The Student Room Group

I make Artificial Intelligence - ama

I have been a long-time reader of TSR but never posted, until now!

There's been a lot of talk about AI in the news. From self-driving cars to chatbots that can diagnose your illnesses better than a doctor - AI is a very hot topic. I am one of the engineers on the front line of this revolution. Thought it would be interesting to have this AMA.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How far are we from creating something similar to human brain.
you joined this month, that's hardly long
Original post by Rainfall
you joined this month, that's hardly long

I used to browse through TSR a year before I made this account.
Original post by trainingset

There's been a lot of talk about AI in the news. From self-driving cars to chatbots that can diagnose your illnesses better than a doctor - AI is a very hot topic. I am one of the engineers on the front line of this revolution. Thought it would be interesting to have this AMA.

Thanks for your time :smile: What's the money like in AI?
Any sort of link to the medical world?
If AI takes over the world, would it let coders and engineers live since they created AI in the first place? :lol:
Reply 6
what kind of did degree did you do and how did you get into the world of AI or jobs related to it?
Reply 7
Original post by Edcrown
How far are we from creating something similar to human brain.

Extremely far away. I’d say within the next 5-10 years we will only be able to do things that humans can already do easily, without utilizing much intelligence - eg recognize faces, understand simple linear speech, drive cars. I don’t think we will ever create intelligence that can “out think” a human at tasks such complex problem solving or being funny. We will start to see more tools that exceed human performance at well-defined tasks such as playing games like Go or reading medical images become more prevalent in day to day life.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Both really. Tensorflow is important when I can’t use a higher level DL library to do what I want (eg keras). Scikit-learn is a data scientist’s bread and butter - it’s useful for everything - from building simple models to creating summary statistics.
Reply 9
Extremely far away. I’d say within the next 5-10 years we will only be able to do things that humans can already do easily, without utilizing much intelligence - eg recognize faces, understand simple linear speech, drive cars. I don’t think we will ever create intelligence that can “out think” a human at tasks such complex problem solving or being funny. We will start to see more tools that exceed human performance at well-defined tasks such as playing games like Go or reading medical images become more prevalent in day to day life.

? face recognition, self-driving cars, speech recognition, beating the world go champion, and interpreting medical images are already happening.

what would you say is the most accurate/your favourite depiction of AI in popular culture?
Reply 11
I didn't say any of them are the finished product, but they are certainly broadly used.

And correct me if I'm wrong but the accident rate for self-driving cars is lower than "normal" cars.
Original post by Infinite Series
I used to browse through TSR a year before I made this account.

Thanks for your time :smile: What's the money like in AI?

Depends on a lot of factors:
Qualifications,
pedigree of the company,
type of company (startup vs corproate vs public sector vs big 5),

Assuming we're talking about a machine learning scientist / engineer or not a 'data analyst':

Post Masters, working in London: £45k +
Post PhD, working in London: £60k +

Post Masters, working on the East Coast of the US: $90k+ (£70k)
Post PhD, working on the East Coast of the US: $110k+ (£90k)

Post Masters, working on the West Coast of the US: $120k+ (£95k)
Post PhD, working on the West Coast of the US: $150k+ (£120k)

These are minimum values, first year, for someone graduating from a top tier program. There are lots of caveats:

Fintech / Investment management will always pay more than Healthcare
DeepMind will always pay more than Big Oil and they will always pay more than the public sector

Director of ML positions at start ups will pay £120k+ / $150k+ all day long if the company is reasoanbly well funded.
It is not unheard of for people working at DeepMind to make over $250k and some people in finance to be making clsoer to $500k. If you've got skills that other data scientists do not have, you are like golddust.
Original post by RickHendricks
Any sort of link to the medical world?

No but I have had plenty of exposure to medical image analysis. Its a big thing in Oxford.
Fascinating, do you think AI will further develop in the Military and it what ways?
If the natural world produced us, should we not attempt to mimick the same open ended mechanisms if we want to develop true general intelligence?

Also how would, if at all, quantum computation affect AI?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by DedicatedWizard
If AI takes over the world, would it let coders and engineers live since they created AI in the first place? :lol:

Depends on whether or not they planted the right easter eggs :wink:

But really - there is a great leap to move from the carefully developed and coreographed AI we currently have and a type of general intelligence which is autonomus and has motives.
Original post by Svesh
what kind of did degree did you do and how did you get into the world of AI or jobs related to it?

Computer science degree and then a masters with some more courses in ML.
Its actually fairly easy to get into - just do a science / maths / engineering degree and then a Masters in ML.
Its just a mix between software engineering and statistics. Thats how I think about it anyway.
Trust a future legal beagle to ask an ethics question :lol:
Have you ever thought about making any real intelligence?:pierre:
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest