I make Artificial Intelligence - ama Watch

trainingset
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I have been a long-time reader of TSR but never posted, until now!

There's been a lot of talk about AI in the news. From self-driving cars to chatbots that can diagnose your illnesses better than a doctor - AI is a very hot topic. I am one of the engineers on the front line of this revolution. Thought it would be interesting to have this AMA.
Edcrown
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
How far are we from creating something similar to human brain.
ltsmith
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
tensorflow vs scikit-learn?
Rainfall
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
you joined this month, that's hardly long
Infinite Series
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Rainfall)
you joined this month, that's hardly long
I used to browse through TSR a year before I made this account.
(Original post by trainingset)

There's been a lot of talk about AI in the news. From self-driving cars to chatbots that can diagnose your illnesses better than a doctor - AI is a very hot topic. I am one of the engineers on the front line of this revolution. Thought it would be interesting to have this AMA.
Thanks for your time What's the money like in AI?
RickHendricks
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Any sort of link to the medical world?
DedicatedWizard
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If AI takes over the world, would it let coders and engineers live since they created AI in the first place? :lol:
Svesh
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
what kind of did degree did you do and how did you get into the world of AI or jobs related to it?
trainingset
Rep:
?
(Original post by Edcrown)
How far are we from creating something similar to human brain.
Extremely far away. I’d say within the next 5-10 years we will only be able to do things that humans can already do easily, without utilizing much intelligence - eg recognize faces, understand simple linear speech, drive cars. I don’t think we will ever create intelligence that can “out think” a human at tasks such complex problem solving or being funny. We will start to see more tools that exceed human performance at well-defined tasks such as playing games like Go or reading medical images become more prevalent in day to day life.
Last edited by trainingset; 4 weeks ago
trainingset
Rep:
?
(Original post by ltsmith)
tensorflow vs scikit-learn?
Both really. Tensorflow is important when I can’t use a higher level DL library to do what I want (eg keras). Scikit-learn is a data scientist’s bread and butter - it’s useful for everything - from building simple models to creating summary statistics.
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Extremely far away. I’d say within the next 5-10 years we will only be able to do things that humans can already do easily, without utilizing much intelligence - eg recognize faces, understand simple linear speech, drive cars. I don’t think we will ever create intelligence that can “out think” a human at tasks such complex problem solving or being funny. We will start to see more tools that exceed human performance at well-defined tasks such as playing games like Go or reading medical images become more prevalent in day to day life.
? face recognition, self-driving cars, speech recognition, beating the world go champion, and interpreting medical images are already happening.
ltsmith
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
? face recognition, self-driving cars, speech recognition, beating the world go champion, and interpreting medical images are already happening.
face recognition isn't very good right now. it's insecure and someone who looks similar to you could unlock your phone.

there have been too many accidents with self-driving cars. the software needs significant improvement before it becomes mainstream.
CollectiveSoul
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

what would you say is the most accurate/your favourite depiction of AI in popular culture?
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ltsmith)
face recognition isn't very good right now. it's insecure and someone who looks similar to you could unlock your phone.

there have been too many accidents with self-driving cars. the software needs significant improvement before it becomes mainstream.
I didn't say any of them are the finished product, but they are certainly broadly used.

And correct me if I'm wrong but the accident rate for self-driving cars is lower than "normal" cars.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Do you think the stuff Sophia (the robot) says is pre-programmed?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Lady Jamie
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This might be a push but could u comment on the potential ethical implications? Ofc currently everything is quite superficial, but what if the system gets more ‘life-like’ and crosses the line between AI and artificial conscienceness? When it is advanced and complex enough for the machine to actually ‘feel’ emotions. Would we ever face a time where people might begin to evaluate their rights?

Okay it’s 12am and I have no idea what I’m talking about lol. Need to stop binge watching Humans.
Last edited by Lady Jamie; 4 weeks ago
trainingset
Rep:
?
(Original post by Infinite Series)
I used to browse through TSR a year before I made this account.

Thanks for your time What's the money like in AI?
Depends on a lot of factors:
Qualifications,
pedigree of the company,
type of company (startup vs corproate vs public sector vs big 5),

Assuming we're talking about a machine learning scientist / engineer or not a 'data analyst':

Post Masters, working in London: £45k +
Post PhD, working in London: £60k +

Post Masters, working on the East Coast of the US: $90k+ (£70k)
Post PhD, working on the East Coast of the US: $110k+ (£90k)

Post Masters, working on the West Coast of the US: $120k+ (£95k)
Post PhD, working on the West Coast of the US: $150k+ (£120k)

These are minimum values, first year, for someone graduating from a top tier program. There are lots of caveats:

Fintech / Investment management will always pay more than Healthcare
DeepMind will always pay more than Big Oil and they will always pay more than the public sector

Director of ML positions at start ups will pay £120k+ / $150k+ all day long if the company is reasoanbly well funded.
It is not unheard of for people working at DeepMind to make over $250k and some people in finance to be making clsoer to $500k. If you've got skills that other data scientists do not have, you are like golddust.
trainingset
Rep:
?
(Original post by RickHendricks)
Any sort of link to the medical world?
No but I have had plenty of exposure to medical image analysis. Its a big thing in Oxford.
TheNamesBond.
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Fascinating, do you think AI will further develop in the Military and it what ways?
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If the natural world produced us, should we not attempt to mimick the same open ended mechanisms if we want to develop true general intelligence?

Also how would, if at all, quantum computation affect AI?
Last edited by ChaoticButterfly; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (7)
11.29%
Yes - a food allergy (5)
8.06%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (3)
4.84%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (4)
6.45%
No (43)
69.35%

Watched Threads