I'm scared I'm not right for vet med Watch

adriannadrake00
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I have been deciding between vet med and law as a career for the majority of my life. Law was my number one choice until I realised the amount of work I would have to put in so in year 12 I decided to do vet med. I have been doing work experience for the past year and I am taking a gap year (applying this October) but now I am scared that I won't get in. Most vet/vet students have not got in the first time around and I am worried that if I don't get in I won't have the willpower to apply again. I am still doing work experience just in case I change my mind but did anyone else experience this and get in the first time? I enjoyed work experience but I did have to force myself to go every time and I have a feeling that I'm not passionate enough to do vet med and I'm thinking about doing law again. Please help me.
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by adriannadrake00)
I have been deciding between vet med and law as a career for the majority of my life. Law was my number one choice until I realised the amount of work I would have to put in so in year 12 I decided to do vet med.
The workload studying veterinary medicine is comparable to law if not worse!

You can expect lectures/practicals 9-5 most days, compulsory (unpaid) work experience during the holidays, occasional night or on call work and revision at evenings/weekends for the next 5+ years.

If you can't handle that maybe you need to consider a different career

I have been doing work experience for the past year and I am taking a gap year (applying this October) but now I am scared that I won't get in. Most vet/vet students have not got in the first time around and I am worried that if I don't get in I won't have the willpower to apply again.
Why? What is the worst that will happen?

Worst case scenario you take a year out, get plenty of varied work experience, resit any relevant modules, do some voluntary work, polish your extra curricular activities and apply as a significantly stronger applicant.

Presumably you are a smart cookie otherwise you wouldn't be considering law or vet med. All you lose is a little time in the grand scheme of things, doing something that you enjoy (hopefully from a work experience perspective) and reinforce that you are making the right decision.

I enjoyed work experience but I did have to force myself to go every time and I have a feeling that I'm not passionate enough to do vet med and I'm thinking about doing law again. Please help me.
There will always be aspects that you aren't so keen on (eg; cleaning) but you should at least enjoy the vast majority of your work experience.

Get plenty of varied work experience (ie; small animal practice x2 weeks, kennels/cattery x2 weeks, dairy/lambing x2 weeks MINIMUM) and then see how you feel. If you still have your doubts or aren't enjoying 90+% of what you are doing then I would suggest considering a different career.
VMD100
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Knowing people studying law their work load is laughable compared to ours, if you want an easy degree it is neither - but definitely not vet med!
animalmagic
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by adriannadrake00)
I have been deciding between vet med and law as a career for the majority of my life. Law was my number one choice until I realised the amount of work I would have to put in so in year 12 I decided to do vet med. I have been doing work experience for the past year and I am taking a gap year (applying this October) but now I am scared that I won't get in. Most vet/vet students have not got in the first time around and I am worried that if I don't get in I won't have the willpower to apply again. I am still doing work experience just in case I change my mind but did anyone else experience this and get in the first time? I enjoyed work experience but I did have to force myself to go every time and I have a feeling that I'm not passionate enough to do vet med and I'm thinking about doing law again. Please help me.
I know current students doing both law and vet med and the workload of the two courses is not comparable at all, Vet med has vastly more contact hours and vastly more work needing to be done outwith contact hours. The holidays bear no camparison either, vet med involves weeks and weeks of unpaid ems, law students either find a job they want to do in the holidays or apply for a (usually well paid) summer placement scheme. Once graduating presuming you get a decent law degree and apply to a reasonably sized law firm average starting salaries bear no relation either. Vet med circa £30k, law circa £40k. I suspect after a few years law will still wins hands down if you look at average salaries. No one should ever do vet med for the money (although it is possible to earn very highly depending on what path you take). I suggest you do lots of varied work experience, both vet med and law, and then make an informed decision. As ch0c0h01ic says if you are not enjoying most of the vet med wiork experience you do then don't do vet med.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (13)
5.6%
No (219)
94.4%

Watched Threads