Not losing weight Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello,

I’m 6’7, not really active, eat less than 1,500 calories a day and I’m still not losing weight. Why?

Emily
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ddsizebra
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
at 6ft 7 I'm asuming you are a man (since not alot of women could grow that tall). 1500 is very low for a man especially of someone your height. The reason why you're not losing weight is that your body has detected low calorie intake and therefore has slowed its metabolism to counter the effect in order to survive. You need to be very careful and stop consuming so little calorie otherwise your body wil eat itself (digesting protein, skipping fat stores as protein is easier to break down). Also if you are drinking alcohol, just remember 1 glass has from 300 to 600 calories becayse alcohol is fermented sugar. so already it makes 1/3 of your daily calorie intake. Also you maybe binging without even knowing. Exercising is essential to losing weight since the body will use the sugar and prevent them from turning into fat. The your body starts using fats (it will not use protein since muscles are in use and therefore require protein to repair tissue).
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ddsizebra)
at 6ft 7 I'm asuming you are a man (since not alot of women could grow that tall). 1500 is very low for a man especially of someone your height. The reason why you're not losing weight is that your body has detected low calorie intake and therefore has slowed its metabolism to counter the effect in order to survive. You need to be very careful and stop consuming so little calorie otherwise your body wil eat itself (digesting protein, skipping fat stores as protein is easier to break down). Also if you are drinking alcohol, just remember 1 glass has from 300 to 600 calories becayse alcohol is fermented sugar. so already it makes 1/3 of your daily calorie intake. Also you maybe binging without even knowing. Exercising is essential to losing weight since the body will use the sugar and prevent them from turning into fat. The your body starts using fats (it will not use protein since muscles are in use and therefore require protein to repair tissue).
I’m a women btw. I mean 5’7 omggg lool.
ddsizebra
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m a women btw. I mean 5’7 omggg lool.
sorry! I was a little flabbergasted with that height. Although 1,500 - 2000 is where most women (with no to litlle activity) eat. moderate intensive exercisng should cause you to lose weight. Try doing step exercise for 1 hr.
Anonymous #1
sorry! I was a little flabbergasted with that height. Although 1,500 - 2000 is where most women (with no to litlle activity) eat. moderate intensive exercisng should cause you to lose weight. Try doing step exercise for 1 hr.
I ate around 500 calories today. I’m scared to eat more incase I gain more weight. I’m gonna start walking for 30mins at least
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm guessing your advice would have been a little different if you knew she was a 5'7" female rather than what she originally wrote, but I've read extensively about so-called "starvation mode" and it's largely hyped. It will slow weight loss down, but won't stop it completely, so you might get optimum weight loss by increasing calories, but it certainly wouldn't make it stop. I found the research on this really interesting when I was losing weight myself a few years back, so I would fully recommend reading some papers on it - or maybe I'm just geeky, who knows. Honestly, a lot of what you've written about your body "eating itself" and not burning energy from proteins if you exercise .. it's not correct. It's the kind of psuedo-science you see on body-building message boards, where people wonder why they're not getting the best results.

OP: Exercise helps a lot when losing weight. It just makes everything in your body work better. I don't actually think 1,500 calories a day is that bad if you're losing weight, but you also need to make sure they're the right foods as well. It is possible to lose weight eating 1,500 cals of junk, but it's more effective to lose it eating a healthy diet adding up to 1,500 calories. Also, if you lose weight with diet alone you might not end up with the body composition you really wanted, which wouldn't be great. I would personally recommend downloading an app called MyFitnessPal as it can help you to record your calories and just be certain that you are actually eating what you think you are. You would be surprised sometimes how small a "portion" is. For example there's a smoothie I drink and one bottle equals two portions (therefore double calories etc) and it wouldn't have crossed my mind not to just drink it, as it was the kind of bottle you get in meal deals in supermarkets for example. Try looking at the food choices you're making as well. Nobody has a perfect diet, but eating healthier in general is much better for you - plus it makes you feel better too, which improves your motivation for weight loss a lot.
DanF_2000
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'd suggest calculating your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate - how many calories you automatically burn by being alive) via this link: https://www.calculator.net/bmr-calculator.html and then take away 500 from this, or something more leniant like 250 calories but also incorporate exercise and aim to have that number of calories a day. Also, like the previous person mentioned, use MyFitnessPal to track not only your calories but also nutrients like Carbs, Protein, Vitamins, Minerals, Fibre, etc. What they said about watching the types of food you eat is completely correct as well - don't overdo it with anything and you'll just be making it harder for yourself to lose weight if you simply eat junk food, or all carbs or all protein (plus feel terrible.) It's all about a "Balanced" Diet.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
I'm guessing your advice would have been a little different if you knew she was a 5'7" female rather than what she originally wrote, but I've read extensively about so-called "starvation mode" and it's largely hyped. It will slow weight loss down, but won't stop it completely, so you might get optimum weight loss by increasing calories, but it certainly wouldn't make it stop. I found the research on this really interesting when I was losing weight myself a few years back, so I would fully recommend reading some papers on it - or maybe I'm just geeky, who knows. Honestly, a lot of what you've written about your body "eating itself" and not burning energy from proteins if you exercise .. it's not correct. It's the kind of psuedo-science you see on body-building message boards, where people wonder why they're not getting the best results.

OP: Exercise helps a lot when losing weight. It just makes everything in your body work better. I don't actually think 1,500 calories a day is that bad if you're losing weight, but you also need to make sure they're the right foods as well. It is possible to lose weight eating 1,500 cals of junk, but it's more effective to lose it eating a healthy diet adding up to 1,500 calories. Also, if you lose weight with diet alone you might not end up with the body composition you really wanted, which wouldn't be great. I would personally recommend downloading an app called MyFitnessPal as it can help you to record your calories and just be certain that you are actually eating what you think you are. You would be surprised sometimes how small a "portion" is. For example there's a smoothie I drink and one bottle equals two portions (therefore double calories etc) and it wouldn't have crossed my mind not to just drink it, as it was the kind of bottle you get in meal deals in supermarkets for example. Try looking at the food choices you're making as well. Nobody has a perfect diet, but eating healthier in general is much better for you - plus it makes you feel better too, which improves your motivation for weight loss a lot.
Thank you so much btw. I’ll be sure to download that app rn. I’m not always free to go to the gym but I was wondering would the speed of walking have an effect on how much calories i lose or is it about the distance.
DanF_2000
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you so much btw. I’ll be sure to download that app rn. I’m not always free to go to the gym but I was wondering would the speed of walking have an effect on how much calories i lose or is it about the distance.
Not who commented that but yeah, I'd highly highly recommend going out for walks when you can. I try and do 8000 steps a day minimum and that's a good 300-400 calories burnt (of course it depends on your weight and height though.) I'd suggest downloading Google Fit which can sync to MyFitnessPal and transfer over calories burnt. Think of walking less as an exercise and more as a hobby (even better if you have a pet dog)
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Walking for longer at the same speed will burn more calories than walking a shorter distance, and obviously walking faster will burn more than walking slower, so both of those things have an impact. I prefer to do more intense exercise for a shorter period of time as it just leaves me with more time to do other things. It's just finding the balance, but you don't have to do loads right from the start. Just build it up slowly and see at what point you do start to notice the weight coming off .
Cheshirecat91
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I ate around 500 calories today. I’m scared to eat more incase I gain more weight. I’m gonna start walking for 30mins at least
I’m guessing this is the same anonymous as the op?

Well I’d try and eat more... you can find websites which will be able to offer a more accurate bmr compared to the average 2000 for a woman

Also... you don’t state what your weight now is? I’m not by any means saying you have to share it but maybe you don’t have loads to lose?

I’ve been through a lot of diets and at one point was giagnosed with an eating disorder all in the process of losing weight...

Now I’ve joined slimming world (it’s not for everyone) but it gives you a different outlook on food and helps being part of a group

If you follow healthy eating (I also write down everything I eat because it’s easy to forget that one piece of chocolate or that couple of chips) and you follow moderate exercise (best form is the one you enjoy most ) then you should be able to lose weight... if after day two months of trying maybe a visit to Gp and get some bloods done to just check things are all ok?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Cheshirecat91)
I’m guessing this is the same anonymous as the op?

Well I’d try and eat more... you can find websites which will be able to offer a more accurate bmr compared to the average 2000 for a woman

Also... you don’t state what your weight now is? I’m not by any means saying you have to share it but maybe you don’t have loads to lose?

I’ve been through a lot of diets and at one point was giagnosed with an eating disorder all in the process of losing weight...

Now I’ve joined slimming world (it’s not for everyone) but it gives you a different outlook on food and helps being part of a group

If you follow healthy eating (I also write down everything I eat because it’s easy to forget that one piece of chocolate or that couple of chips) and you follow moderate exercise (best form is the one you enjoy most ) then you should be able to lose weight... if after day two months of trying maybe a visit to Gp and get some bloods done to just check things are all ok?
I’m 76.2kg. Omg why did you get diagnosed with an eating disorder? And what diet was that? I hope you’re better now x
I acc started writing what I eat aswell to make sure I’m not going over my calorie intake
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello,

I’m 6’7, not really active, eat less than 1,500 calories a day and I’m still not losing weight. Why?

Emily
Because YOU ARE NOT at a consistent calorie deficit and are eating more than you think.
Anonymous #1
I’m 76.2kg. Omg why did you get diagnosed with an eating disorder? And what diet was that? I hope you’re better now x
I acc started writing what I eat aswell to make sure I’m not going over my calorie intake
Also what would the gp recommend for me if I said I want to lose weight?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 999tigger)
because YOU ARE NOT at a consistent calorie deficit and are eating more than you think.
I don’t get it
Cheshirecat91
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Also what would the gp recommend for me if I said I want to lose weight?
My stories a bit messy so won’t bore you with details... but I’ve followed some low calorie diets and very strict diets (ie no carbs or fruit) and was actually just miserable in the pursuit of losing weight... I couldn’t enjoy life and the things and people around me

The Gp will most likely go through your history, maybe ask for food diaries and exercises

And then it’s up to their medical experience... I’m not a dr but there are issues which can cause problems with weight loss if you’re really struggling

Just take a couple of months of eating healthily and exercising 5 days a week and see where you’re at
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
I don’t get it
What dont you get about a calorie deficit? Unless you eat less than your body needs to maintain, then you will not lose weight.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sorry another thing I meant to write in my reply to you was that you don't need to go to the gym to exercise. The best thing IMO is to go running outside, but I know lots of people are wary about doing that. There are also lots of exercise DVDs that you can find on YouTube and they are honestly amazing for exercising at home. Plus you can do bodyweight exercises like pressups, pullups (you can buy a pullup bar very cheaply), planks, squats.. there's a lot you can do without having to go to the gym, and even if you only have five minutes spare every now and then to do something, just do it, it's better than nothing .
Molseh
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Eat less, exercise more.

It honestly is that easy.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
Sorry another thing I meant to write in my reply to you was that you don't need to go to the gym to exercise. The best thing IMO is to go running outside, but I know lots of people are wary about doing that. There are also lots of exercise DVDs that you can find on YouTube and they are honestly amazing for exercising at home. Plus you can do bodyweight exercises like pressups, pullups (you can buy a pullup bar very cheaply), planks, squats.. there's a lot you can do without having to go to the gym, and even if you only have five minutes spare every now and then to do something, just do it, it's better than nothing .
Thank you!! That’s and amazing tip and I’ll be sure to try it xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (13)
5.58%
No (220)
94.42%

Watched Threads