The Student Room Group

Want to drop out but not sure how to go about it.

3rd year history student. Dissertation due in a month and a week and I haven't even got a damn question/title for it yet. I got pushed into this course by sixth form and wanted to drop out since the latter half of 2nd year, but didn't, thinking surely it couldn't get much worse.

I have no idea what to do for my dissertation, there is nothing in the entire course that has been particularly interesting, I have no use for the degree and will not go into a career where it will be useful, there's no reason for me to continue and go through the stress. Dissertation just looks impossible to do and I don't even care about the grades anymore and haven't for a few months, as long as it passes, it passes. I've been getting 2:2s so far when I used to get high 2:1s. I don't care for the course one bit and haven't for a while, I like to describe it as "a cancer that saps any creative thought and all inklings of happiness".

I'm not sure how to go about it. I'd happily go on if I could just not do the dissertation (1 module), fail it and then do the other 3 modules that I have left since one of the way grades are calculated is by the median of all year 3 modules, however, I'm pretty sure failing a module means I can't pass at all, might be wrong though.

What happens with student loans if I drop out? Do I start repaying them as normal, just like if I finished my degree?
Original post by Cuddly Lizard
3rd year history student. Dissertation due in a month and a week and I haven't even got a damn question/title for it yet. I got pushed into this course by sixth form and wanted to drop out since the latter half of 2nd year, but didn't, thinking surely it couldn't get much worse.

I have no idea what to do for my dissertation, there is nothing in the entire course that has been particularly interesting, I have no use for the degree and will not go into a career where it will be useful, there's no reason for me to continue and go through the stress. Dissertation just looks impossible to do and I don't even care about the grades anymore and haven't for a few months, as long as it passes, it passes. I've been getting 2:2s so far when I used to get high 2:1s. I don't care for the course one bit and haven't for a while, I like to describe it as "a cancer that saps any creative thought and all inklings of happiness".

I'm not sure how to go about it. I'd happily go on if I could just not do the dissertation (1 module), fail it and then do the other 3 modules that I have left since one of the way grades are calculated is by the median of all year 3 modules, however, I'm pretty sure failing a module means I can't pass at all, might be wrong though.

What happens with student loans if I drop out? Do I start repaying them as normal, just like if I finished my degree?

I can relate to how you feel a lot, as I went through something similar with my undergraduate degree. I ended up seeing it through until the end, but I understand that that course of action isn't for everyone.

It seems a bit worrying that the uni would allow you to get to one month before the deadline and not have even checked/approved your title. Have you made any contact with your supervisor to discuss potential ideas?

The best thing you can do about dropping out is discuss with your personal tutor and student support services exactly what the consequences of dropping out would be in terms of your grades/whether you can graduate/student finance. The university may have an established 'exit route' (which is usually not widely publicised) which would allow you to graduate with a lesser qualification, usually a diploma, without having to do the final dissertation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending