Civil Service Direct Appointment Scheme 2019 Watch

redtoby
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Paceyw1972)
I got the same one but I live in Durham so not suitable as I have a home and family to consider. Waiting to hear back from an internal eo role so....
Good luck!
redtoby
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by darkshadow1111)
What was your fast stream score and were the posts mainly HEO or EO level?
10.01 and both were available I think
kokonotsu
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by redtoby)
10.01 and both were available I think
Are you a current civil servant? What scheme did you apply for? I'm not sure I get the logic of a department contacting separately, wouldn't it just be easier to do it via DAS?
Paceyw1972
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by redtoby)
Good luck!
Thank you!!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Paceyw1972
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by darkshadow1111)
What grades were DHSC offering?
It was eo in either Leeds or London. If I was younger with less ties...
redtoby
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by kokonotsu)
Are you a current civil servant? What scheme did you apply for? I'm not sure I get the logic of a department contacting separately, wouldn't it just be easier to do it via DAS?
I'm a final year student. By the time I got to AC, I was only being considered for Economics.

No, I agree! What I did sense from the email is that recruitment was particularly urgent (Brexit emergency, maybe?) so maybe they couldn't wait.
haz8554
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by BaseJ)
You get paid more in London by quite a substantial ammount. If you start as HEO you will be on more money than the fast streamers, not to mention the increased oppotunity to progress in London. But each to their own! Just read that only 18% of civil service jobs are in London so fingers crossed you get something outside!
By "quite a substantial amount" ? ? In my department (I'm in the DfE) an HEO in the "regions" gets paid between £28,600 to £31,900. In London and HEO in the DfE gets paid between £32,000 and £35,000. So, the salary in London for an HEO is only about £4000 more than an HEO outside of London.
I can tell you this - I would MUCH rather get paid £30,000 in Darlington than £34,000 in London - given that travel costs are free (I can walk to work), mortgages are cheap (my house cost £74,000 and my mortgage costs £240 per month). There's no tube pass, there's no ridiculous rents of £1000 per month - and that being to share with a bunch of people.
A civil servant in London is a lot worse off than a civil servant in the regions. Yes, progression might be quicker - but like for like you'll have less net money to live on.
I earn less than most of my friends who made the move to London - but I'm the one constantly on holiday. I'm the one constantly trying new things. I'm the one not up to my eyeballs in debt. I know which I'd prefer.
Last edited by haz8554; 4 months ago
BaseJ
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by haz8554)
By "quite a substantial amount" ? ? In my department (I'm in the DfE) an HEO in the "regions" gets paid between £28,600 to £31,900. In London and HEO in the DfE gets paid between £32,000 and £35,000. So, the salary in London for an HEO is only about £4000 more than an HEO outside of London.
I can tell you this - I would MUCH rather get paid £30,000 in Darlington than £34,000 in London - given that travel costs are free (I can walk to work), mortgages are cheap (my house cost £74,000 and my mortgage costs £240 per month). There's no tube pass, there's no ridiculous rents of £1000 per month - and that being to share with a bunch of people.
A civil servant in London is a lot worse off than a civil servant in the regions. Yes, progression might be quicker - but like for like you'll have less net money to live on.
I earn less than most of my friends who made the move to London - but I'm the one constantly on holiday. I'm the one constantly trying new things. I'm the one not up to my eyeballs in debt. I know which I'd prefer.
£4,000 is a substantial amount to me. I have friends who live well in London on a lot less than 34k. But like I said each to their own. Seems odd to be set on staying in an area when its explicitly stated in the application process that you will most probably have to live in London.
sophia5892
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by haz8554)
For the FCO, London Living Allowance is £5000, which considering this is my first real graduate job is a very significant uplift for me

And in terms of costs, London really isn't as bad as I expected.
Rent: £750 (bills, council tax, weekly cleaner included) in Zone 1. 3 sharing.
Parking: Free
Public Transport for commute: £60/month

Compared to when I lived in Newcastle:
Rent: £440 + £100 council tax + approx £100 bills = £640. Studio.
Parking: None available
Public Transport for commute: £53.50/month

So that makes Newcastle about £120 a month cheaper with the advantage of having a studio instead of a shared flat - so I'm still better off with the extra £5k

I'm certainly not arguing that London isn't expensive. But my AA salary more than covers my outgoings with money to spare for savings and holidays and other "luxuries". So although I would likely be a little better off working at the same grade outside of London, and a lot better off if I wanted to purchase a house, it's not quite the doom and gloom picture of no holidays and being up to the eyeballs in debt that you mention
lilyz01
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Are emails about direct appointment sent to your junk box or normal inbox? because during the fast stream process i had to continually check my junk email since it always ended up there.. just wondering if i should keep an eye on that again
Aox
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by lilyz01)
Are emails about direct appointment sent to your junk box or normal inbox? because during the fast stream process i had to continually check my junk email since it always ended up there.. just wondering if i should keep an eye on that again
If the emails about the fast stream came into your spam inbox, it's highly likely that the DAS ones would do the same. You should be able to "whitelist" the email address once the first comes through that will ensure it goes into your regular inbox.
Blobby2345
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by -=|Jay|=-)
I joined as a HEO direct appointment after failing digital stream fsb (what is now ddat) in may 2017. I was offered it in July and joined in November 2017. I recently moved on promotion to SEO in a different department in December 2018.

Feel free to ask me anything.
Hi. A few questions if you don't mind.

1) Why was it so late in the year? May for an FSB seems unusual.
2) What salary did they offer (and was it for London)?
3) What was your FSAC score?
4) Do people will solid FSAC scores (ie over 10) every get overlooked?

Many thanks!
Paceyw1972
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by inapposite)
I asked this in the Civil Service Fast Stream thread as well but does anyone know if a score in the high 11s but with less than 2 in one of the competencies qualifies for a DAS role?
I was sent an eo one and I narrowly scored under 2 in one competency. So I guess yes?
Aox
Rep:
?
I was sent an eo one and I narrowly scored under 2 in one competency. So I guess yes?
What was your overall FSAC score?

You seem to be the first person I've heard of who's had an offer through the DAS while having a competency under 2, so I'll update the first post!
Blobby2345
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You were offered on DAS? Already?
Paceyw1972
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Aox)
What was your overall FSAC score?

You seem to be the first person I've heard of who's had an offer through the DAS while having a competency under 2, so I'll update the first post!
9.87 overall. I got high 2s for the rest.
Paceyw1972
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Blobby2345)
You were offered on DAS? Already?
Yes but the locations were no good to me unfortunately.
Aox
Rep:
?
When did you receive the email with the offer? What were the contents of the email?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to keep the thread as up to date as possible.
darkshadow1111
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
9.87 overall. I got high 2s for the rest.
What competency let you down if you dont mind me asking?
Blobby2345
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
That's very early, since they're saying they start the process end of Feb. Any reason why do you think?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (211)
14.82%
The paper was reasonable (798)
56.04%
Not feeling great about that exam... (310)
21.77%
It was TERRIBLE (105)
7.37%

Watched Threads