teaching applications - changed placement on PGCE Watch

triangle_ba
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi,
I completed my PGCE in July 2018 and am currently applying for jobs, but I am struggling to complete my employment history, as I changed schools during my placement and am struggling to state why i left the placement, without it sounding negative.

I completed my 1st placement fine, even though I had very little mentoring or feedback, but when I got to my 2nd placement, at an outstanding school, my mentor was horrendous (nasty attitude/rude/ undermining me/shouting at me in front of other trainees and pupil's; telling me she would fail me 4 months down the line - to name a few things).
Due to my mentors behaviour and attitude towards me, it caused me bad anxiety and stress at the thought of going in to the school/teaching in front of her and I got to the point of wanting to drop out of the course, because of her (had I had one of the other teachers from the department it would have been different. After having a meeting with the University during the holidays and telling them that unless they moved me placement schools I would quit the course, they changed my placement for the last final 8 weeks of the course.

On application forms some want to know why you quit the placement/job and I am struggling with what to write, regarding why I left the placement/asked to change placement schools, without it looking negative to the school I am apply for.
SarcAndSpark
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Oh, that sounds super difficult! Depending on how much space you have, could you write something like "quality of mentoring and support not deemed sufficient"? That's not a lie (the university presumably agreed there was a problem in order to move you) and I'm sure most schools are aware that mentors vary hugely in quality.

Could you contact your old university tutor for advice?
triangle_ba
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Oh, that sounds super difficult! Depending on how much space you have, could you write something like "quality of mentoring and support not deemed sufficient"? That's not a lie (the university presumably agreed there was a problem in order to move you) and I'm sure most schools are aware that mentors vary hugely in quality.

Could you contact your old university tutor for advice?
Thanks for the advice.
Yeah, the university tutor said it was partly his fault for sending me to that school after the poor mentoring at my first placement, (the department in the 2nd placement school basically expected trainees to be on 'Outstanding' when they arrived to 2nd placement), that me and the mentor clashed (even though I took everything from her sitting down, as not to make the realationship worse by confronting her over it), and I was't getting the support off her to develop my teaching/ meet targets and that the other school would give me the feedback and support to develop my teaching - which it did.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (97)
14.85%
Yes - a food allergy (71)
10.87%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (16)
2.45%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (18)
2.76%
No (451)
69.07%

Watched Threads