student25032005
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
in a few weeks i will be choosing my GCSEs and i am really confused if i should single or triple science. is triple science really that hard or would it be safer to pick combined science instead.
ThunderBeard
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Triple is pretty much combined with a bit extra
Anthos
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For AQA, the Combined exams are 1h 15m and Triple are 1h 45m. If you enjoy shorter exams, you could try Combined. Also bear in mind that Combined is tantamount to 2 GCSEs but Triple counts as 3 GCSEs.
Millsb_2020
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You have an extra science to study for tripple which means more work. So, if you are strong in the sciences, then you can choose tripple.
Double science students end up with 2 GCSEs. They still do all sciences but cover only about 2/ of the tripple scienmce content. Overall it's better you have say 7,7 in double science than 5, 5, 5 in tripple. Hope this helps.
Kancho
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you want to do science a levels, I would definitely suggest triple science. If not, I don’t think it will matter that much. It’s not that much harder either. Also if there’s another subject you want to do and if you do triple science, as it’s counted as 3 GCSEs, you might have to give up another subject.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Triple is just extra content and counts as 3 GCSEs rather than 2. I don't think it's inherently more difficult - there's just more to learn. If you plan on taking A-level sciences, you'll also have less catching-up to do if you take triple.
However, if you don't really care for the subject and don't plan on taking the sciences any further, then you don't need to take it.
Simbasoul
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For both combined and triple you will do all 3 Sciences (CHemistry/Biology/Physics), there is just slightly less content in combined than there is in the Triple. If you are thinking about doing any Science A levels (followed by any degree with Science in it in any form - so include things like Psychology, PE, etc) then if you can, I would always say consider Triple Award Science if your school offers it. If you are not sure what you want to do for the next step and beyond, if you can, take Triple Award Science if your school offers it.

In some schools they say only the top sets can take Triple Award, as they reason it is harder. With Triple Award, if you are not as good at say Physics, you get 3 separate GCSE grades so a lower Physics grade does not affect the other 2. With Combined, you only get 2 GCSE grades across the 3 subjects so a poor performance in one science directly affects your overall grades.
Simbasoul
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by browneduni28)
You have an extra science to study for tripple which means more work. So, if you are strong in the sciences, then you can choose tripple.
Double science students end up with 2 GCSEs. They still do all sciences but cover only about 2/ of the tripple scienmce content. Overall it's better you have say 7,7 in double science than 5, 5, 5 in tripple. Hope this helps.
Although, in combined science, doing badly in one Science brings your entire 2 grades down, whereas in Triple Award, if you do badly in one Science, you can still get very good strong grades in the other 2 as they are completely separate GCSEs
student25032005
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Simbasoul)
For both combined and triple you will do all 3 Sciences (CHemistry/Biology/Physics), there is just slightly less content in combined than there is in the Triple. If you are thinking about doing any Science A levels (followed by any degree with Science in it in any form - so include things like Psychology, PE, etc) then if you can, I would always say consider Triple Award Science if your school offers it. If you are not sure what you want to do for the next step and beyond, if you can, take Triple Award Science if your school offers it.

In some schools they say only the top sets can take Triple Award, as they reason it is harder. With Triple Award, if you are not as good at say Physics, you get 3 separate GCSE grades so a lower Physics grade does not affect the other 2. With Combined, you only get 2 GCSE grades across the 3 subjects so a poor performance in one science directly affects your overall grades.
thank you. this kind of cleared out my head a bit
christellee
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
omg yea same i have to choose soon and i wanna do triple but im kinda scared i think u shld go for it cause I am although im having doubts u just have to study really hard and revise daily. it won't be easy but i think its good cause it shows that ur smart if u can do all three and will look good on ur certificate
(Original post by student25032005)
in a few weeks i will be choosing my GCSEs and i am really confused if i should single or triple science. is triple science really that hard or would it be safer to pick combined science instead.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed