How to install a landline in my student doorm? Watch

Amy Wien
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello, I've been trying for weeks to install a landline phone in my room, but it will not work. There's a phone socket and I plugged the lead into that but still doesn't seem to work. I don't know if the line is not connected or should I contact my university about this? Thanks x
Last edited by Amy Wien; 4 weeks ago
barror1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It might be worth letting someone at the uni know- failing that just get a good mobile contract with lots of minutes
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Amy Wien)
Hello, I've been trying for weeks to install a landline phone in my room, but it will not work. There's a phone socket and I plugged the lead into that but still doesn't seem to work. I don't know if the line is not connected or should I contact my university about this? Thanks x
I doubt the line is set up for you to install a normal phone, but speak to whoever runs the accommodation to be sure.
SomeWelshGuy123
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That line is for an ethernet cable, it isn't a phone line.
Amy Wien
Rep:
?
Thanks, it all makes a bit of sense now. I'll still contact the uni. Thanks all!
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks, it all makes a bit of sense now. I'll still contact the uni. Thanks all!
Are you expecting to have a free landline? That won't be happening.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SomeWelshGuy123)
That line is for an ethernet cable, it isn't a phone line.
Not necessarily. My halls accommodation was outfitted with both an Ethernet and phone port. Confused me the first time I saw it, as I wondered why we'd be given 2 Ethernet ports.
Amy Wien
Rep:
?
I would send you a picture of it, but it just has a 5 digit number on it and the phone lead fits into it.
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would send you a picture of it, but it just has a 5 digit number on it and the phone lead fits into it.
If it is a phone line it will be an internal extension and needs to be enabled by the university facilities team (or IT). It's quite possible your room is used during vacations for conference accommodation when a phone line would be made available for guests.

It's not for personal use by students.

Speak to your accommodation team - or faciities - to find out more.
Last edited by Doonesbury; 4 weeks ago
niteninja1
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
If it is a phone line it will be an internal extension and needs to be enabled by the university facilities team (or IT). It's quite possible your room is used during vacations for conference accommodation when a phone line would be made available for guests.

It's not for personal use by students.

Speak to your accomodation team - or faciities - to find out more.
Or its just a legacy port from when they did have landline
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (14)
5.93%
No (222)
94.07%

Watched Threads