Got a U in my mock !!!!! Predicted an A* Watch

ShikaMekiFuka
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Bit of context , I got nothing but A*s ( 90%) in all my maths assessment from Year 12 till year 13 of Autumn, got a Gold Senior Maths Challenge . From winter last year everything started to go downhill , I overworked myself too much to the point where nothing came in but did not realise this until 2 weeks ago .

I sat a mock 2 weeks ago got U in maths . Yes , a U! . At that moment on , I just cried for hours ngl . All I remember from the exam is that I got paralysed when I looked at the very simple functions question. I just couldn’t do anything , it felt like It was a very hard question at the time but it isn’t because after the exam I could easily visualise the answer and the approach I should have taken . Well after the first question, the same thing happened for all the questions I couldn’t , the more I flicked through , the more emotional I got to the point where I stopped writing . I did not write anything after question 3.

My question is how can I make sure I avoid this before my first a level paper in June ? If you were a teacher and saw this happen to your student what would u think ?

Reality Check tagged u since I think u mentioned u were a teacher
Last edited by ShikaMekiFuka; 4 weeks ago
CoffeeAndPolitics
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ShikaMekiFuka)
Bit of context , I got nothing but A*s ( 90%) in all my maths assessment from Year 12 till year 13 of Autumn, got a Gold Senior Maths Challenge . From winter last year everything started to go downhill , I overworked myself too much to the point where nothing came in but did not realise this until 2 weeks ago .

I sat a mock 2 weeks ago got U in maths . Yes , a U! . At that moment on , I just cried for hours ngl . All I remember from the exam is that I got paralysed when I looked at the very simple functions question. I just couldn’t do anything , it felt like It was a very hard question at the time but it isn’t because after the exam I could easily visualise the answer and the approach I should have taken . Well after the first question, the same thing happened for all the questions I couldn’t , the more I flicked through , the more emotional I got to the point where I stopped writing . I did not write anything after question 3.

My question is how can I make sure I avoid this before my first a level paper in June ? If you were a teacher and saw this happen to your student what would u think ?
A catchy thread title to say the least... I think what the problem is that you're definitely overworking yourself too much and I'm in a similar position. You certainly have the capabilities to get the A* in maths but you sound like you're mind went blank in the exam. To avoid that, try asking your teacher or even try spending some time structuring all the revision etc. you want to get done leading up to the exams and try to work to that deadline if you can. Good luck with your studies and my inbox is open if you want to chat.
joyoustele
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

It looks like you got too nervous, you really shouldnt worry too much about alevel exams as long as you have studied hard. You're in a bubble where Alevels are the world to you, you need to step outside of it and realise they arent the world. Honestly. It looks like you're very good at maths, it's strange how this could have happened, but next time just calm down a little. Look at it question by question, dont be thinking about the whole paper. Get another Mock if you can.
Stormragexox
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

I feel u :'( I do edexcel maths and the mock speciemn paper was so damn hard I did the same thing in bio i litterally went from an A* to a D my mind got blank but for some reason after feeling down getting roasted bares by my parents however I feel motivated for some reason. I really did get jealous when some people managed to maintain their A*s once they got their mocks back for a short amount of time but that motivated me for some reason, as I realized that even though I did put in effort I wasn't brave enough to face the papers simply. There is still time we can do this
Last edited by Stormragexox; 3 weeks ago
ShikaMekiFuka
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
A catchy thread title to say the least... I think what the problem is that you're definitely overworking yourself too much and I'm in a similar position. You certainly have the capabilities to get the A* in maths but you sound like you're mind went blank in the exam. To avoid that, try asking your teacher or even try spending some time structuring all the revision etc. you want to get done leading up to the exams and try to work to that deadline if you can. Good luck with your studies and my inbox is open if you want to chat.
After taking to my mom, I have decided to approach my teacher ( we barely interact ) and beg for another mock .

thank you , hope ur a levels aregoing well
ShikaMekiFuka
Rep:
?
(Original post by Stormragexox)
I feel u :'( I do edexcel and maths damn the mock speciemn paper was so damn hard I did the same thing in bio i litterally went from an A* to a D my mind got blank but for some reason after feeling down getting roasted bares by my parents I feel motivated for some reason
Aww. I do Edexcel too, I do bio aswell I sat the 2018 paper 1 AQA and it was horrid
CoffeeAndPolitics
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
After taking to my mom, I have decided to approach my teacher ( we barely interact ) and beg for another mock .

thank you , hope ur a levels aregoing well
It's definitely important to see your teacher at this moment in time and put in place solutions so you don't freeze in the real A-Level exams. Even if you don't get the opportunity to do another mock, it's important to be doing exam practice alongside revising over any content you don't quite understand/recapping content in general.

My A-Levels were quite troublesome last term but history and economics are defo going much better since the start of this term. In terms of sociology, I don't quite know what to say - I seriously need to work on the structure for the different essay questions we get and nail that.
ShikaMekiFuka
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
It's definitely important to see your teacher at this moment in time and put in place solutions so you don't freeze in the real A-Level exams. Even if you don't get the opportunity to do another mock, it's important to be doing exam practice alongside revising over any content you don't quite understand/recapping content in general.

My A-Levels were quite troublesome last term but history and economics are defo going much better since the start of this term. In terms of sociology, I don't quite know what to say - I seriously need to work on the structure for the different essay questions we get and nail that.
Love it that you are so optimistic about your a levels . I should adopt such behaviour haha .

I do science and maths a levels so I can’t relate to any essay based subject, all I can say is that I completely acknowledge the fact that they are tricky but I believe you can do it , go and smash sociology !
SJW-
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
what are u plans after alevels?
ShikaMekiFuka
Rep:
?
(Original post by SJW-)
what are u plans after alevels?
Medical School hopefully x
monostable
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Hey, I do Edexcel too and already sat the mock exam and got a C, although I was predicted to get an A. I worked so hard yet I got a C, it was very demotivating, however maybe take a few days off just to relax. I would recommend trying more old specification past papers and practicing exam style questions so you are less nervous in the exam.

Which paper did you do for your mocks? We had a combination of AS 2018 paper and some other things, which was quite horrid!
ShikaMekiFuka
Rep:
?
(Original post by monostable)
Hey, I do Edexcel too and already sat the mock exam and got a C, although I was predicted to get an A. I worked so hard yet I got a C, it was very demotivating, however maybe take a few days off just to relax. I would recommend trying more old specification past papers and practicing exam style questions so you are less nervous in the exam.

Which paper did you do for your mocks? We had a combination of AS 2018 paper and some other things, which was quite horrid!
A mix of AS and A2. I agree it was demotivating but after having a 20m reflection time I think it is a great experience to drive me to work SMARTER. I can only imagine not struggling in this mock and find myself in my current situation for the real one. I am going to my teacher tomorrow and explain myself, and perhaps beg for another mock later next month . We can do it !
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
big oof

you should be okay though, keep practicing - i got Ds and Cs in my AS level mocks and ended up getting As
ShikaMekiFuka
Rep:
?
A big ooff indeed.

(Original post by 134841422)
big oof

you should be okay though, keep practicing - i got Ds and Cs in my AS level mocks and ended up getting As
Bumblebee2371
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Hi,

It sounds like this is not about your ability to perform but more managing stress and just letting it get the better of you. I'd say it is a very good idea to ask for another chance at mock, I'm sure your teacher will be supportive of this expecially with your capability. Try again but this time focus more on relaxing and controlling your nerves, and not putting pressure on yourself. Revise a little but don't over do it. Make sure you're also having downtime, some fun, eating and sleeping well etc. You need a balance.

Goodluck- I'm sure you will be fine, all is not lost :-)
ShikaMekiFuka
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bumblebee2371)
Hi,

It sounds like this is not about your ability to perform but more managing stress and just letting it get the better of you. I'd say it is a very good idea to ask for another chance at mock, I'm sure your teacher will be supportive of this expecially with your capability. Try again but this time focus more on relaxing and controlling your nerves, and not putting pressure on yourself. Revise a little but don't over do it. Make sure you're also having downtime, some fun, eating and sleeping well etc. You need a balance.

Goodluck- I'm sure you will be fine, all is not lost :-)
Thank you . I will do !
xiaochen
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I understand completely how you felt.
In my AS exams when I did M2 in the real exam, my mind went blank and I couldn't think and I ended up only answering half the paper and I got a D.
It was the first paper I did that year, and I think the main reason why that happened because I went into the exam with the mind set of "I'm gonna aim for 100%, then if I make a mistake I'll just get slightly less than that. " But as soon as I got to a bit of a question I made a mistake on, that's when the panic settled in. I let that one little bit completely stop me from answering all the other different questions I could've answered as they were easier, but in the back of my mind I thought: "there's no point... I've messed it all up now".
That's actually completely untrue because I realised after if I did answer all the other questions, I could've got an A anyway. So my advice is to keep calm, and if you make a mistake, move on. Completely forget about that mistake and make sure you answer the rest of the questions that you can do comfortably, and then come back to that question last. I did that for the rest of my A level exams and I would say I had a lot of close calls - where I'd make a massive mistake but spot it 5 minutes before the end and still be able to complete the whole paper because I had done all the other questions and left it to last.

Good luck with your exams!!!
Last edited by xiaochen; 4 weeks ago
ZombieTheWolf
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This has happened to everyone I know, not even just at my school. Students predicted A* getting Es. In my school, the highest maths score was a C, that was from a very high achieving student.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
hannxm
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

1. Don't let this mock test play on your mind when you do your actual exam, otherwise you'll think negatively, perform badly and assume failure. Remind yourself it was one bad test, you've performed excellently in the past and you're more than capable of getting a great grade.
2. Investigate what caused you to become paralysed (likely stress) and work through it (may be a good idea to see a therapist if you have one available). Practice mindfulness and meditation every so often.
3. Revise and study more, look at where you went wrong.
4. Remind yourself that it isn't the end of the world if you do not get a good grade. There is more to life than that one exam, remember the bigger picture and your mental health is more important.
RayaanK
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A similar thing happened to me in one of the mid-terms I sat. I too am an A* student and in that mid-term, I don't even know what happened. I got 1 mark out of 20, that too the teacher was a little generous and gave me a mark for some dumb working. I remember before the exam I was easily able to answer the revision questions which my teacher gave us and those questions were harder than the ones in the test. I have no idea what happened to me. After the test I was crying too. I knew I did pretty horribly. I just hope it doesn't happen again to any of us.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (7)
11.29%
Yes - a food allergy (5)
8.06%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (3)
4.84%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (4)
6.45%
No (43)
69.35%

Watched Threads