The Student Room Group

Very stressed about what do to in the future (career wise)

Hi,

I feel like im stuck in mud right now, probs since October, because im still not sure about what i want to do in the future!

In currently in Year 12 taking : FM, maths, chemistry, physics,
But i'm still rather unsure whether they are the best for me? I enjoy it enough, yes, but i haven't got a goal.

I like biology/geography, but is it best to leave it as a hobby?

I know, it's 'late', but once i've got the vision, that's when i can start moving without resistance, y'know?
Reply 1
BUMMP
Reply 2
wow that's refreshing i guess thanks!

but how? i think of uni as a more-or-less one time opportunity. If i dont get ready now, its gonna make the journey more agonising, especially since you need work experience/money.. 😔
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I feel like im stuck in mud right now, probs since October, because im still not sure about what i want to do in the future!

In currently in Year 12 taking : FM, maths, chemistry, physics,
But i'm still rather unsure whether they are the best for me? I enjoy it enough, yes, but i haven't got a goal.

I like biology/geography, but is it best to leave it as a hobby?

I know, it's 'late', but once i've got the vision, that's when i can start moving without resistance, y'know?

I implore you to read this: https://waitbutwhy.com/2018/04/picking-career.html
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
wow that's refreshing i guess thanks!

but how? i think of uni as a more-or-less one time opportunity. If i dont get ready now, its gonna make the journey more agonising, especially since you need work experience/money.. 😔

Nah, what you need now is high grades so you have options. You are somewhat right about university being a one shot play but you don't have to decide now, or next year, or the year after. You can see what takes your fancy - if anything - and whether it could lead to employment. There is no rush at all. You do sensible subjects which lead to lots of opportunities - focus on grades and social life. These stand you in good stead for the future.

As for work experience - you only really need that for medical degrees. Most work experience for 17 year olds is meaningless. Work with the elderly/ disabled/ in a fast food place. You'll get more out of it.
I think if you enjoy biology and geography you should think of possibly studying those, and what you can do with them in terms of career. I think enjoyment is a huge factor when looking at career options.
And tbf, most ppl even when they're in uni or even graduated are unsure of what career to do, so don't be too stressed. Also, when it comes to it don't be pressures into making a UCAS application for subjects you're not sure about. There's nothing wrong with taking a gap year to explore and figure things out.
Reply 6
Original post by PurpleHills
I think if you enjoy biology and geography you should think of possibly studying those, and what you can do with them in terms of career. I think enjoyment is a huge factor when looking at career options.
And tbf, most ppl even when they're in uni or even graduated are unsure of what career to do, so don't be too stressed. Also, when it comes to it don't be pressures into making a UCAS application for subjects you're not sure about. There's nothing wrong with taking a gap year to explore and figure things out.

thanks, but i have rather strict parents. gap years not well liked.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending