The Student Room Group

Leaving career behind for Uni - Help & advice needed

Dear all,

I wonder if you kind people can provide me some help, guidance and tips.

I am a 38 year old Police Officer, who has been in the Police since 2002, prior to that I was in full time employment since the age of 17.
I have not been happy in my career for the past 4-5 years for several reasons such as constant changes, lack of funding, constant postings, constant shift working, negative working environment and the daily impact on my personal life that all of this brings along with several other negative issues (too many to name).

Every year I always comment to myself "I wish I'd gone to Uni" so I could have more options. This year I feel the time may be right to take that leap of faith and start on the path to teaching.

In the Police, I currently teach the Special constables in my spare time which is where I got the teaching bug from when I first started it 5 years ago. In 2017 I took an evening course at a local college and obtained a Diploma (Distinction) in Level Education and Teaching which allows me to teach at college level however what I'd really like to do is teach in a secondary school but of course you need a degree to do that and I don't have one.

I recently attended an open day at my local university and they suggested I come along to a free 12 week return to learning course starting in February which will provide a basic overview of studying at Uni and provide introductions into some of the main subjects. I have managed to narrow down my subjects of interest to Modern History & Politics, English and Meteorology. The course will also give me an insight into uni life and may answer a few more questions.

The point of this post is to get some views and opinions of people who have been in similar position to me and have left a full time career, took the pay drop and have returned to university. My main areas of concern and worry are not the study or adapting to uni life, but more along the lines of finances as I have a mortgage to pay along with bills, commuting and general living. I am aware that I am entitled to the student loans/maintenance/bursaries but this is considerably less than what I earn now so would be a shock to the system.

Can anyone help with these areas of concern and advise me?

1) How did you cope with leaving a full time job after so many years with the regular income and security it provided?
2) How did you support yourself through Uni?
3) Did you have any regrets after leaving?
4) Was the Uni experience a breath of fresh air?
5) Do you worry about the student debt?
6) Will part time working be enough to support me through? (I am fully prepared to work longer hours either on site at Uni or elsewhere).

These are just some of the questions going through my mind which I can't seem to get out of my head. Clearly this comes down to finances mainly. For info, I have no worries or concerns about adapting to Uni life, meeting new people, getting on with the study etc - my concerns are mainly financial and taking the leap from a full time to career to the unknown.

Obviously leaving the Police after such a long time is a big decision but it's now having a real negative impact on me both in and out of work and I generally feel the time is right now to make some changes to my life for the better and I feel uni may be the way forward in order to secure a better future in education and learning.

Any responses positive or negative are welcome. Always happy to respond with any answers if you have further questions you want me to clarify.

Thanks in advance.
Hi, I started uni last September after completing an access to social sciences course, am currently studying history and philosophy. I have two young kids and a mortgage. I was the main earner and my husband a stay at home Dad, who worked the occasional weekend shift. it was a scary thought at first but I hated my job (a well paid job) and was unhappy. I sat down and worked out all our outgoings and the. worked out incomings if I left, luckily my husband went full time in his occasional weekend job but it was for a lot less than what I had been taking home.
1. in the end we have coped ok. We can't spend how we used to and we are still getting used to a smaller income, but we are making it work. We are both happier though, my husband likes his work well enough and I love uni. It is worth it.
2. Right now I am lucky, my husband works full time and I qualified for maintenance loan and a bursary at uni, I am on child tax credits but when we are transferred to universal credit we won't have that income anymore, by then my youngest will be in primary and if need be will get a part time job (however both of us agree that with his shift work, uni work and two young kids we will try to survive without me doing that, maybe only over the summer).
3.Honestly, I have never looked back. Best decision I have made.
4. Yes, it's been so different and a great experience. I have learnt loads already and looking forward to rest of degree.
5. No. I am in Scotland and my fees are paid, it's just the living loan (6750py). It's not like other debt. You only pay back when you earn over a certain amount and it's only a percentage of what you earn (21k and 9%, I think, would have to check). Also you only pay up to pension age and then the rest is 'written off' (for want of a better term.
6. This is not something I have had to worry about yet, however I know other students on my college course who are now at uni who have managed financially with uni loan and working part time. It depends on your outgoings compared to your incomings, but we have managed on a lot less since I quit my job. We all go without the little extra things and honestly none of us notice it so much, it forced as to different things from food to days out etc. It's doable if you really want this.
Good luck, I don't think you will have any regrets.
Reply 2
Thanks rosemadder for taking the time to respond to my post. Really helpful advice and makes me feel a bit better about the decision.

Wishing you all the best with your career !

Original post by rosemadder
Hi, I started uni last September after completing an access to social sciences course, am currently studying history and philosophy. I have two young kids and a mortgage. I was the main earner and my husband a stay at home Dad, who worked the occasional weekend shift. it was a scary thought at first but I hated my job (a well paid job) and was unhappy. I sat down and worked out all our outgoings and the. worked out incomings if I left, luckily my husband went full time in his occasional weekend job but it was for a lot less than what I had been taking home.
1. in the end we have coped ok. We can't spend how we used to and we are still getting used to a smaller income, but we are making it work. We are both happier though, my husband likes his work well enough and I love uni. It is worth it.
2. Right now I am lucky, my husband works full time and I qualified for maintenance loan and a bursary at uni, I am on child tax credits but when we are transferred to universal credit we won't have that income anymore, by then my youngest will be in primary and if need be will get a part time job (however both of us agree that with his shift work, uni work and two young kids we will try to survive without me doing that, maybe only over the summer).
3.Honestly, I have never looked back. Best decision I have made.
4. Yes, it's been so different and a great experience. I have learnt loads already and looking forward to rest of degree.
5. No. I am in Scotland and my fees are paid, it's just the living loan (6750py). It's not like other debt. You only pay back when you earn over a certain amount and it's only a percentage of what you earn (21k and 9%, I think, would have to check). Also you only pay up to pension age and then the rest is 'written off' (for want of a better term.
6. This is not something I have had to worry about yet, however I know other students on my college course who are now at uni who have managed financially with uni loan and working part time. It depends on your outgoings compared to your incomings, but we have managed on a lot less since I quit my job. We all go without the little extra things and honestly none of us notice it so much, it forced as to different things from food to days out etc. It's doable if you really want this.
Good luck, I don't think you will have any regrets.
Original post by Rustler14
Dear all,

I wonder if you kind people can provide me some help, guidance and tips.

I am a 38 year old Police Officer, who has been in the Police since 2002, prior to that I was in full time employment since the age of 17.
I have not been happy in my career for the past 4-5 years for several reasons such as constant changes, lack of funding, constant postings, constant shift working, negative working environment and the daily impact on my personal life that all of this brings along with several other negative issues (too many to name).

Every year I always comment to myself "I wish I'd gone to Uni" so I could have more options. This year I feel the time may be right to take that leap of faith and start on the path to teaching.

In the Police, I currently teach the Special constables in my spare time which is where I got the teaching bug from when I first started it 5 years ago. In 2017 I took an evening course at a local college and obtained a Diploma (Distinction) in Level Education and Teaching which allows me to teach at college level however what I'd really like to do is teach in a secondary school but of course you need a degree to do that and I don't have one.

I recently attended an open day at my local university and they suggested I come along to a free 12 week return to learning course starting in February which will provide a basic overview of studying at Uni and provide introductions into some of the main subjects. I have managed to narrow down my subjects of interest to Modern History & Politics, English and Meteorology. The course will also give me an insight into uni life and may answer a few more questions.

The point of this post is to get some views and opinions of people who have been in similar position to me and have left a full time career, took the pay drop and have returned to university. My main areas of concern and worry are not the study or adapting to uni life, but more along the lines of finances as I have a mortgage to pay along with bills, commuting and general living. I am aware that I am entitled to the student loans/maintenance/bursaries but this is considerably less than what I earn now so would be a shock to the system.

Can anyone help with these areas of concern and advise me?

1) How did you cope with leaving a full time job after so many years with the regular income and security it provided?
6) Will part time working be enough to support me through? (I am fully prepared to work longer hours either on site at Uni or elsewhere).

These are just some of the questions going through my mind which I can't seem to get out of my head. Clearly this comes down to finances mainly. For info, I have no worries or concerns about adapting to Uni life, meeting new people, getting on with the study etc - my concerns are mainly financial and taking the leap from a full time to career to the unknown.

Obviously leaving the Police after such a long time is a big decision but it's now having a real negative impact on me both in and out of work and I generally feel the time is right now to make some changes to my life for the better and I feel uni may be the way forward in order to secure a better future in education and learning.

Any responses positive or negative are welcome. Always happy to respond with any answers if you have further questions you want me to clarify.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Rustler14

My name is Dominic and I am a former student, one with many close friends and colleges who were former mature students. Firstly, the response by rosemadder is very useful and I would definitely take notes. To answer some of your questions I will bullet point my responses:

1) Student Debts: One of my biggest concerns as a former student is how student finance has been marketed in recent years. The so-called debt is more similar to an additional tax rather than a debt that you can accumulate from banks. Firstly, the amount that you borrow is irrelevant to how much you pay back. The payment plan is fixed to how much you earn rather than how much you borrowed. Furthermore, the student finance tax (9%) will only be applied to anything you earn over £25,000. I have linked Studnet Finance would explain this in more detail.

2) A part-time study is always an option. Though it is over 6 years it will allow you to stay in fulltime employment.

3) If you would like to study full-time you can always get a part-time job. Most universities employ students to fulfil a variety of roles around campus. As a typical week consists of approximately 24 hours for studying and attending lectures there is plenty of room to be employed parttime.

4) Starting a new chapter in life can be scary. However, after speaking to many mature students it was clear that they needed to start anew. Alternatively, if you find after starting university that it is not for you, you can always quit. Though it is not ideal, you will not be punished financially for it. Over a year, students loans are paid in three instalments. If by Christmas you realise that university isn't for you, you would only be expected to repay the amount of money you borrowed, at the rates that I discussed earlier.

I hope that I was helpful. Good luck for the future whatever it brings you.

Kind Regards,
Dom Spowart
Reply 4
Thanks Dominic for your response, in particular your comments about finances. I need all the help and advice I can get so I really do appreciate this as thats the main sticking point for me. If i can earn enough money to support my daily living etc then I think the actual study/University bit will be fine.
Thanks again,

Regards

(Original post by Liverpool Hope University)Hi Rustler14

My name is Dominic and I am a former student, one with many close friends and colleges who were former mature students. Firstly, the response by rosemadder is very useful and I would definitely take notes. To answer some of your questions I will bullet point my responses:

1) Student Debts: One of my biggest concerns as a former student is how student finance has been marketed in recent years. The so-called debt is more similar to an additional tax rather than a debt that you can accumulate from banks. Firstly, the amount that you borrow is irrelevant to how much you pay back. The payment plan is fixed to how much you earn rather than how much you borrowed. Furthermore, the student finance tax (9%) will only be applied to anything you earn over £25,000. I have linked Studnet Finance would explain this in more detail.

2) A part-time study is always an option. Though it is over 6 years it will allow you to stay in fulltime employment.

3) If you would like to study full-time you can always get a part-time job. Most universities employ students to fulfil a variety of roles around campus. As a typical week consists of approximately 24 hours for studying and attending lectures there is plenty of room to be employed parttime.

4) Starting a new chapter in life can be scary. However, after speaking to many mature students it was clear that they needed to start anew. Alternatively, if you find after starting university that it is not for you, you can always quit. Though it is not ideal, you will not be punished financially for it. Over a year, students loans are paid in three instalments. If by Christmas you realise that university isn't for you, you would only be expected to repay the amount of money you borrowed, at the rates that I discussed earlier.

I hope that I was helpful. Good luck for the future whatever it brings you.

Kind Regards,
Dom Spowart
Reply 5
So I started 3 years ago switching from finance to civil engineering. I’m nearly at the end now so I can share what I went through over the course of the degree.

1)
It was strange at first not going through the daily routine, but I had planned everything down to the last detail. Measurable, Timely and Achievable objectives. I have three properties which are mortgaged and it’s been crucial that I keep on top with having them occupied and rented and they just about pay for themselves. You really need to plan every cost out down to the T.

2)
I budgeted quite tightly, set myself a limit of £1k a month for living expenses and sundries. I was eligible for tuition as I didn’t go the first time around either. However even being relatively asset rich, there is no way I could be going on holiday or eating out every week.

3)
No regrets about leaving at all, 100% convinced I’ve made the right choice to do something I’m passionate about.

4)
Absolutely, I look forward to getting back to lectures as it’s a chance to learn something new and upskill myself.

5)
Not at all, the payback amount is largely insignificant. You have the option to pay it off early, but I will treat it as a graduate tax.

6)

As above, I barely spend £100 a week in London on food and travel. £4000-£5000 a year should be more than enough for yourself, then you just add your other financial commitments (such as bills and mortgage) to get a total figure. One of the main reasons it’s so low is that as a a mature student, it’s likely you’ll be studying a lot and you actually find won’t have time to spend money! If you could get a part time job in the office which pays relatively well i don’t think you’d have to work too many hours to cover. Then of course you also have access to the loans.

Take the plunge and don’t be afraid but definitely be sure and apply yourself to your studies. I find the other mature students at my uni have a superb work ethic when it comes to the degree and I imagine the same will be for you, so you’ll succeed.
Reply 6
Moments,

Thank you for posting a response to my post. Your comments and support really are very much appreciated. As I mention in previous responses the financial side of it is my main concern but you have managed to answer a few of those concerns in your comprehensive answer.
Thanks for sharing.

(Original post by Moments)So I started 3 years ago switching from finance to civil engineering. I’m nearly at the end now so I can share what I went through over the course of the degree.

1)
It was strange at first not going through the daily routine, but I had planned everything down to the last detail. Measurable, Timely and Achievable objectives. I have three properties which are mortgaged and it’s been crucial that I keep on top with having them occupied and rented and they just about pay for themselves. You really need to plan every cost out down to the T.

2)
I budgeted quite tightly, set myself a limit of £1k a month for living expenses and sundries. I was eligible for tuition as I didn’t go the first time around either. However even being relatively asset rich, there is no way I could be going on holiday or eating out every week.

3)
No regrets about leaving at all, 100% convinced I’ve made the right choice to do something I’m passionate about.

4)
Absolutely, I look forward to getting back to lectures as it’s a chance to learn something new and upskill myself.

5)
Not at all, the payback amount is largely insignificant. You have the option to pay it off early, but I will treat it as a graduate tax.

6)

As above, I barely spend £100 a week in London on food and travel. £4000-£5000 a year should be more than enough for yourself, then you just add your other financial commitments (such as bills and mortgage) to get a total figure. One of the main reasons it’s so low is that as a a mature student, it’s likely you’ll be studying a lot and you actually find won’t have time to spend money! If you could get a part time job in the office which pays relatively well i don’t think you’d have to work too many hours to cover. Then of course you also have access to the loans.

Take the plunge and don’t be afraid but definitely be sure and apply yourself to your studies. I find the other mature students at my uni have a superb work ethic when it comes to the degree and I imagine the same will be for you, so you’ll succeed.
Original post by Liverpool Hope University

Hi Dom,

Have you already started to pay your student debt? Im in the first year as a mature student and this is where I'm confused. I was told recently that the interest rates are actually much higher than the 9% fee that's normally stated on SFE. So, for example, someone who has had a 60k loan (tuition+maintenance) and is now earning 30k/year actually pays about £150 or even £200 - can't remember exactly but it was definitely way higher than the 9% of 30k...other people also said they pay between £150-250 a month so I'm worried now how much it really is? Because ultimately we may earn same as before the degree after paying all that amount. I asked SFE but they didn't reply specifically, only gave me link to their website.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
@Rustler14 Feel free to drop me a PM mate. I joined in 07 and am now a full-time student. I sorted out a FWA with the job so I work weekends as per our shift pattern, Xmas and Summer. Something to consider. As for your questions:

My FWA only reduced my hours by 50%. If you are top whack PC, its still a decent amount.. You are entitled to the student loan, maintenance loan.. I manage to commute to Uni, pay my mortgage and live. Obviously, if you are intending to 'leave, leave' then you are likely going to need to supplement your income from the maintenance loan (which is 11k at most if you are living outside London, studying in London. It varies based on a number of factors). Bottom line - Im not on the breadline.

As above. Look into a FWA at work. I made it work for me.

Although I havent technically left so this question doesnt quite apply, I have no regrets. One thing i'd say 'leaving, leaving' would do is more than likely focus you on your new career path. You know the job, they make it seem like there is nothing else out there for you. There is.

Its hard. Very, Very hard. Honestly, going back to work is like a day off for me, as opposed to managing all my readings, class work, essay etc. Dont underestimate it i'd say.

There is some stat that you only actually pay off your student debt if you are able to hit around £60k+ salary for X years. Therefore the interest rate doesn't matter. Im honestly not worried.

Yes, but, depending on how onerous your course is, you may need to limit the amount you work. Honestly, working 1 weekend in 3, on those weekends I get severely behind on my studying and its very awkward.

As I said, drop me a PM or message here if you have specific questions.
Original post by italcactus
Hi Dom,

Have you already started to pay your student debt? Im in the first year as a mature student and this is where I'm confused. I was told recently that the interest rates are actually much higher than the 9% fee that's normally stated on SFE. So, for example, someone who has had a 60k loan (tuition+maintenance) and is now earning 30k/year actually pays about £150 or even £200 - can't remember exactly but it was definitely way higher than the 9% of 30k...other people also said they pay between £150-250 a month so I'm worried now how much it really is? Because ultimately we may earn same as before the degree after paying all that amount. I asked SFE but they didn't reply specifically, only gave me link to their website.

I think you are getting confused between interest and repayments. The interest rates are stupidly high (that's the £150-£200 your friends are talking about) but that just gets added onto the amount you owe. Your actual repayments will be 9% of anything you earn over £25k pa. For instance, if you earn £26K your annual repayment will be 9% of £1000 = £90.
Original post by Schadenfreude65
I think you are getting confused between interest and repayments. The interest rates are stupidly high (that's the £150-£200 your friends are talking about) but that just gets added onto the amount you owe. Your actual repayments will be 9% of anything you earn over £25k pa. For instance, if you earn £26K your annual repayment will be 9% of £1000 = £90.

Right...but if we don't pay the interest then why is it added at all? Does it serve any purpose and do we pay interest at any timepoint?
Original post by italcactus
Right...but if we don't pay the interest then why is it added at all? Does it serve any purpose and do we pay interest at any timepoint?

If you earn enough, you will pay it back before the 30 years is up. Consider it an additional tax on top of the graduate tax for getting a decent job.

I believe the break even point is around £60k pa before you actually start paying it down.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Moments
If you earn enough, you will pay it back before the 30 years is up. Consider it an additional tax on top of the graduate tax for getting a decent job.

I believe the break even point is around £60k pa before you actually start paying it down.

Thank you, that should clarify it 😊
I am 38 also I have been a butcher for the past 15 years I took the plunge last year to take an Access course in biology, physics, chemistry before hand I couldn't even add or multiply (basic maths), I can honestly say going back as a mature adult was the best decision of my life I ended up getting overall mark of 75% which allowed me to apply for the course I wanted (cardiac physiology), I have just got an unconditional offer for September,,the way I am working my money for.mortage is to stay working part time as a butcher as my course is only 3 days aweek, can you not be a part time police officer and study at same time ?
Original post by Billytheking777
I am 38 also I have been a butcher for the past 15 years I took the plunge last year to take an Access course in biology, physics, chemistry before hand I couldn't even add or multiply (basic maths), I can honestly say going back as a mature adult was the best decision of my life I ended up getting overall mark of 75% which allowed me to apply for the course I wanted (cardiac physiology), I have just got an unconditional offer for September,,the way I am working my money for.mortage is to stay working part time as a butcher as my course is only 3 days aweek, can you not be a part time police officer and study at same time ?

Hey - well done you! I did an evening degree at Birkbeck whilst working full time and with a young child. I was in my 30s by the time I finished - but a great thing to do although I wish I had worked harder at school and had the full uni experience
Reply 15
Original post by Billytheking777

Hi Billtheking777

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Your positive response is really helpful and quite timely as I initially discarded working part time in the Police as I just wanted out and to start a fresh, however the more I think about it I may be best to hold out for another 3 years and work part time like yourself and use it to my advantage (depending on what post they offer me). I didn't want to be tied to the Police whilst I was at Uni but to be honest I do need the money to support my self through Uni otherwise it may be a bleak experience :frown: I take fully on board what you say and I think you may be right. I also note the success you have had and the fact you mention you have no regrets which is very positive to hear :smile:Thanks again !!
I have no advice for you here, but wanted to congratulate you on your impending escape from full time policing!
Also to let you know you're not alone, I am 31 and have worked in policing (PCSO not PC, so not to your level) for 10 years and have similarly had enough. I studied an Access course last year and am taking the plunge and in the process of applying for Primary Education at NTU. It'll be difficult financially, but I have no doubt it is achievable somehow, families are easily adaptable when they need to be. Especially when the result being you're happiness levels increasing at the end of it, it'll all be completely worthwhile. Don't be disheartened, you can do it! 😁
Reply 17
Original post by L.Michie
I have no advice for you here, but wanted to congratulate you on your impending escape from full time policing!
Also to let you know you're not alone, I am 31 and have worked in policing (PCSO not PC, so not to your level) for 10 years and have similarly had enough. I studied an Access course last year and am taking the plunge and in the process of applying for Primary Education at NTU. It'll be difficult financially, but I have no doubt it is achievable somehow, families are easily adaptable when they need to be. Especially when the result being you're happiness levels increasing at the end of it, it'll all be completely worthwhile. Don't be disheartened, you can do it! 😁

Hi L Michie

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

We may be in different roles but I’m confident in saying we feel the same for similar reasons ! Probably best I don’t list them all on here (I’d run out of space and time to type them all).

I often read posts from officers and staff disillusioned by it all and starting a fresh so I thought this year I’d do the same and build a new path. You would clearly understand all of the reasoning behind it and at the same time get why the decision / leap into the unnknown is so difficult for people like us to make so thank you you for posting your comments as they really give me the positivity to push forward and make the change .

Hope everything goes well for you in primary education !!

Regards

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending