The Student Room Group

No gas while pulling away in a petrol

I've learnt to pull off with gas in a diesel and will probably buy a petrol if I hopefully pass my test but I've seen a lot of people struggling going from diesel to petrol. Like a diesel, could you use just the clutch to move slowly say your in traffic with no gas or will you definitely stall?
In my petrol car if you just used the clutch on its own, you could probably move a bit without stalling if you lift the pedal VERY slowly and there isn't an uphill gradient whatsoever. The way you should really be doing it in a petrol is putting down some gas first, and then slowly lift the clutch. Even if you put down a lot of gas, your car will still only move slowly if you lift the clutch very slowly.
I thought the same as my driving instructor's car is petrol and she taught me to always use the gas. However, my 2008 Vauxhall Corsa is fine with moving off with no gas and is only a 1.2 litre. I guess it depends on the car and how fast you want to move off.
Reply 3
Cheers guys. Its been playing on my mind. So basically it's pretty much the same. Gas then clutch
Some newer cars do it for you. My 2018 Ford Focus will raise the revs when you bring up the clutch.
You will need some throttle when pulling away in any vehicle; pulling away at idle will take much more finer and more prolonged clutch control resulting in additional wholly unnecessary wear to the clutch. You also increase the possibility of stalling by pulling away at idle which could result in an accident if it happens at the wrong time.
I don't know why you would even do it except when manoeuvring in a car park or something.
Depends on the car in question.

I learned in a 1.6L petrol Corsa and that could crawl along in traffic using just the clutch, even in 2nd gear. When you're dealing with smaller petrol engines it's anyone's guess. Some will do it, some will flat out stall. What you most likely won't be able to do is come completely off the clutch and let the car crawl along at idle RPMs. Larger petrols and just about all diesels are capable of this, but I've yet to come across a small petrol that can do this. Hell, a big petrol or a diesel can work its way through the gears without touching the gas pedal at all.

I'm also aware that some cars automatically raise the revs if you just lift the clutch up, so you could get away with it if it's new. I'm pretty sure a lot of newer Fords do this.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by TheMcSame
Depends on the car in question.

I learned in a 1.6L petrol Corsa and that could crawl along in traffic using just the clutch, even in 2nd gear. When you're dealing with smaller petrol engines it's anyone's guess. Some will do it, some will flat out stall. What you most likely won't be able to do is come completely off the clutch and let the car crawl along at idle RPMs. Larger petrols and just about all diesels are capable of this, but I've yet to come across a small petrol that can do this.

I'm also aware that some cars automatically raise the revs if you just lift the clutch up, so you could get away with it if it's new. I'm pretty sure a lot of newer Fords do this.

My 1.2l Hyundai i10 would just about crawl at idle in 1st. My 2018 Focus will raise the revs if you lift the clutch.
I learnt in a Fiesta with an ecoboost engine and you could definitely manoeuvre around in 1st with no gas. I can’t recall it raising the revs as others have mentioned, but it wasn’t something I would’ve have been looking out for.

As others have said, it just depends on the car and the conditions. It was a habit I had to break out of when I bought my first car, but it wasn’t too much bother.
The engine will generally be able to keep the car rolling once it is moving, smaller engines are normally put in smaller, lighter cars. That isn't an issue; but I will say that trying to pull away using no throttle is not going to do your knee or clutch any good.
Reply 11
I learnt in a Peugeot 206 (diesel) and I'm thinking of getting a vauxhall Corsa 2007-9 (petrol). I know your supposed to set revs first but I was just wondering because I don't want to start stalling because I risked it...
I think it depends on the car, I can't just use clutch to get my 1.3 ka to move, I've tried before but it just stalls, even if I'm careful. Your best bet is to always use gas with the clutch anyways because the car will move off quicker.

Quick Reply

Latest