Boyfriend has scratchcard addiction Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
This started on Christmas 2017. I don’t gamble, but I bought him some scratchcards, and put them in his stocking. ( it’s kind of a family thing, been doing it for years) Anyway, he won £50 on one of them, and ever since then, he’s been hooked. He would buy a couple a week which wasn’t so bad, but since he won £200 a few months ago, it’s gotten much worse. Anywhere we go, he has to spend at least £30 on them. If I tell him that I’m just popping to the shop for some milk, he’ll tell me to buy him some scratchcards. He will hide them in his drawer so that I won’t see them in the bin. His mum told me that he bought a full pack from Tesco the other day (he spent £120) and begged her not to tell me. I have brought it up with him that he might have a problem but he’s in complete denial. I obviously feel like it’s all my fault but never in a million years did I think something like this would happen. What can I do?
Rock Fan
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
This started on Christmas 2017. I don’t gamble, but I bought him some scratchcards, and put them in his stocking. ( it’s kind of a family thing, been doing it for years) Anyway, he won £50 on one of them, and ever since then, he’s been hooked. He would buy a couple a week which wasn’t so bad, but since he won £200 a few months ago, it’s gotten much worse. Anywhere we go, he has to spend at least £30 on them. If I tell him that I’m just popping to the shop for some milk, he’ll tell me to buy him some scratchcards. He will hide them in his drawer so that I won’t see them in the bin. His mum told me that he bought a full pack from Tesco the other day (he spent £120) and begged her not to tell me. I have brought it up with him that he might have a problem but he’s in complete denial. I obviously feel like it’s all my fault but never in a million years did I think something like this would happen. What can I do?
You can try talking to him, but until he admits he has a problem he will keep doing it, question is do you want to put up with it? At the same time it is his life at the end of the day.
TheNamesBond.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You could stage an intervention, may him fully aware of his actions and how they are damaging his and your life together.
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Dump him. Don't bother messing around in his addiction when you're not going marry him. Leave him be. Scratchcars are stupid wastes of money. You can't change him. You won't make him see the light
MaxReid
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
All you did was buy a present - it's not your fault he's addicted.

I'd let him keep going until he realises it's a waste of money.
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I think he needs to get help. His family and yourself need to talk to him about what he is doing. Doing the odd scratchcard now and again is fine, but when you are spending so much money and buying so many scratchcards each time, it is definitely a problem. If he doesn't get help and try to resolve his issues, it will continue to take over his life.

I don't think you are to blame for buying him scratchcards.
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It would appear that he has an addictive personality.

Some people are jut built like that. The short term dopamine rush they get from following their addiction outweighs the medium to long term losses for them.

Chances are, if he weren't addicted to scratchcards, he'd be addicted to something else. And if he ever kicks the scratchcard habit it'll be because he's replaced it with something else.

Miss Madie's advice was spot on. Dump him.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (22)
14.57%
Yes - a food allergy (14)
9.27%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (4)
2.65%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (6)
3.97%
No (105)
69.54%

Watched Threads