RanceTheChapper
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Soooo... I made one of the worst decisions of my life in Year 9 and decided to do Classical Greek (after my headmaster and every classics teacher told me it would be a "great" idea to take it). I now find myself struggling as I merely got a grade 3 in my mocks and missed out on a 4. I feel like I'm sacrificing Grades 7,8 and 9 in other subjects in order to learn 2 HUGE set texts of over 120 lines, and a bunch of vocabulary.

I feel like the Classics department are putting a lot of emphasis on revising Greek and my work in other subjects are suffering as a result. There aren't enough hours in the day and I have no intention of taking the subject at A-Level. I'm at a crossroads: do I continue Greek and sacrifice other subjects in order to get a 9 or do I just quit it bearing in mind I already do 10 GCSEs (with Greek included (also my school lets us do 10 GCSEs max))

Please let me know, I only have 12 more weeks of teaching!
Last edited by RanceTheChapper; 2 years ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RanceTheChapper)
Soooo... I made one of the worst decisions of my life in Year 9 and decided to do Classical Greek (after my headmaster and every classics teacher told me it would be a "great" idea to take it). I now find myself struggling as I merely got a grade 3 in my mocks and missed out on a 4. I feel like I'm sacrificing Grades 7,8 and 9 in other subjects in order to learn 2 HUGE set texts of over 120 lines, and a bunch of vocabulary.

I feel like the Classics department are putting a lot of emphasis on revising Greek and my work in other subjects are suffering as a result. There aren't enough hours in the day and I have no intention of taking the subject at A-Level. I'm at a crossroads: do I continue Greek and sacrifice other subjects in order to get a 9 or do I just quit it bearing in mind I already do 10 GCSEs (with Greek included (also my school lets us do 10 GCSEs max))

Please let me know, I only have 12 more weeks of teaching!
Talk to parents and explain it is jeopardising other subjects.
Talk to school but drop it.
Alternatively if they wont let you then simply stop studying it.
Unis wont see any difference between 9 or 10 or whether one is Greek or not.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.56%
Uncertainty around my education (35)
10.94%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (37)
11.56%
Lack of purpose or motivation (46)
14.38%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
5.31%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (14)
4.38%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (31)
9.69%
Financial worries (22)
6.88%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (14)
4.38%
Exposure to negative news/social media (19)
5.94%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
1.88%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (34)
10.63%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (24)
7.5%

Watched Threads