The Student Room Group

How doomed is my dream of becoming a dentist or should i do dental hygiene?

So my grades are really rubbish C in maths, C in English language, C in science. I did BTEC level 3 extended diploma 90 credit Medical Science and got D*D*D in college which is nowhere near equivalent to A level grades. And now I am in university studying Biomedical Science. I aim to get a 2:1 or 1st at the end of the 3 year and get into the graduate route or pre-dental route. The reason my grades are so low is because in Leeds in the year that I was applying to high school they made everyone go to their closest school in order to minimise the number of lateness from students who travel far. so I was put into the worst school ever and had a really bad education. my grades are nowhere near dental student grades at all.

I was thinking maybe I should think realistic and just do dental hygiene but my dream is to really get into dentistry soo bad. And no it I was not a dream of mine since I was young my fascination with dental health and the structure of the head and oral cavity started actually before I went to University.

so how doomed am I into getting accepted into dental school??? Am I stupid that I'm still considering trying or even dreaming of it when I know how competitive it is to get in their and the amount of people that will be applying with decent A level grades??

Excuse my spelling mistakes i'm stressing about my future.
I can’t speak for your chances on getting into dental, but you really don’t have the right to blame your bad grades on your school. Even if they’re not a good school, if you would’ve been able to get high grades at another school, you would still have the capacity to get at least decent grades at the one you were at.
Reply 2
Original post by ShitCraic
I can’t speak for your chances on getting into dental, but you really don’t have the right to blame your bad grades on your school. Even if they’re not a good school, if you would’ve been able to get high grades at another school, you would still have the capacity to get at least decent grades at the one you were at.

What i was meant to say was the students in my school were extremly distruptive that we hardly ever went through the lesson smoothly withount the teacher having to constantly stop and focus on the bad students. The teachers focused more on dealing with the bad students instead of helping those that were actually willing to learn. And it was not a surpirse to me that my school was put in the news for being the worst school in leeds. This lead to a lot of the teachers leaving the school and there was a period of time when i was in year 10 when i didn't have a proper teacher for maths and only substitues. The students scared them off as well. Because we did not have a proper teacher for so long in year 11 their plan was to remove me completley from sociology, and history nd health and social care lesson to focus on my maths and english. This meant i had to do revision at home or attend after school club for the lessons they removed me from which was bad because sometimes they couldn't make it. This stressed me out.
Reply 3
Original post by Tina13
So my grades are really rubbish C in maths, C in English language, C in science. I did BTEC level 3 extended diploma 90 credit Medical Science and got D*D*D in college which is nowhere near equivalent to A level grades. And now I am in university studying Biomedical Science. I aim to get a 2:1 or 1st at the end of the 3 year and get into the graduate route or pre-dental route. The reason my grades are so low is because in Leeds in the year that I was applying to high school they made everyone go to their closest school in order to minimise the number of lateness from students who travel far. so I was put into the worst school ever and had a really bad education. my grades are nowhere near dental student grades at all.

I was thinking maybe I should think realistic and just do dental hygiene but my dream is to really get into dentistry soo bad. And no it I was not a dream of mine since I was young my fascination with dental health and the structure of the head and oral cavity started actually before I went to University.

so how doomed am I into getting accepted into dental school??? Am I stupid that I'm still considering trying or even dreaming of it when I know how competitive it is to get in their and the amount of people that will be applying with decent A level grades??

I don't believe it's ever too late! Is it possible to get onto an access course that will allow you to get onto a dentistry course?
The graduate route sounds useful. Can a dental nurse do any kind of on the job training?
Reply 4
Original post by ShitCraic

no way is that true. The really bad schools are really bad - you might be able to make up for this at A level but not from age 11.
Reply 5
Original post by Tina13

have you checked the requirements of dental schools?
Well, we can all clearly see your passion to be a dentist. and besides the grades, that the most important thing.
Nothing is ever doomed until you give up.
So keep going, dedicate yourself to your passion and all your dreams will come true.
Good Luck

You don't need luck :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by ajj2000
no way is that true. The really bad schools are really bad - you might be able to make up for this at A level but not from age 11.

Thank god you understand where i'm coming from. There was even a point when my headtecher had to put my whole class in a circle to explain why we were so rude to the teacher that was teaching us and the teacher even cried infront of us. After that the students still made fun off him and he ended up leaving. My school was just hell.
Reply 8
Original post by Tina13
Thank god you understand where i'm coming from. There was even a point when my headtecher had to put my whole class in a circle to explain why we were so rude to the teacher that was teaching us and the teacher even cried infront of us. After that the students still made fun off him and he ended up leaving. My school was just hell.

I've known people who have attended such schools, and taught at them. People don't want to beleive how limiting it is to an education.
Reply 9
Original post by ajj2000
have you checked the requirements of dental schools?

Yes i have checked some universities and i'm not able to go the undergrad route but able to apply for the graduate route as long as i have a 2:1 or 1st. But i'm just scared that my GCSE will be enough for them to dismiss my application.
Original post by Tina13
Yes i have checked some universities and i'm not able to go the undergrad route but able to apply for the graduate route as long as i have a 2:1 or 1st. But i'm just scared that my GCSE will be enough for them to dismiss my application.

AH, ok. That a simple one. Have you checked all websites and noted GCSE requirements and emailed to confirm your understanding? I would do that without hesitation.

Then - if any real risk, you have to resit maths and English to get the required grade. Don't fail on a simple requirement - which may also be a requirement for graduate type jobs anyway.
Reply 11
Original post by ajj2000
I've known people who have attended such schools, and taught at them. People don't want to beleive how limiting it is to an education.

Yes and i was a very shy student so i didn't want to stick up for myself and tell them to be quiet because i knew they would pick on me after that. i was already picked on in the first half of year 7.
Original post by Tina13

This advice comes from a non dental/aka an outsider. I would stop blaming external factors and rather focus on ways to improve yourself. At this point, you can't change your previous grades but you can learn from your mistakes to correct yourself. Be positive :smile:

Focus on getting a first and possibly internships along the way. Prepare a great personal statement and any supporting material should be included. When applying, select a range of universities from super/impossible high to lows because admissions is not a straightforward process. You might posses a quality that impresses people there.

When thinking about dentist vs dental hygiene, evaluate your situation.Would you feel better going to a mid low level dental school or working in dental hygiene? Would you perhaps consider options in Europe?

There are so many variables to consider therefore I would post a message the next day after careful evaluation of what you want and what are your options extensively so people can guide you better. As for always, do not lose your hope and take any criticisms constructive. Good luck!
Reply 13
Original post by ajj2000
AH, ok. That a simple one. Have you checked all websites and noted GCSE requirements and emailed to confirm your understanding? I would do that without hesitation.

Then - if any real risk, you have to resit maths and English to get the required grade. Don't fail on a simple requirement - which may also be a requirement for graduate type jobs anyway.

OKay i think i'm going to just take the time to do further research and ask the universities regarding the GSCE and BTEC qualification.

Thank for the help. :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Donutorchid
This advice comes from a non dental/aka an outsider. I would stop blaming external factors and rather focus on ways to improve yourself. At this point, you can't change your previous grades but you can learn from your mistakes to correct yourself. Be positive :smile:

Focus on getting a first and possibly internships along the way. Prepare a great personal statement and any supporting material should be included. When applying, select a range of universities from super/impossible high to lows because admissions is not a straightforward process. You might posses a quality that impresses people there.

When thinking about dentist vs dental hygiene, evaluate your situation.Would you feel better going to a mid low level dental school or working in dental hygiene? Would you perhaps consider options in Europe?

There are so many variables to consider therefore I would post a message the next day after careful evaluation of what you want and what are your options extensively so people can guide you better. As for always, do not lose your hope and take any criticisms constructive. Good luck!

Okay, i'm going to take your advice. Thank you. :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by hasnat614
Well, we can all clearly see your passion to be a dentist. and besides the grades, that the most important thing.
Nothing is ever doomed until you give up.
So keep going, dedicate yourself to your passion and all your dreams will come true.
Good Luck

You don't need luck :smile:

Thank you :smile:.
IMO somebody with C’s at GCSE and a 1st in their degree is a lot more impressive than somebody with A*s across the board and a 1st...
Original post by Kirarater
IMO somebody with C’s at GCSE and a 1st in their degree is a lot more impressive than somebody with A*s across the board and a 1st...

That may well be true, but a lot of courses and jobs select with minimum grades - you need to pass the boundaries. So if they ask - for example - for B's in English and Maths GCSE you need to get these. Its best to find out in plenty of time what the requirements are so you can get the required grades where reasonably possible, and meet work experience requirements etc.
Original post by ajj2000

This. Ofc at the end of the day, our education is our responsibility. However 90+% of the time a better school reflects better grades. This was certainly the case for me, having good teachers helped me change a D to an A and a U to a B within in one year (as well as another two D's into an A & a B).

In order to answer OPs Q.

You can do it, if your grades aren't good enough currently what about a foundation year or a pre-dental course?
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest