Q for oxbridge reapplicants (rejected twice?!?) Watch

pepperfish
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Has anyone on here applied to Oxford/Cambridge, been rejected, reapplied, and then been rejected again? If so, what was your experience like? I see tonnes of success stories but I can't gauge the likelihood of being accepted second time round. I've just been rejected and would like to reapply (with 4A* A levels) but not if it's too much of a risk.

Likewise, if you reapplied and then were accepted, what was your experience like? Would you recommend it? Did you improve on something to get in, or was it just down to better luck?

THANK YOU!
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by pepperfish)
Has anyone on here applied to Oxford/Cambridge, been rejected, reapplied, and then been rejected again? If so, what was your experience like? I see tonnes of success stories but I can't gauge the likelihood of being accepted second time round. I've just been rejected and would like to reapply (with 4A* A levels) but not if it's too much of a risk.

Likewise, if you reapplied and then were accepted, what was your experience like? Would you recommend it? Did you improve on something to get in, or was it just down to better luck?

THANK YOU!
Moved to Oxbridge
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
People don't tend to talk about their rejection the first time around, let alone second.

I am not aware of any data from the uni or elsewhere on this topic either I'm afraid.
NR18
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago

THANK YOU!
Hi, I know this reply is a bit late but I reapplied and got in. The main thing I did was got my feedback, looked over what was bad and worked to improve it. For example, my written work the first time round scored a 7/10 and the second time round I submitted a better essay that got a 9/10. I also made sure to do more revision for my admissions test the second time round and my score also improved. In my view it’s not a good plan to just rely on luck. Hope that helps
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago

THANK YOU!
(Original post by nexttime)
People don't tend to talk about their rejection the first time around, let alone second.

I am not aware of any data from the uni or elsewhere on this topic either I'm afraid.
Cambridge data on 2 or 3 time reapplicants...
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...lied_in_at_lea
pepperfish
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Cambridge data on 2 or 3 time reapplicants...
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...lied_in_at_lea
Great to know, thank you
pepperfish
Rep:
?
(Original post by NR18)
Hi, I know this reply is a bit late but I reapplied and got in. The main thing I did was got my feedback, looked over what was bad and worked to improve it. For example, my written work the first time round scored a 7/10 and the second time round I submitted a better essay that got a 9/10. I also made sure to do more revision for my admissions test the second time round and my score also improved. In my view it’s not a good plan to just rely on luck. Hope that helps
Thanks, that was really helpful I've had feedback from the college now but it was not particularly helpful. No figures, just comments. Nonetheless, I think I know what I would need to work on. Might I ask how you did in your A-levels? Thank you very much for your help
NR18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Thanks, that was really helpful I've had feedback from the college now but it was not particularly helpful. No figures, just comments. Nonetheless, I think I know what I would need to work on. Might I ask how you did in your A-levels? Thank you very much for your help
It’s a shame about the feedback not being that useful. I did Advanced Highers (I’m from Scotland) but I *think* the grades I got convert to A*A*A at alevel
pepperfish
Rep:
?
(Original post by NR18)
It’s a shame about the feedback not being that useful. I did Advanced Highers (I’m from Scotland) but I *think* the grades I got convert to A*A*A at alevel
I know! But hey ho. Those grades are great - pleased your talent was recognised eventually
NR18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I know! But hey ho. Those grades are great - pleased your talent was recognised eventually
Thanks! Best of luck with whatever you decide to do. What course would you be reapplying for?
jarratel
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Try requesting specific feedback from your department, I got very general comments from my college and department sent me all my numerical scores upon request. You can also try making a freedom of information act request on the aforelinked website whatdotheyknow to get data that you're particularly interested in for reapplicants. I'm reapplying as well by the way
Yasablanca
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I had an offer to study Law at a certain Cambridge college but I missed my offer. Immediately following results day, I was put in the summer pool but they couldn't find a place for me so I was rejected. Knowing that my only downfall was my grade in one A-level subject, I decided to reapply mainly because I knew I did okay enough in the interviews and admissions tests to get an offer the first time around, so I could probably do the same if not better this time and hopefully if I mentioned in my PS that I was retaking the subject that led to me missing my offer, they may give me another chance. I reapplied to another college (although I emailed my original college and they encouraged me to reapply there, I've heard stories about how it is favourable to reapply elsewhere), did even better in my interviews and admissions tests than I did last year and ended up with an unconditional offer with the same grades I got rejected with last year. Funny how things turn out. I don't know if it was down to luck tbh, I genuinely think I performed way better in my interviews this time and so it may have been sufficient enough to waive the grade requirement. I would recommend reapplying!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?