Inspector Calls - Gerald Watch

AnxiousNobody
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I need a bit of help with An Inspector Calls question : How does Priestley use Gerald Croft's status to show his ideas about society?
Could you say that he reflects the selfish attitudes of the upper class? 'I didnt feel about her as she felt about me.'
I'm also not sure how to link context with this question.
DaeJP
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What is this question for drama or English
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
DaeJP
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I know the play inside out so I can help if your studying for GCSEs
AnxiousNobody
Rep:
?
(Original post by DaeJP)
What is this question for drama or English
This is for English.
DaeJP
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Alright I’m in year 11 too so I know the stress
DaeJP
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So obvi Gerald is of higher class in this society priestly represents. You could even say he is probably equal or a little higher than mr Birling by obviously his parents seem to have nore of a stable successful business so yes in those times he would be presented as the typical selfish and unreasonable first class at least that’s what the audience thinks. However Gerald is not all as the bad as the typical working class he does have some kind of heart looking after and taking Eva as his mistress but to contradict you could say he probably assumed she was from an middle class due to the fact that he didn’t really get to fully know her and probably only took her in because she was pretty if that makes sense
BillyMic
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Gerald is one of those people that are also prone to change, even though he's a higher class he chooses to accept what he did wrong.
Mariah321
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DaeJP)
So obvi Gerald is of higher class in this society priestly represents. You could even say he is probably equal or a little higher than mr Birling by obviously his parents seem to have nore of a stable successful business so yes in those times he would be presented as the typical selfish and unreasonable first class at least that’s what the audience thinks. However Gerald is not all as the bad as the typical working class he does have some kind of heart looking after and taking Eva as his mistress but to contradict you could say he probably assumed she was from an middle class due to the fact that he didn’t really get to fully know her and probably only took her in because she was pretty if that makes sense
You could also mention the fact that Gerald as an upper class membed of the society still had a part to play in Eva smiths death. So Preistly is basically saying that regardless of your status everyone is still equal in society and has a responsibility of looking out for one anothee
DaeJP
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mariah321)
You could also mention the fact that Gerald as an upper class membed of the society still had a part to play in Eva smiths death. So Preistly is basically saying that regardless of your status everyone is still equal in society and has a responsibility of looking out for one anothee
Yehhh do you know a lot aboutvthe book too
AnxiousNobody
Rep:
?
(Original post by DaeJP)
But this contrasts with what Priestley was trying to convey ( that the younger generation were more likely to change their views than the older generation were) doesn't it? Because even though Gerald is part of the younger generation, his capitalist views do not change throughout the play? He does not take responsibility over his actions.
BillyMic
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
He does take responsibilitydoesn't he?
AnxiousNobody
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mariah321)
Thank you so much.
AnxiousNobody
Rep:
?
(Original post by BillyMic)
He does take responsibilitydoesn't he?
I think some yeah, but not as much as Sheila and Eric do.
BillyMic
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AnxiousNobody)
I think some yeah, but not as much as Sheila and Eric do.
Must be because Gerald seems a bit older compared to Shiela and Eric. Both Shiela and Eric are willing to change finding out their mistakes and wanting to be better people.
ella.n.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
He's higher class and abuses his status but also is part of the younger generation which is more open to change. For context you just need to refer to the class system at the time but it should be more of an underlying part running through the essay rather than a specific section talking about context.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (127)
17.81%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (123)
17.25%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (103)
14.45%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.82%
How can I be the best version of myself? (217)
30.43%

Watched Threads