Ladies, have you ever been mistaken for a prostitute? Watch

ThomH97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Clementine Crawford had a favourite restaurant in New York that she liked to eat alone at at the bar. After some time, she was told she couldn't sit at the bar and was moved to a table, and when she asked why, she was told there was a 'crackdown on hookers'. The BBC article (which also seems to be an advert for the three individuals' careers) has anecdotes from two other women who have experienced similar.

I'm not sure what the article is trying to say when it asserts that most women have a vague sense of vulnerability when eating out alone. I do too until I am actively munching on my food, and even then I'm hoping the waiter/tress doesn't ask me how is my food mid-mouthful as they always do. Waiting to be seated, waiting to order, waiting for food and waiting for the bill mean you're depending on someone else to do what you're not certain they're doing. I don't worry about being suspected of being a prostitute, though, but then I don't imagine I wear the same outfit as one as Gloria Atanmo apparently did in Rome. I don't think feeling vulnerable when alone in a restaurant is exclusive to women, and certainly not messing about on your phone as a 'shield'.

Have you been mistaken for a prostitute? I've been mistaken for a smoker (many, many times), a drug user (a few times) and by a prostitute as a potential customer (twice) just walking around. Perhaps I looked like those things on the day, or perhaps I was just randomly asked as one of many for simply being in the vicinity of the person asking.
certain some1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ThomH97)
Clementine Crawford had a favourite restaurant in New York that she liked to eat alone at at the bar. After some time, she was told she couldn't sit at the bar and was moved to a table, and when she asked why, she was told there was a 'crackdown on hookers'. The BBC article (which also seems to be an advert for the three individuals' careers) has anecdotes from two other women who have experienced similar.

I'm not sure what the article is trying to say when it asserts that most women have a vague sense of vulnerability when eating out alone. I do too until I am actively munching on my food, and even then I'm hoping the waiter/tress doesn't ask me how is my food mid-mouthful as they always do. Waiting to be seated, waiting to order, waiting for food and waiting for the bill mean you're depending on someone else to do what you're not certain they're doing. I don't worry about being suspected of being a prostitute, though, but then I don't imagine I wear the same outfit as one as Gloria Atanmo apparently did in Rome. I don't think feeling vulnerable when alone in a restaurant is exclusive to women, and certainly not messing about on your phone as a 'shield'.

Have you been mistaken for a prostitute? I've been mistaken for a smoker (many, many times), a drug user (a few times) and by a prostitute as a potential customer (twice) just walking around. Perhaps I looked like those things on the day, or perhaps I was just randomly asked as one of many for simply being in the vicinity of the person asking.
wow!
ive only being accused of drugs lmao
Lady Jamie
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hahaha oh my...

No, but I was once offered a job at a strip club. :rofl: Wasn't wearing anything promiscuous but they mistook my nervous laughter/defense mechanism as interest and tried to get me to go inside. Had to explain to them that I was underage (17 at the time) - thankfully the law stopped them.

It did make me reconsider my options tho, just in case uni doesn't work out :flute: Haha jokes...jokes...:innocent:
Violet Femme
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No but I did have some creep offer me money so he could film me.

I suspect you can now find him in TSR’s relationship forum explaining why he can’t get a girlfriend.
Stiff Little Fingers
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Violet Femme)
No but I did have some creep offer me money so he could film me.

I suspect you can now find him in TSR’s relationship forum explaining why he can’t get a girlfriend.
Let me guess, his wrists and his weak chin?

That restaurants response baffles as well - are they viewing her eating alone as some sort of attempt at solicitation?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (38)
10%
I used to but I don't now (12)
3.16%
No, but I want to start (137)
36.05%
No, I am unable to (86)
22.63%
No, I chose not to (107)
28.16%