No deal option may not be on the 2nd referendum ballot paper Watch

Mister Fantastic
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So if we have a losers vote the option will be Remain and what *****y, cobbled together, pretend deal they all agree to put forward. Surely no deal must be on the ballot if they sanction another vote. If Grieve gets his way and they vote against no deal ever happening it kills the chances of another referendum. Surely they are not that brazen in their despicable plan.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Mister Fantastic)
So if we have a losers vote the option will be Remain and what *****y, cobbled together, pretend deal they all agree to put forward. Surely no deal must be on the ballot if they sanction another vote. If Grieve gets his way and they vote against no deal ever happening it kills the chances of another referendum. Surely they are not that brazen in their despicable plan.
Do you really want to split the leave vote?
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Quady)
If no deal is off the table then remain should also be, after all each and every one of the MP's have been overly concerned by the fact that we don't know what version of brexit we voted for so those options should really be the only one's in the game.
Mister Fantastic
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Quady)
Yep, then have them added together to defeat the option that lost the first time. Also leave starts with a 4% advantage that they won by last time. In-fact it there is another vote we add up both results from both referendums.
LouisTCC
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Let's pray it isn't on the ballot paper.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by LouisTCC)
Let's pray it isn't on the ballot paper.
It really should be because it's closer to the referendum result than remaining
LouisTCC
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
It really should be because it's closer to the referendum result than remaining
I don't think a 52-48 initial result should force us into offering no deal
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't think a 52-48 initial result should force us into offering no deal
It shouldn't give the option to stay in either
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yep, then have them added together to defeat the option that lost the first time. Also leave starts with a 4% advantage that they won by last time. In-fact it there is another vote we add up both results from both referendums.
2%
Yeah, since demographics won't help so much next time around.
LouisTCC
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It shouldn't give the option to stay in either
This is a fairly hefty decision, if people feel they have changed their mind- they should be able to express that.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If no deal is off the table then remain should also be, after all each and every one of the MP's have been overly concerned by the fact that we don't know what version of brexit we voted for so those options should really be the only one's in the game.
Yeah fair do.
I'll vote for the Swiss option.
BasicMistake
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
People seem to forget that it isn't just our choice.

A Hard Brexit/no deal has always been worse for us than for the EU. This has been clear since before the referendum even if Brexiters like to pretend otherwise. "They need us more than we need them" is frankly ridiculous.

Ireland would rather see no deal than compromise on the backstop. Germany has never been particularly threatened by the impacts of no deal. France, despite having the other side of the Dover-Calais border problem, seems to be more prepared for a no deal than we are.

We've rejected May's deal. The EU won't give us a better one. And if the government doesn't call a second referendum, then there's nowhere left to turn.
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Or sub-options.

1. Remain

2. Leave.
i) no deal
ii) May's deal
iii) Summit else

And the choices could be rated. I.e. first choice is 2i, second choice is 2ii; or 2ii and 1.

This won't happen just because the electorate is not intelligent enough to fill out forms, though they supposedly are intelligent enough to understand international trade. But there is a way for a nuanced opinion to be expressed without splitting the Leave vote.
DarthRoar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There wont be another referendum.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This is a fairly hefty decision, if people feel they have changed their mind- they should be able to express that.
Then why wouldn't you allow people to express their opinion if they feel no deal is the best option? That is a slightly hypocritical view.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Quady)
Yeah fair do.
I'll vote for the Swiss option.
That would be your democratic right, to be fair this is probably what should've happened about 2 years ago just before we triggered article 50.
Revolver72
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

I get the point about having all three options, but the problem is that if a referendum isn't binary, then you risk the possibility of no options getting an absolute majority (more than 50%), and given how tense things are currently that would probably just cause more problems than it would solve.

If there is going to be a people's vote, then it has to be Brexit (whatever that may be, crap deal or no deal) vs No Brexit.

By the point at which a referendum was being held, they would know whether the government had opted to choose whatever deal we could negotiate, or whether it was going to be a no-deal Brexit. That defines would 'Brexit' on the ballot paper would represent.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Revolver72)
I get the point about having all three options, but the problem is that if a referendum isn't binary, then you risk the possibility of no options getting an absolute majority (more than 50%), and given how tense things are currently that would probably just cause more problems than it would solve.

If there is going to be a people's vote, then it has to be Brexit (whatever that may be, crap deal or no deal) vs No Brexit.

By the point at which a referendum was being held, they would know whether the government had opted to choose whatever deal we could negotiate, or whether it was going to be a no-deal Brexit. That defines would 'Brexit' on the ballot paper would represent.
However you could quite easily say that unless remain gets over 50% of the vote then you go for the highest percentage of the leave options.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Brilliant! So because our elected politicians have not tried to implement what we asked for. The minority conspire a fictional story that people have changed their minds and therefore must have a say, however they actually know that they are talking complete politically motivated rubbish and nothing of the sort has happened. Therefore to overthrow democracy the majority must be split to give the minority the advantage.

That about summed up this 'people's' vote. We don't need another vote, it will solve nothing and if we were to have one it should be a simple - deal on table or no deal. Nothing else would help the country only add furher damage
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
Brilliant! So because our elected politicians have not tried to implement what we asked for. The minority conspire a fictional story that people have changed their minds and therefore must have a say, however they actually know that they are talking complete politically motivated rubbish and nothing of the sort has happened. Therefore to overthrow democracy the majority must be split to give the minority the advantage.

That about summed up this 'people's' vote. We don't need another vote, it will solve nothing and if we were to have one it should be a simple - deal on table or no deal. Nothing else would help the country only add furher damage
Sounds about right to me, then spout on about democracy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (97)
14.85%
Yes - a food allergy (71)
10.87%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (16)
2.45%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (18)
2.76%
No (451)
69.07%

Watched Threads