idacraw
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
i’m grade 5 trumpet and i’m being recommended to do music . however,i feel like the gcse will stress me out so badddd. and i hate theory . but i’m good at reading music and playing it.

on the other hand , i’d probably get lower in art but it sounds fun to fill in a
sketch book.
help. me . pls.
Asclepius.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you don't particularly enjoy a subject then I would suggest you don't do it.

On the other hand, I did GCSE art and there is a misconception that it is a really easy subject,
while the lessons aren't particularly demanding, you have to work hard to get a good final grade so I wouldn't recommend you picking art just because you think it is an easy subject.
idacraw
Rep:
?
honestly it’s the opposite for me , i feel as if i will be bad at it . but it sounds fun.
while music sounds slightly more boring yet i’m better at it.
Asclepius.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by idacraw)
honestly it’s the opposite for me , i feel as if i will be bad at it . but it sounds fun.
while music sounds slightly more boring yet i’m better at it.
How come you don't enjoy music? maybe you can learn to love the more technical aspects as your skill develops alongside your knowledge.
idacraw
Rep:
?
i prefer playing , however i was told it’s really theory based .
Asclepius.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well I never did GCSE music myself but I just asked one of my friends who did,
They said that it does contain a lot of theory but its not incredibly difficult and you get many opportunities to play a variety of instruments throughout the course.
Thewanabenerd
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i have heard (from my friends) that GCSE art was easy and music was hard but depends how good you are.
if you can read and play then you might get good grade in music wee cause you might be a professional.

just do what you find that you are best and which you enjoy
ThunderBeard
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Unless you are a musically talented natural, I would advise you not to do it because it's difficult unless well practised.
Basically just the theory side though which is 40% of it.
Composition and Performance is easy but high boundaries, eg 58/60 for a 9
Well good lick
idacraw
Rep:
?
thank u so much .
DaQuestioner
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I'm in Year 11 and I don't know about GCSE Music but I do GCSE Art.

I must warn you that it is very time consuming and very hard work if you are aiming for a higher grade like an 8 because your work has to be near-perfect, with loads of studies and research, and people I know getting those grades basically regard Art as their life and spend hours on it daily. A grade 9 is almost impossible, and your work will have to be like A-Level standard for that. I have looked at GCSE Art grades for some of the top schools in England, and there are always only one or two people out of the whole year with a grade 9. It also depends on a LOT of independant decisions and exploration and this could be an excellent opportunity for you to express yourself as an Artist and really get those top marks, or the lack of guidance that you would usually get in most subjects can cause you to end up with a completely different grade than you were hoping for. For example, I was aiming for a grade 8/9 since the start of Year 10, but I had no indication of how close I was to achieving this and it turns out my projects that I poured all of my effort into are only worth a 7. I can't go back and improve it now because that's one and a half year's work. It's also a mystery for many about what actually gets you high marks. You also get very small periods of time to complete work in, and you can't procrastinate because it'll pile up and you will be incredibly stressed. Don't take it lightly, because we get a mountain of workload. I'm not trying to put you off, but before you choose it, you must be aware of the time and effort it requires.
idacraw
Rep:
?
okay ty ty
lyalucy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i’m grade 5 trumpet and i’m being recommended to do music . however,i feel like the gcse will stress me out so badddd. and i hate theory . but i’m good at reading music and playing it.

on the other hand , i’d probably get lower in art but it sounds fun to fill in a
sketch book.
help. me . pls.
I WILL TRY HELP

I have taken both subjects so I will try and help.

I do both with AQA exam board, so yours may be different but yanno.

GCSE Art & Design is fun, but very stressful. It’s 40% 10 hour exam and 60% coursework, so everything you do over the course will count masisvely. I find myself going in to the art rooms almost every lunch to finish off and improve various pieces of work, and I’m only in y10. It’s a massive commitment, but on the other hand there is no written exam, its good if you’re a creative personality, can be very theraputic and the actual lessons generally are more fun than other subjects. You will also find you improve MASSIVELY over the whole course.

GCSE Music is also fun but stressful. My exam is 40% theory, 30% composition and 30% performance. I love performing, however this takes lots of time and effort and practice, since I’ve never done grades, but it sounds like you would have no problem with this. Composition is something some can do and others just can’t: I can and I’ve done about 5 sheets in a month or so, but my friend hasn’t even done 4 bars yet and is really struggling: this completely depends on you. My advice is just practice loads and you will eventually get better: do it lots out of lessons and catch up if you get behind. The theory, however, I find really dull and boring: we’ve spent a term and a half now looking at Haydn’s Clock Symphony, the 2nd movement, in MINUTE detail and I spend every lesson we do on it falling asleep. However my teacher says we have done the worst one first to get it out the way, and apparently the next topics, including the Beatles and film music, are a lot shorter and easier.

I really hope this helps you!
idacraw
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by lyalucy)
I WILL TRY HELP

I have taken both subjects so I will try and help.

I do both with AQA exam board, so yours may be different but yanno.

GCSE Art & Design is fun, but very stressful. It’s 40% 10 hour exam and 60% coursework, so everything you do over the course will count masisvely. I find myself going in to the art rooms almost every lunch to finish off and improve various pieces of work, and I’m only in y10. It’s a massive commitment, but on the other hand there is no written exam, its good if you’re a creative personality, can be very theraputic and the actual lessons generally are more fun than other subjects. You will also find you improve MASSIVELY over the whole course.

GCSE Music is also fun but stressful. My exam is 40% theory, 30% composition and 30% performance. I love performing, however this takes lots of time and effort and practice, since I’ve never done grades, but it sounds like you would have no problem with this. Composition is something some can do and others just can’t: I can and I’ve done about 5 sheets in a month or so, but my friend hasn’t even done 4 bars yet and is really struggling: this completely depends on you. My advice is just practice loads and you will eventually get better: do it lots out of lessons and catch up if you get behind. The theory, however, I find really dull and boring: we’ve spent a term and a half now looking at Haydn’s Clock Symphony, the 2nd movement, in MINUTE detail and I spend every lesson we do on it falling asleep. However my teacher says we have done the worst one first to get it out the way, and apparently the next topics, including the Beatles and film music, are a lot shorter and easier.

I really hope this helps you!
thank u so much. i did end up taking music which i believe was the correct option for me. i am still struggling a bit with the composition part, i havent even started mine eek. bu again, thank u so much
Student 999
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’ll just debunk the truth about GCSE music, in order to get a 9 you’ll essentially have to plagiarise/magpie. The performance and theory components of the GCSE are fair and suitable whereas the composition is more or less a practically useless component in place to make the GCSE harder and more full in a sense.It’s rather pathetic how you are expected to compose without any prior experience or techniques not only that you are not permitted to do it at home, which essentially means you either test your luck by tapping random notes and chords hoping that it’ll sound half decent to only get a grade 5 or plagiarise musical ideas from existing music to attain a grade 9.Im sure the choice was obvious to those who scored top marks in composition without being born with musical talent or years of experience.

This comes from a diploma Abrsm level pianist.😁
idacraw
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i literally have no clue how to compose im so scared (year 11 btw ) ahhh
elscha_bandito
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

sketch book.
help. me . pls.
I know it’s a little late now but this is for anyone considering art/music. Please. For your own sanity don’t pick either. I did both as well as psychology (100% recommend) gcse music was a complete and utter waste of 3 years. I’m good at reading and playing music, I’ve been playing guitar since I was 6 (16 now) and I found gcse music very fcking hard. I was predicted a grade 9 in physics but no I got a 7. That time where I could be been revising for physics I was doing my stupid music homework. Admittedly it wasn’t teacher that gave me a 7 but in my mocks I got an 8 but then all music homework I hadn’t done started flooding in... sounds dramatic but please don’t pick music. As for art, again my grades were significantly lower that they would’ve been if I hadn’t spent hours on coursework, your skill doesn’t matter whatsoever, it’s the annotation and mistakes and corrections and restarting millions of times that gets you a high grade. Being able to draw? Doesn’t matter. Bring good at painting? Useless. Having creative ideas? Forget them. It’s the writing that counts. It’s all sounds very dramatic but please anyone considering these two gcse subjects, don’t pick them and thank me later.
Alexa0806
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by elscha_bandito)
I know it’s a little late now but this is for anyone considering art/music. Please. For your own sanity don’t pick either. I did both as well as psychology (100% recommend) gcse music was a complete and utter waste of 3 years. I’m good at reading and playing music, I’ve been playing guitar since I was 6 (16 now) and I found gcse music very fcking hard. I was predicted a grade 9 in physics but no I got a 7. That time where I could be been revising for physics I was doing my stupid music homework. Admittedly it wasn’t teacher that gave me a 7 but in my mocks I got an 8 but then all music homework I hadn’t done started flooding in... sounds dramatic but please don’t pick music. As for art, again my grades were significantly lower that they would’ve been if I hadn’t spent hours on coursework, your skill doesn’t matter whatsoever, it’s the annotation and mistakes and corrections and restarting millions of times that gets you a high grade. Being able to draw? Doesn’t matter. Bring good at painting? Useless. Having creative ideas? Forget them. It’s the writing that counts. It’s all sounds very dramatic but please anyone considering these two gcse subjects, don’t pick them and thank me later.
wow.. thank you for this but I'm afraid I take both these GCSE subjects, however, I don't take any major sciences but still take 10 subjects including history and English literature. Up till now I'm not finding it very hard but I feel the pressure building on me, hopefully I won't find it as hard as you did.
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My daughter took both and she would say that she enjoyed art more but the workload was insane, whereas the music was manageable but she hated it. She was at grade 7 in 2 instruments so the performance was fine, the theory was ok but she didn't like some of the set pieces, and the composition was awful. They had cover teachers because of maternity leave and this was just not an area to have to teach yourself.
That said she got a 9 in music and a 6 in art (her only grade that low).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (195)
29.77%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (109)
16.64%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.85%
I want to meet current students (55)
8.4%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.79%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.54%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.8%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.21%

Watched Threads