Nope, not that interesting (221)
39.32%
BlinkyBill
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I finally updated my phone last week, and discovered the amazing/horrifying new Screen Time feature Apple has released (probs not that new, I'm chronically late to the party, soz).

Right. So amazing because it's really interesting + I'd quite like to reduce the amount of time I spend on social media. Horrifying because I can see how much time I spend on social media now.

We did a couple focus groups with students in the office recently, and I was surprised to hear a lot of them were already turning off their notifications for certain things. Although they still spent loads of time on their phones, I was surprised at how they curated that time they spent. Even just a few years ago when I was a teacher, a lot of my students would tell me about the need they felt to check their phones constantly and would always be checking their notifications (#FOMO).

It got me wondering - are things changing?

Are you chained to your phone?

Do you not find you need it that much?

Or are you consciously managing the amount of time you spend on it?
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes I am, but it's not like I'm addicted to anything in particular, I just do it when I'm sat down for something to do with my hands. I will check a couple of social media sites, but I find myself picking up my phone to refresh them - but I don't always read everything even if there's something new, so I don't know why I do it. So yeah, my phone is often in my hand, but I do very little on it. I'll often check my banking app to see what my balance is even though I know full well it's the same as when I last checked it. Silly really.
mpaprika
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It just builds up throughout the day, waiting for my friends so I go on my phone, bored with wifi so I look at my photos etc etc. My limit is usually 2 hours a day but its more like 3 now
Sinnoh
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Back in June, for that entire month I listed what I spent every half hour doing. Boy it's not a nice thing to see. I go on my laptop a lot more than my phone though.
I don't really get any FOMO though. Like, I just don't care. And I don't go on it that much during school either. It's mainly on the way to and from school, but I should still use it less during that time.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
BlinkyBill
  • TSR Community Team
Rep:
?
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
Yes I am, but it's not like I'm addicted to anything in particular, I just do it when I'm sat down for something to do with my hands. I will check a couple of social media sites, but I find myself picking up my phone to refresh them - but I don't always read everything even if there's something new, so I don't know why I do it. So yeah, my phone is often in my hand, but I do very little on it. I'll often check my banking app to see what my balance is even though I know full well it's the same as when I last checked it. Silly really.
Ahhh I'm so glad it's not just me! I've caught myself doing exactly the same thing over the past couple weeks. It's just habit now, and I'm the same, barely look at anything and largely realise I don't care what's happening. A couple of times I've put it in a different room so I can't see it around me. How terrible!

(Original post by mpaprika)
It just builds up throughout the day, waiting for my friends so I go on my phone, bored with wifi so I look at my photos etc etc. My limit is usually 2 hours a day but its more like 3 now
Like while you're waiting for your friends in real life, or waiting for them to come online? Does the amount of time you spend on your phone worry you at all?

(Original post by Sinnoh)
Back in June, for that entire month I listed what I spent every half hour doing. Boy it's not a nice thing to see. I go on my laptop a lot more than my phone though.
I don't really get any FOMO though. Like, I just don't care. And I don't go on it that much during school either. It's mainly on the way to and from school, but I should still use it less during that time.
Oh wow that's really interesting! What were the sorts of things you spent most of your mobile phone time? I'm interested in the fact that you don't feel FOMO. I remember my old students were really plagued by it. Why does the amount of time you spend on your phone worry you?
IDOZ
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm trying not to go on it as much.
Although, my brother used to have his iPad with him 100% of the time, even if it was out of battery or he wasnt using it. - He's only allowed on it for 1/2 an hour a day now.
Ahmadbana
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes always on my phone when I don’t have something to do. I don’t read books anymore because i spend my free time scrolling on facebook and instagram and chatting with friends
SoulfulTwist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes when I'm bored and not doing something mind consuming or extremely fun or hands on... I tend to use my phone. Which is a lot.
sknudson
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I grew up in Canada where mobiles are still relatively fledgling tech. Even today, the majority of the country only sees 2G if they have a tower at all (the majority of populated rural Canada isn't on a tower) and 3G is limited to the most central of urban cities on monopolized networks who control territories. However, the second you leave their network coverage you're out in the dark and you'll be on 2G if you even tilt your phone the wrong way. It either wouldn't make sense or be hugely inconvenient to use mobiles like we do over here in the UK unless you happen to live in one of the major cities and stay put. Contracts are ridiculously expensive by comparison, too.

I moved over here when I was 15 and didn't understand the obsession with phones - and we're talking flip phones, Nokia bricks, cinema tickets with Orange, etc. I still don't understand their appeal today. I own a 1st Gen Moto G and I'd sincerely love to get rid of it, but having a mobile is such a necessity of British lifestyle that it'd be impossible to do so and still be remotely functional in society. All the things that need a mobile number for registrations, apps to stay in touch with work colleagues or send in timesheets, download this app to vote for this TV show or get a boarding pass for a flight, and all the general BS that comes being increasingly attached to them does my head in.

My phone permanently lives on my bedside table and never leaves the house with me other than in cases of true emergency when someone might need to get in touch urgently (cat at the vet, family illness). That isn't going to change anytime soon. I don't associate with phone people either. If you're more concerned with tapping a screen than hanging out and having actual experiences, then you're on your own. There's nothing more unattractive than phone people and they're arguably the worst of all of the current hated personalities.
GetTheLondonLook
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m chained to my fridge
BlinkyBill
  • TSR Community Team
Rep:
?
(Original post by IDOZ)
I'm trying not to go on it as much.
Although, my brother used to have his iPad with him 100% of the time, even if it was out of battery or he wasnt using it. - He's only allowed on it for 1/2 an hour a day now.
How come you decided to try and use your phone less? Was there a particular reason it worried you? Wow, that's interesting that you're brother was so attached to his ipad! Why did he keep it with him even though he wasn't using it?

(Original post by Ahmadbana)
Yes always on my phone when I don’t have something to do. I don’t read books anymore because i spend my free time scrolling on facebook and instagram and chatting with friends
Oh really? I actually noticed I was reading less too. I'm trying to make an effort at the moment to read more. Do you miss it?
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I could live without my phone. I'd kill anyone who tried to take away my laptop, though.
PureHeroine
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I can live without my phone because i only got one last month. Im still new at it and i suck at modern technology. I spend an hour or two a day due to revision apps and games i like to scroll through. My contacts are quite limited and i haven't sent any texts or called people yet. I use my phone at home and rarely when i leave the house.

I adore my laptop and i find it hard to reduce the amount of time spent listening to music. Life is so unfulfilling without mindlessly scrolling on the internet. When i visit my village in India there is no WiFi and i find it painful going months without internet. Books help fill that gaping hole but its not the same.
mpaprika
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Like while you're waiting for your friends in real life, or waiting for them to come online? Does the amount of time you spend on your phone worry you at all?

If I'm waiting for my friends to leave their classroom or I'm waiting by myself outside of the classroom. It worries me how quickly everything builds up, but in reality the time that I spend on my phone isn't always on social media - I use quizlet or I'm copying up from a lesson I missed.
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I've never had a smartphone and use computers more than phones.
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
To my surprise, it told me I spend on average 10 hours a week...I could swear it should be way over 24 but oh well, apparently not
04MR17
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have most notifications turned off so I'm not constantly checking. I find it healthier to go into an app when bored and browse than be constantly going in and out of an app because something's happened.

Due to what I'd call an unhealthy addiction I took time off TSR in 2017 over the period of lent. I found it a little difficult but I'm glad I did it.
AngryJellyfish
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
My phone has Connect 4 on it. Kills time while I'm waiting for buses, but that's about it.

Also, #Mobile phonesExists!
Sinnoh
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by BlinkyBill)
Oh wow that's really interesting! What were the sorts of things you spent most of your mobile phone time? I'm interested in the fact that you don't feel FOMO. I remember my old students were really plagued by it. Why does the amount of time you spend on your phone worry you?
Mainly on my phone it's: checking TSR, checking if the trains are cancelled (now a necessary part of my morning routine), checking emails, going on Discord, occasionally go on reddit, and also checking the group chat I'm in with friends.
The reason I don't get FOMO is because... well, what am I missing out on? If my friends were planning to go out then they'd notify me, and they do. Is it conversation that I'm missing out on? Ehhh not really, I'm generally happy to pass my evenings by myself. On the occasion that I open my phone to see that I have 400 unread messages on Whatsapp, I just don't care. It's not important, there are no wider consequences, it won't kill me to not have been involved.

I think having some idle time to collect your thoughts is really important. It helps you to retain the ability to focus, to maintain a healthy attention span - which, I think over-use of screens now is adversely affecting. If I were to have this idle time at home it's arguable that I could instead be spending my time in a more visibly beneficial way - like doing my homework, practising guitar, exercising, that sort of thing. But commuting to school, I don't read books, I don't do schoolwork, the only thing I might do is go on my phone and I know that I flat-out don't need to. So it's the perfect time for me to just have a nice think about stuff. Preferably important stuff, because important things should be thought about carefully.
soIiIoquy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
if im going to be honest, i feel like I am addicted to my phone. i feel like im contantly checking through social media :/

i really want to find a way in which i could use my phone less and it distracts me so much whilst studying and in the end im finishing assignments last minute :/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (14)
5.91%
No (223)
94.09%

Watched Threads