The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial college

Hello, I'm an applicant to Mathematics and Computer Science course at Imperial College, still waiting for response.
I'm planning to work part-time during my studies, so I was thinking about how many days I should be at uni. What I mean is: how many days I'd need to go at uni for lessons? Can I work part-time or I will have no time for doing it?
Original post by Sergio99
Hello, I'm an applicant to Mathematics and Computer Science course at Imperial College, still waiting for response.
I'm planning to work part-time during my studies, so I was thinking about how many days I should be at uni. What I mean is: how many days I'd need to go at uni for lessons? Can I work part-time or I will have no time for doing it?

If you mean what days you can stay away from uni without missing anything, then that's probably just Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday afternoons (reserved for clubs, societies and projects). You will have lectures, labs, tutorials, problems classes etc. every day. Apart from weekly maths tests and group tutorials, attendence is not recorded for these things. But I wouldn't recommend skipping them, as it's easy to fall far behind if you try learning things at your own pace rather than following the timetable.
I know a couple people who do tutoring to make a little extra money, but very few do any other part time work.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Deltahedron
If you mean what days you can stay away from uni without missing anything, then that's probably just Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday afternoons (reserved for clubs, societies and projects). You will have lectures, labs, tutorials, problems classes etc. every day. Apart from weekly maths tests and group tutorials, attendence is not recorded for these things. But I wouldn't recommend skipping them, as it's easy to fall far behind if you try learning things at your own pace rather than following the timetable.
I know a couple people who do tutoring to make a little extra money, but very few do any other part time work.

Hi thanks for the help.
So you think it could be possible to work at least Saturday and Sunday?
Original post by Sergio99
Hi thanks for the help.
So you think it could be possible to work at least Saturday and Sunday?

Yeah, I think it's possible to work on the weekends without sacrificing your grades. Obivously, you'll have do stuff for uni outside of classes too like problem sheets, programming lab exercises and coursework. But especially if you've got prior programming experience that won't be so hard in first year. However, you might not have a lot of time for social activities.

Quick Reply

Latest