could also be in music :dontknow: @AngryJellyfish is the pro to go to :ahee:

Regarding your plans to create music
1 - that's super awesome, I really hope you follow your dream :ahee:
2 - I am no expert at all on the subject but maybe people like XOR here can help give you some advice :smile:

x

:bump:
Reply 2
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Hey there :smile:
I think your thread is in the right place but could also be in music :dontknow: @AngryJellyfish is the pro to go to :ahee:

Regarding your plans to create music
1 - that's super awesome, I really hope you follow your dream :ahee:
2 - I am no expert at all on the subject but maybe people like XOR here can help give you some advice :smile:

:bump:

I ended up buying FL studio. Learning it now :tongue:

I uploaded some practice songs already.

(edited 5 years ago)
Nice : I got Mixcraft can give it you if you want when torrentz were widely available...I just played about with it and tried to replicate tunes I loved, mainly grimey 2step, lots of functioality to just mess about with. I would say that trying to replicate something would be a good starting point. I didnt even used a template at all just laid down the drums and snares manually since grimey 2step has awkward patterns anyway. Then you can mess and add filters w/e, but yeah im not a expert or anything but spent at least 100 hours and damaged my ears.
Reply 4
Original post by ChickenMadness

Not to be THAT guy, but there really is a plethora of resources for FL Studio, it works well for beginners to pros and everything in between. There are loads of videos online that go through the basics, and some of the more advanced stuff too. It's not free, but when there's a will, there's a way, if you get what I mean...
Reply 5
Original post by Nightowk
Nice : I got Mixcraft can give it you if you want when torrentz were widely available...I just played about with it and tried to replicate tunes I loved, mainly grimey 2step, lots of functioality to just mess about with. I would say that trying to replicate something would be a good starting point. I didnt even used a template at all just laid down the drums and snares manually since grimey 2step has awkward patterns anyway. Then you can mess and add filters w/e, but yeah im not a expert or anything but spent at least 100 hours and damaged my ears.

Np, I ended up buying FL studio. Thanks though.

Quick Reply

Latest