Does being short affect uni life? Watch

dinodash99
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So, I'm male and 5ft 1 and it doesn't help that I have a baby face which makes me look about 12. I guess 5"1 is okayyy, I just look like a baby????

I have been self-conscious about my height since, well Year 9 I guess, and everyone's okay with it, its just meeting new people which is what is worrying me. I'm worried that I ain't going to make friends because of how I'll be perceived.
ultimateradman
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
don't worry, height is the last thing people care about when making friends.
blackvoid17
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
People are generally more mature at uni so dont worry
blacksheep8
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Only bad friends would ever bully or put you down because of your height.

Sometimes your friends might joke about it without meaning any real harm. In this instance if it's really getting you down, you should talk to them about it by telling them that it's making you feel bad or insecure. If they don't stop, you should stop being friends with them because they don't care about your feelings. If they slip up like forgetting, but then look and say sorry, you can forgive them. But if it happens often, that's not okay and they're probably not very sorry in which case I would personally cut ties.
dinodash99
Rep:
?
(Original post by blacksheep8)
Only bad friends would ever bully or put you down because of your height.

Sometimes your friends might joke about it without meaning any real harm. In this instance if it's really getting you down, you should talk to them about it by telling them that it's making you feel bad or insecure. If they don't stop, you should stop being friends with them because they don't care about your feelings. If they slip up like forgetting, but then look and say sorry, you can forgive them. But if it happens often, that's not okay and they're probably not very sorry in which case I would personally cut ties.
My friends do joke about it (not a lot) and that's fine because most of my friendships are based on just insulting and having a laugh all the time. Its when other people notice and I tend to avoid younger people because they tend to make the most comments. It's not as bad now, I kind of don't give a **** but I kinda still do??
blacksheep8
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by dinodash99)
My friends do joke about it (not a lot) and that's fine because most of my friendships are based on just insulting and having a laugh all the time. Its when other people notice and I tend to avoid younger people because they tend to make the most comments. It's not as bad now, I kind of don't give a **** but I kinda still do??
That's totally understandable. You're allowed to care about it, if you do.

It's not as easy as just talking to someone about how it's making you feel, so sorry for being a bit blasé about it. Seeing as you're talking about uni, I'm guessing you're a sixth form student so you won't be around your friends for that much longer. You should keep in mind what I said because you want to make sure you're around good company, good people, even if this is the goal and it takes years to get there. In the meantime you could wait it out, then look for other types of people in the future. Or, you could practice now by talking to one of your friends about how actually you'd prefer if they stopped calling attention to your height all the time. A lot of people get defensive at this point because they take it as a personal attack, as though you're calling them a bad person for doing that, so it can be really difficult.

It may be worth you doing some research into something known as 'toxic masculinity'. I'll link you to a respectful source (http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Toxic_masculinity), it might help you understand why in your friendship there's a lot of insulting and a general atmosphere that focuses on not taking things too seriously, and why this might make talking about your true feelings a bit scary. The key to remedy this is wide-scale so it's going to take some time, but if you're really unhappy, you can try out talking about your feelings with someone you trust.

All the best
Last edited by blacksheep8; 4 weeks ago
Dannyboy2015
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Eh, nobody will mind. Or at least those that matter won't mind.
randomstudent55
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It could affect you asking girls/guys out.
dinodash99
Rep:
?
(Original post by randomstudent55)
It could affect you asking girls/guys out.
100% hahaha lmao
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by dinodash99)
So, I'm male and 5ft 1 and it doesn't help that I have a baby face which makes me look about 12. I guess 5"1 is okayyy, I just look like a baby????

I have been self-conscious about my height since, well Year 9 I guess, and everyone's okay with it, its just meeting new people which is what is worrying me. I'm worried that I ain't going to make friends because of how I'll be perceived.
No-one will care. I'm 5ft7 and most friends are above 6ft4, and most girls at my uni are taller than me. Sure sometimes it'll feel intimidating, but honestly, no one really cares.
dinodash99
Rep:
?
(Original post by kkboyk)
No-one will care. I'm 5ft7 and most friends are above 6ft4, and most girls at my uni are taller than me. Sure sometimes it'll feel intimidating, but honestly, no one really cares.
I'd kill to be 5ft 7, honestly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.65%
I used to but I don't now (17)
2.41%
No, but I want to start (265)
37.59%
No, I am unable to (167)
23.69%
No, I chose not to (195)
27.66%