The Student Room Group

Are cigarettes too expensive?

This poll is closed

Should cigarettes be cheaper or more expensive?

Yes they should be a lot cheaper 19%
No, they should be more expensive81%
Total votes: 31
Cigarettes and tobacco are very over priced compared to other countries. It’s nearly £10 for a packet of ciggies and for some daft reason you can’t get packs of 10 anymore.
Yes I know there is the health issue but I’ve know many heavy smokers live to a very old age. Also a lot of the interesting people at college smoke.
With very high prices, how are poor people and those on low incomes expected to afford it?
Are cigarettes and tobacco over priced?

Scroll to see replies

are you interested in smoking?
just dont ... your killing yourself
Sure I guess...

I think you're missing the point though, tobacco is linked to various health problems including several types of cancer. The idea is to continually raise the price to make people quit or seek alternative, healthier forms of nicotine consumption. I largely suspect we'll see tobacco banned within the next few decades because this is exactly how you work your way to banning something that'd be very hard to ban overnight.

It's not exactly a means of shafting the poor, it's slow movements that are very likely leading up to ban.
(edited 5 years ago)
Yes.
Also subject to very high taxation, along with heavy advertising restrictions and a complete ban on company designed branding on packaging.
The government's way of trying to discourage smoking and strongly encouraging smokers to give up/switch to e-cigarettes.
Original post by Ambitious1999
Cigarettes and tobacco are very over priced compared to other countries. It’s nearly £10 for a packet of ciggies and for some daft reason you can’t get packs of 10 anymore.
Yes I know there is the health issue but I’ve know many heavy smokers live to a very old age. Also a lot of the interesting people at college smoke.
With very high prices, how are poor people and those on low incomes expected to afford it?

Yes, the whole point of the taxes and tariffs the industry faces is to drive the price up and discourage them from smoking.
Original post by londonmyst
Yes.
Also subject to very high taxation, along with heavy advertising restrictions and a complete ban on company designed branding on packaging.
The government's way of trying to discourage smoking and strongly encouraging smokers to give up/switch to e-cigarettes.

But the average smoker might get through 20 a day which is a whole pack and that comes to £70 a week. That’s a huge portion of one’s income. The jobless only get £56 a week and the cost is unthinkable for those at university.
Yes it’s good if people can smoke less but the fact that they stopped selling packets of 10 encourages people to smoke more if all they can get are packs of 20 then they put their health at greater risk and live beyond their means.
If anything cigarettes should ONLY be available in packs of 10 or less with smaller 5 packs and possibly individual cigarettes that can be purchased. It would encourage people to do with fewer ciggies and individuals allow people to chose a variety of different blends.
I certainly think the way ahead is for smaller packs of no more than 10. It’s cheper and encourages less smoking.
But the average smoker might get through 20 a day which is a whole pack and that comes to £70 a week. That’s a huge portion of one’s income.

Again, that's the point. They're trying to price people out.
But the average smoker might get through 20 a day which is a whole pack and that comes to £70 a week. That’s a huge portion of one’s income. The jobless only get £56 a week and the cost is unthinkable for those at university.

Perfect- stopping more people from unnecessary health problems

Yes it’s good if people can smoke less but the fact that they stopped selling packets of 10 encourages people to smoke more if all they can get are packs of 20 then they put their health at greater risk and live beyond their means.

True. But it is still costing them money- spending more at once may cause people to think twice rather than a little here and there

If anything cigarettes should ONLY be available in packs of 10 or less with smaller 5 packs and possibly individual cigarettes that can be purchased. It would encourage people to do with fewer ciggies and individuals allow people to chose a variety of different blends.
I certainly think the way ahead is for smaller packs of no more than 10. It’s cheper and encourages less smoking.

People would buy a lot more, it would be smaller amounts of money being spent. Rather than thinking oh its £10 maybe I should think, they'll be like oh its £5 that's nothing whatever

Going to your OP- what correlation is there between people having a better personality (i.e. interesting) and smoking????
The people are basically funding their own cancer treatment :smile:
The percentage of adults that smoke is 1/3 what it use to be and lung cancer mortality has halved.

The cost combined with the increasing stigma attached to smoking seems to be working.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by AzureCeleste

People would buy a lot more, it would be smaller amounts of money being spent. Rather than thinking oh its £10 maybe I should think, they'll be like oh its £5 that's nothing whatever

Going to your OP- what correlation is there between people having a better personality (i.e. interesting) and smoking????

The interesting people at college are those who do interesting things have good motorbikes and are very popular. Really just being sociable, chatting up etc...

Having say 5-7 ciggies a day at break times outside the college isn’t going to do your health any harm. But having 20 a day might be harmful. So if they sold smaller packs it would allow harmless social smoking but discourage heavy smoking.
Having say 5-7 ciggies a day at break times outside the college isn’t going to do your health any harm

Wrong, try again.

Having say 5-7 ciggies a day at break times outside the college isn’t going to do your health any harm. But having 20 a day might be harmful. So if they sold smaller packs it would allow harmless social smoking but discourage heavy smoking.

I hope you are trolling.
The interesting people at college are those who do interesting things have good motorbikes and are very popular. Really just being sociable, chatting up etc...

1st part-yeah I get that. But who says you have to smoke to be sociable etc. No one
Umm yes. Even 1 cigarette a day can have massive long term effects. Show me the evidence that says 5-7 cigarettes a day doesn't harm your health? Who told you this?

Having say 5-7 ciggies a day at break times outside the college isn’t going to do your health any harm. But

Keep telling yourself that.
Cigarettes shouldn't be available over the counter. Some people are already afflicted by nicotine addiction and physically can't stop; fine. Those people can have prescriptions for cigarettes or nicotine replacements from the NHS. Retailers shouldn't be able to sell cigarettes to people who aren't already addicted and get them started.
Original post by AzureCeleste

Original post by DarthRoar
Wrong, try again.

Original post by Violet Femme
I hope you are trolling.

Original post by Blue_Cow
Keep telling yourself that.

Ok usually 3-5 ciggies a day but should not do any harm. If you have a healthy lifestyle such as running or going to the gym that should compensate. Taking vitamins can help too.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Cigarettes shouldn't be available over the counter. Some people are already afflicted by nicotine addiction and physically can't stop; fine. Those people can have prescriptions for cigarettes or nicotine replacements from the NHS. Retailers shouldn't be able to sell cigarettes to people who aren't already addicted and get them started.

But what if you are buying them for someone else like a grandparent who can’t get out or as a Xmas present?

no.... these wretched products should be priced at £50 per packet. the money can be used to finance the treatments for the cancer, circulatory and respiratory diseases which they cause

smh

personally i do not find people who smell like ashtrays interesting at all ?
Ok usually 3-5 ciggies a day but should not do any harm. If you have a healthy lifestyle such as running or going to the gym that should compensate. Taking vitamins can help too.

Still wrong, on a couple of counts. It's not the number per day (although a 2 a day habit will be less harmful than a 20 a day habit), it's the habit itself. It's inherently harmful, and taking vitamin supplements, which are useless as is unless you genuinely have a deficiency, won't change that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending