IGCSE Maths Watch

Mark_Ferreira
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, I am doing igcse maths in may/june 2019. We just had our mock exams and i think the paper was the real gcse paper from last year. It was extremely difficult, i had done some quite a few past papers before this of previous years and they were nothing in comparison. Anyone know why the difficulty level for gcse maths has suddenly sky rocketed?
thestudent33
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Mark_Ferreira)
Hi, I am doing igcse maths in may/june 2019. We just had our mock exams and i think the paper was the real gcse paper from last year. It was extremely difficult, i had done some quite a few past papers before this of previous years and they were nothing in comparison. Anyone know why the difficulty level for gcse maths has suddenly sky rocketed?
Probably to keep up with the new reformed maths 9-1 GCSE.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Mark_Ferreira)
Anyone know why the difficulty level for gcse maths has suddenly sky rocketed?
It hasn't sky rocketed. There is always some variability in the difficulty of exams that is adjusted for by changes in grade boundaries. Papers done in exam conditions generally feel much harder than those done in class or at home. When changes are are made to specifications the resulting changes to exam questions can be hard for teachers and students to predict so people are not quite as familiar with how questions are phrased and what examiners are looking for.
Mark_Ferreira
Rep:
?
(Original post by gdunne42)
It hasn't sky rocketed. There is always some variability in the difficulty of exams that is adjusted for by changes in grade boundaries. Papers done in exam conditions generally feel much harder than those done in class or at home. When changes are are made to specifications the resulting changes to exam questions can be hard for teachers and students to predict so people are not quite as familiar with how questions are phrased and what examiners are looking for.
oh ok that makes a lot of sense I guess.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Aayush :)
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Firstly, are you doing Edexcel ?

Secondly, were these the 1H and 2H papers from June 2018 ? Because if so, then yes, I agree, those were legitimately very challenging papers. The 9 boundary was set at 75%, because so few people could cut the last third of the paper.
Mark_Ferreira
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aayush :))
Firstly, are you doing Edexcel ?

Secondly, were these the 1H and 2H papers from June 2018 ? Because if so, then yes, I agree, those were legitimately very challenging papers. The 9 boundary was set at 75%, because so few people could cut the last third of the paper.
yes I am doing edexcel and I am pretty sure they were last year's papers thanks a lot that makes me feel loads better.👍👍
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Life Sciences; Department of Psychology Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (1)
1.43%
No (69)
98.57%

Watched Threads