The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

History interview for unconditional offer.

I have been invited for a interview at QMUL for the History OPA unconditional offer. I was just wandering if anyone else has been to one and what questions they were asked? Also what should I wear to the interview?
Original post by Alexty28
I have been invited for a interview at QMUL for the History OPA unconditional offer. I was just wandering if anyone else has been to one and what questions they were asked? Also what should I wear to the interview?

I have one for history too! All the other threads about unconditional offers that talk about the interview seem to be for english where they were given a poem or something similar and asked about it - seeing as that would be harder to do for history I’m guessing they will ask about whatever historical periods you spoke about in your personal statement??
Ad for what to wear, the message said the interview is informal and to dress “how you feel most comfortable”
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by c.donnelly
I have one for history too! All the other threads about unconditional offers that talk about the interview seem to be for english where they were given a poem or something similar and asked about it - seeing as that would be harder to do for history I’m guessing they will ask about whatever historical periods you spoke about in your personal statement??
Ad for what to wear, the message said the interview is informal and to dress “how you feel most comfortable”

Yeah I could only find people doing English too. My guess was the same, assuming they ask about my personal statement.
Cheers mate!

I have one for cultural history for the OPA unconditional offer. Was very unexpected and I’d never heard of it before. I’m a bit nervous as it’s quite short notice and I have no idea how to prepare or what they’re going to ask. Does anyone know how many of these they give out or what the success rate is?
Reply 4
I did mine a month ago and it’s more like a chat tbh. Don’t panic, just know which bits of history you like so you can chat about it. They provide lunch then do a lecture or two :-)
I had a history one yesterday; it’s just a chat, everyone is really friendly and it’s quite a relaxed day. They asked me about things I have read so I would recommend having some titles/authors handy that show a range of interests. They gave us some source material to look at in the morning for the seminar but it was all pretty straight forward. Good luck to anyone going for an interview!
Reply 6

From what ive heard from people including freidn who went recently it is a chill day. The interviewer depends on what is in ur personal statement ie if u wrote about russian history, somoene who knows sepcificly about that period will likely interview you. From what i understand its purely personal statement based, so jsut know what is in yours and how to expand on it all. When is ur interview btw, mine is on the 6th feb wednesday.
Reply 7
I had a history one yesterday; it’s just a chat, everyone is really friendly and it’s quite a relaxed day. They asked me about things I have read so I would recommend having some titles/authors handy that show a range of interests. They gave us some source material to look at in the morning for the seminar but it was all pretty straight forward. Good luck to anyone going for an interview!

Sounds good. what dd=id you and others wear. since informal does that mean can wear jeans or not?
lots of people wore jeans yes, but not scruffy looking. Some people were dressed smarter than others; so I wore yellow jeans and a nice jumper, some of the boys there were wearing suit trousers and smart jumpers, some people wore chinos. So long as you look clean cut and respectable just wear what you normally do. “Smasual” (as we call smart casual at my school) is a good guide. Good luck, I’m sure you’ll be fine!
Reply 9
lots of people wore jeans yes, but not scruffy looking. Some people were dressed smarter than others; so I wore yellow jeans and a nice jumper, some of the boys there were wearing suit trousers and smart jumpers, some people wore chinos. So long as you look clean cut and respectable just wear what you normally do. “Smasual” (as we call smart casual at my school) is a good guide. Good luck, I’m sure you’ll be fine!

Thanks appreciate the help, and hopefully will join you at queen mary.
I have mine on the 6th feb too, i’m not really nervous as i suppose we have conditional offers so it’s not like it’s depending if we get an offer or not. i just don’t understand what they’re looking for to offer an unconditional tbh or if they want to give everyone an unconditional, they just have to meet us first. what grades etc have you got/predicted out of curiosity. would be interesting to see if they offer it purely on your personal statements or if it’s grades too :smile:
what was the seminar like? how do they work?
My predicted grades are A*AA and I heard back the day after the interview that I got the unconditional. I think it is that they just want to meet you first, especially as they know a lot of people aren’t applying there as their first choice, so they want people who really love what they want to study and the uni. The seminar was a small group (about 12 of us) and we just went through some of the source material they gave us and spoke about it briefly. It’s all very relaxed, you’ll be fine. Good luck!
Reply 13
Original post by sophieizzyj
I have mine on the 6th feb too, i’m not really nervous as i suppose we have conditional offers so it’s not like it’s depending if we get an offer or not. i just don’t understand what they’re looking for to offer an unconditional tbh or if they want to give everyone an unconditional, they just have to meet us first. what grades etc have you got/predicted out of curiosity. would be interesting to see if they offer it purely on your personal statements or if it’s grades too :smile:

Ayyy I'll see you there on the 6th. Im kinda nervous cuz it an unconditional howver as far as I can tell talking to people its fairly simple and they just want to meet you so they can give the unconditional. My predicted grades are ABB so was surprised I got offered, I think alot of it must have been based on your personal statement.
Reply 14
It was really good, a few hard questions but it felt more like a formal conversation.

Quick Reply