Driving Watch

hello8282
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Alright so basically I am 17 years old and I have had my license for more than a year now. My parents treat me like I have my permit. I understand that I don't own anything and it is their choice to let me drive by myself. I have driven a lot and I mean A LOT with my parents in the car and there were certain instances like 3 or 4 in which I drove alone but behind my parents because we had to drop off a car or something. With this I tried to talk about my parents about the only reason why I got my license which is the fact that I don't want them to be concerned on how I can get somewhere cause they are some busy people. One time my dad just came back from work and my mom was still in her sleep so I asked him if he could drop me off at the gym and then he just goes on and yells at me for always asking for stuff. Later when I brought this discussion up again they keep telling I need more experience I don't see the difference in which I drive beside them and the couple of times I drove by self that they will not let me to continue to do. I am scared that this will not go away anytime soon and they seem to be more focused on the fact that if I crash the car the insurance would go up because they told me that I couldn't drive one of the cars that my parents own because my name was not under the car because the price of insurance apparently "doubled" Please tell me what I should do I don't want this to continue on forever.
DrawTheLine
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by hello8282)
Alright so basically I am 17 years old and I have had my license for more than a year now. My parents treat me like I have my permit. I understand that I don't own anything and it is their choice to let me drive by myself. I have driven a lot and I mean A LOT with my parents in the car and there were certain instances like 3 or 4 in which I drove alone but behind my parents because we had to drop off a car or something. With this I tried to talk about my parents about the only reason why I got my license which is the fact that I don't want them to be concerned on how I can get somewhere cause they are some busy people. One time my dad just came back from work and my mom was still in her sleep so I asked him if he could drop me off at the gym and then he just goes on and yells at me for always asking for stuff. Later when I brought this discussion up again they keep telling I need more experience I don't see the difference in which I drive beside them and the couple of times I drove by self that they will not let me to continue to do. I am scared that this will not go away anytime soon and they seem to be more focused on the fact that if I crash the car the insurance would go up because they told me that I couldn't drive one of the cars that my parents own because my name was not under the car because the price of insurance apparently "doubled" Please tell me what I should do I don't want this to continue on forever.
How are you only 17 yet had your licence for over a year? Do you mean to say you're 18? Because you can't get a licence to drive a car until you're 17 so that doesn't quite add up, unless they've changed the law about being 17 to learn to drive.

Anyway, not much you can do unless you get your own car. The insurance on your parents' cars will become a lot more expensive because young drivers have the most crashes. It's up to them because it's their cars and their money.

Use public transport if you have you get to places, or walk.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
How are you only 17 yet had your licence for over a year? Do you mean to say you're 18? Because you can't get a licence to drive a car until you're 17 so that doesn't quite add up, unless they've changed the law about being 17 to learn to drive.

Anyway, not much you can do unless you get your own car. The insurance on your parents' cars will become a lot more expensive because young drivers have the most crashes. It's up to them because it's their cars and their money.

Maybe they are from america and don’t realise the site is british and most answers are given based on our laws.

Use public transport, it’s about the best way you’ll get.
DrawTheLine
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
Maybe they are from america and don’t realise the site is british and most answers are given based on our laws.

Use public transport, it’s about the best way you’ll get.
That's definitely a possibility!
hello8282
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)

I got my license at 16 I live in Georgia
DrawTheLine
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by hello8282)
I got my license at 16 I live in Georgia
Ah, so you are American. This is a British site so it would be good if you clarified you aren't British so we don't give you advice that doesn't match up to your laws.

You could still use public transport.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Your parents have every right to be worried about you driving their car without being a named driver. You're just going to have to wait until you can show them you're a competent driver or save up to buy your own car.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (66)
8.04%
I used to but I don't now (23)
2.8%
No, but I want to start (303)
36.91%
No, I am unable to (203)
24.73%
No, I chose not to (226)
27.53%