Should I pursue childcare anymore?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I currently am at college doing Level 2 in childcare, but I have a serious issue with it. I really love working with children but I feel like I cant do it anymore because everytime I am around them, I keep getting sick. This is probably my 10th time or maybe more than that getting sick since september of last year, and I dont know what to do because I hate being sick and I want myself to be healthy. I think I will finish my qualification this year, then find something else to do because I am fed up with being sick constantly..
Blood_Orange
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So do you think you're catching stuff from the kids and that's the problem? I work with kids at the moment and sure I get colds and stuff but it's not as bad as you seem to have it. If it's a case of that, how close in contact are you with them? Maybe being more cautious about washing hands, being really close to them etc might help?
nabilahhh
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I finished my childcare level 3 and omg I HATED working in my nursery just because I feel like they take FULL on advantage on us and I used to get sick as well. Try and complete your hours as fast as possible so you can focus more on your assignments. What I used to do when I never wanted to go is let them sign them at the last day of the week so I can sign the day I never went on.(it might be confusing if you don’t have the same book as mine) and some of my friends used to forge the signatures lool.
username2393237
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What’s your diet/lifestyle like? Maybe building up your immunity would help. It’s probably a professional hazard though.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I currently am at college doing Level 2 in childcare, but I have a serious issue with it. I really love working with children but I feel like I cant do it anymore because everytime I am around them, I keep getting sick. This is probably my 10th time or maybe more than that getting sick since september of last year, and I dont know what to do because I hate being sick and I want myself to be healthy. I think I will finish my qualification this year, then find something else to do because I am fed up with being sick constantly..
I feel your pain. I worked with primary school aged children for 3 years, prior to which I barely ever got ill. I was warned that in my first term I'd probably catch a bug or two, little did I know that I'd have a constant low-lying cold throughout my 3 years. I also got the flu (the aftereffects of which I still live with now nearly 4 years later - get your jab!), and severe tonsillitis twice (the second time got so bad that I nearly ended up in hospital). Ever since I left nearly 2 years ago, I haven't been ill once. I loved working with the children so much, and I do miss it, but the state it put my health in really makes me think twice about doing it again in that capacity.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Yeah, I am barely sick too. Ever since I worked with children over the past 5 months, I think I've been ill about 15 times. One time I got hospitalized for 3 days in September because I caught a bug off a child and got severe bronchitis, and whenever I was breathing, my chest would really hurt and it was hard to walk and breathe, and my organs got so inflammed. I don't know whether it is for me because my second option was hairdressing as I am 23 and I haven't got a career.. they don't really require people to have experience either because they train you but i dont know. I will finish my college course as my parents paid money for me to go back to college to pursue something I want to do in my career but I don't want to keep getting ill due to the kids all the time even though I love being around them.. I did take a flu jab in september as well but that hasn't made ANY difference whatsoever. Kinda stuck on what I want to do in my life but I don't think childcare will be good for me healthwise.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.28%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (8)
13.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (9)
14.75%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (7)
11.48%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (25)
40.98%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (10)
16.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed